IGNORED

MLB London Series

elhombrecito

I'm not expecting a huge response to this, other than the usual 'glorified rounders' type responses, but is anybody else going to this over the weekend?

I've got tickets for both games as I'm a big baseball and Red Sox fan, and I can't bloody wait.

Temperatures should be close to the mid-thirties tomorrow so perfect for a day of baseball watching. I could only afford the cheap seats though, so due to the dimensions of the stadium I may need to bring my binoculars :laugh:.

London-Stadium-MLB-Getty-WP.jpg

Also, considering whether I should try the 24 inch hot dog... 

15326108-7187791-image-a-11_1561636153506.jpg

3 minutes ago, phantom said:

Was reading interviews from some of the players and they were commenting the size of the pitch was similar to what kids play on in the States

You should see plenty of home runs

Yeah, I think they may have designed it like that to get more home runs, to make it more 'exciting'. If you look at the picture above, they could easily have moved the diamond back a bit and had a much bigger outfield. 

2 minutes ago, BS2 Red said:

I have only ever been to one baseball game, I saw the Red Sox play Toronto Blue Jays in Toronto.

It was an experience and I am glad I did it, but I wouldn't go to another baseball game.  I found it quite dull.

Exactly the same for me, though I saw the Yankees in New York

1 hour ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

Seen a few games on my travels in the US, including Yankees v Red Sox in NYC, and have also been to Fenway. I like baseball, enjoyable way to waste a few hours in the sun with a few beers.

That was probably my mistake, Toronto in April wasn’t particularly sunny!

15 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Baseball (rounders played by men) has to be one of the most overrated sports known to man. That along with F1 and basketball...............:sleeping:

How fortunate for you RR.Something else for you to comment on that you are not interested in.

43 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Baseball (rounders played by men) has to be one of the most overrated sports known to man. That along with F1 and basketball...............:sleeping:

Jesus Christ. Is there no escaping your ceaseless repetitive attention seeking? Simple tactic: If you see a thread that's clearly about something you hate, stay out of it.

Been watching since 2005 (first was Red Sox @ old Yankee Stadium), and have been to a dozen or so games in the States, including two in Tampa last month.

Wasn’t going to go to this on account of the prices, but cracked on Tuesday and got tickets for the first base side.

Looks like they’ll be home runs as people have said, Yankees form not withstanding, only 385 to centre. 

8 hours ago, BS2 Red said:

I have only ever been to one baseball game, I saw the Red Sox play Toronto Blue Jays in Toronto.

It was an experience and I am glad I did it, but I wouldn't go to another baseball game.  I found it quite dull.

Same as myself,watched a few while living there to get a proper taste and it left me completely bored of it

55 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Same as myself,watched a few while living there to get a proper taste and it left me completely bored of it

My daughter and her partner - he wanted to take a baseball game - saw the NY Yankees play some other team and she reckoned that it was the  most boring ‘sporting’ experience imaginable.

Nothing it to it she said, grown men playing rounders with extra long bats trying to whack the ball out of the stadium with countless innings with the game going on and on and on.............:sleeping:

She was  totally bored.....

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

My daughter and her partner - he wanted to take a baseball game - saw the NY Yankees play some other team and she reckoned that it was the  most boring ‘sporting’ experience imaginable.

Nothing it to it she said, grown men playing rounders with extra long bats trying to whack the ball out of the stadium with countless innings with the game going on and on and on.............:sleeping:

She was  totally bored.....

She isn’t far wrong tbf,even the hot dogs were shit 

Interested to see how this mini series pans out. I am assuming there was an element of trying to capitalise on the way the NFL games have taken so well in bringing the teams here, but I have no doubt that there will be plenty of fans who aren't football orientated. The London Stadium does have a certain compromise regarding the playing field but it won't have a huge bearing on the results. Wonder what the attendances will be.

I've taken a casual interest in America's Past-time for a few years and might have considered attending if circumstances were better. Hopefully there will be a healthy crowd and some exciting play. As for attracting British fans who don't really understand the game, it would be perhaps useful to approach it like a game of cricket (there are several parallels) and take a relaxed view - and possibly a few beers. (If the stadium prices are anything like Wembley then I'd pack a sandwich, though!) Games normally last about three hours (like football) unless the scores are tied at the bottom of the ninth and extra innings are required. Then it can take a bit longer.

Both teams are East Coast based and I suspect will have good local support, as well as bringing fans over from the States. The Yankees sit on top of the AL East with the Sox in third so there should be close games. Incidentally, the games are being covered by the BBC iPlayer/site/app.

3 minutes ago, Erithacus said:

Interested to see how this mini series pans out. I am assuming there was an element of trying to capitalise on the way the NFL games have taken so well in bringing the teams here, but I have no doubt that there will be plenty of fans who aren't football orientated. The London Stadium does have a certain compromise regarding the playing field but it won't have a huge bearing on the results. Wonder what the attendances will be.

I've taken a casual interest in America's Past-time for a few years and might have considered attending if circumstances were better. Hopefully there will be a healthy crowd and some exciting play. As for attracting British fans who don't really understand the game, it would be perhaps useful to approach it like a game of cricket (there are several parallels) and take a relaxed view - and possibly a few beers. (If the stadium prices are anything like Wembley then I'd pack a sandwich, though!) Games normally last about three hours (like football) unless the scores are tied at the bottom of the ninth and extra innings are required. Then it can take a bit longer.

Both teams are East Coast based and I suspect will have good local support, as well as bringing fans over from the States. The Yankees sit on top of the AL East with the Sox in third so there should be close games. Incidentally, the games are being covered by the BBC iPlayer/site/app.

Surely you can’t compare men’s rounders with cricket, the greatest bat and ball game ever created? 

Jeeeez................:facepalm:

18 hours ago, elhombrecito said:

Jesus Christ. Is there no escaping your ceaseless repetitive attention seeking? Simple tactic: If you see a thread that's clearly about something you hate, stay out of it.

Can’t you just block him or something?

Just catching a quick look in: Yankees finding the ball easy to hit and are 6-0 in the first. :clap:

6 hours ago, Robbored said:

Surely you can’t compare men’s rounders with cricket, the greatest bat and ball game ever created? 

The two games are more than subtly different of course, but are similar in some of the ethos. For example, if the rain comes down the players rush off to the bar. Hence the expression: good weather stopped drinking...:laughcont:

Insane! The game is now running up a football score and records are tumbling. Is this the London Effect? I hope they don't end up tied after the ninth or else they will have to start the second game before the first has ended. :sleeping::fastasleep:

5 minutes ago, elhombrecito said:

Not really no. As a Moderator, it doesn't make sense for me to put one of the most complained about posters on ignore. So I have to put up with his inane ramblings. Shame, really.

I meant banned, get rid, terminated.

Archived