IGNORED

England v. Norway Matchday Thread

CyderInACan

3 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

"I fell in love with, er, Lucy Bronze" four years ago, when she fired in a belter from miles out. Also against Norway I think. Feels more right than being in love with Marlon Pack, no offence Marlon (it's me, not you). 

Just had a chat with the Mrs.

She’s sticking with Beckham. I’ve moved on from Angelina Jolie to Lucy Bronze.

3 minutes ago, Oops said:

Leave Millie alone you nasty man. She’s the thinking man’s Harry Maguire

And she does decent Fried Chicken....

In fairness, she does seem to be the weak link in the back 4, distribution not as good as Steph Houghton. Looks capable of making a clanger.

Thought overall the score was a bit flattering, could have well finished 5-3. No idea how they kept a clean sheet really, but some lovely play going forward.

Random fact, there might actually have been the odd Scot or Welsh person cheering. Randomly, the Europeans are using this WC as the qualifier for the Olympics, abd the top 3 Euro sides qualify, which we must now be. We qualify as GB & NI.

3 minutes ago, cityexile said:

Thought overall the score was a bit flattering, could have well finished 5-3. No idea how they kept a clean sheet really, but some lovely play going forward.

Random fact, there might actually have been the odd Scot or Welsh person cheering. Randomly, the Europeans are using this WC as the qualifier for the Olympics, abd the top 3 Euro sides qualify, which we must now be. We qualify as GB & NI.

Both teams should’ve have scored more to be fair.

8 minutes ago, elhombrecito said:

Disagree. One goal is definitely more than none.

Agreed but, you cannot score more, if you haven't scored any. You'd need to have scored one, to score more.

7 minutes ago, 054123 said:

Such a shame that something you didn’t want too happen, happened.

It's like a disease. Sorry.

23 minutes ago, elhombrecito said:

Disagree. One goal is definitely more than none.

disagree none should be nil never heard n none sung at a game/match/fixture where n is a number and none is number of fans locked out.

40 minutes ago, Rich said:

Agreed but, you cannot score more, if you haven't scored any. You'd need to have scored one, to score more.

Zero is a number.

So you can score more than zero.

Just saying...

Saw it a few times in this game, but saw it so many times vs Cameroon or vs Argentina - We'd get the ball up front yet then pass it all the way back to the half way line.... SO ANNOYING especially when they just tend to lose the ball many times after that.... why not just shoot or pass into the box? They've proven they could get up front quite easily vs these teams yet just pass the ball back... WHY? Its so annoying, You've gotten the ball up there....... why make it harder by passing back towards your own half?

They'll need to stop doing this vs France or USA (more France, USA only beat Spain because they had 2 penalties) or we will lose. That AND the dodgy sloppy poor passing.

6 hours ago, CrazyInWeston said:

Saw it a few times in this game, but saw it so many times vs Cameroon or vs Argentina - We'd get the ball up front yet then pass it all the way back to the half way line.... SO ANNOYING especially when they just tend to lose the ball many times after that.... why not just shoot or pass into the box? They've proven they could get up front quite easily vs these teams yet just pass the ball back... WHY? Its so annoying, You've gotten the ball up there....... why make it harder by passing back towards your own half?

They'll need to stop doing this vs France or USA (more France, USA only beat Spain because they had 2 penalties) or we will lose. That AND the dodgy sloppy poor passing.

Into the semi finals and still room for improvement, that's a good sign isn't it. I don't mind the retreating pass personally, a lot of the teams seem to have good shape and are difficult to breakdown in a standard attack rather than a breakaway. I do worry about those 5 minute spells where they seem to lose concentration and get sloppy as you say. Need to cut those out now.

• Admin
7 hours ago, CrazyInWeston said:

You can see that they are trying to play a certain way in keeping hold of the ball, and they haven't quite mastered it yet.

But when we go forward we are a very dangerous side to defend against

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

Into the semi finals and still room for improvement, that's a good sign isn't it. I don't mind the retreating pass personally, a lot of the teams seem to have good shape and are difficult to breakdown in a standard attack rather than a breakaway. I do worry about those 5 minute spells where they seem to lose concentration and get sloppy as you say. Need to cut those out now.

They do misplace relatively easy passes usually around the midfield (as do plenty of professional men’s teams) and I’m sure they know that and no doubt Phil Neville will be looking to cut out those mistakes.

If they can improve that they’ll have a good chance of beating either USA or France.

14 hours ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

"I fell in love with, er, Lucy Bronze" four years ago, when she fired in a belter from miles out. Also against Norway I think. Feels more right than being in love with Marlon Pack, no offence Marlon (it's me, not you). 

Can we sign her up for City? And I don't mean for the City ladies team

19 hours ago, Moor2Sea said:

As patriotic as I am, I don’t think we’re very good.

Come up against a decent team and we’re going home. 

Got many weak links - keeper looks dodgy, centre backs easily pulled around the pitch, casual in midfield and Kirby (?) seems a waste of space.

Yep!

Unfortunately, I think you are quite right, @Moor2Sea; a quite dismal performance as ever, and I am sure the next decent team we meet it will be all over.

Luckily, we seem to have got away with it so far, having faced three extremely weak teams in our group; a team of useless, cheating cry-babies in the round of 16 and a Norwegian team deprived of Ada Hegerberg, probably one of the world's best (female) players, in the quarter finals.

Fortunately, of the 24 teams who started the World Cup, most have now been knocked out (indeed, some by England!), so the number of 'decent' teams left in the tournament has diminished considerably: in fact, if all goes well, we should only have to face two more (decent teams) before we win the World Cup; USA/France and then, against all odds, probably Germany.

Clearly, given our 'many weak links', it is probably a waste of time watching any more, but it was fun while it lasted.

Roll on Wimbledon. 

On 28/06/2019 at 02:43, CrazyInWeston said:

Why not go back to the half way line?

What you are suggesting should be done is not how the team in general attempts to play. If you can't penetrate and work an opening, reposition the attack and go backwards to go forwards. 

Englands attempt to break lines through midfield can lack accuracy so starting again and sitting on possession makes even more sense than forcing openings in the final third.

Archived