IGNORED

MLB London Series

elhombrecito

3 hours ago, Erithacus said:

A reassuringly 'normal' game today. Perhaps the batters are too tired after yesterday.  :sweatingbullets:   Decent crowd, too.

Spoke too soon there :)

Whilst not a patch on yesterday's lunacy it was still a great game. Both bullpens shut the scoring down quite well until late on, and yet again the Sox managed to get the tying run on the plate in the 8th. The experience was only really marred by an errant ball tossed from the Yankee pen high in the air and landing on the bridge of a woman's nose, colour everywhere. Still, 50 runs over 2 games. Who could've called that??

2 hours ago, sephjnr said:

Spoke too soon there :)

I certainly did! Perhaps I should perhaps have seen the seventh innings jailbreak by the Yankees. Either way, it turned out to be another crazy game. Crazy but very entertaining. Hopefully people will have enjoyed the sport of baseball even if they don't necessarily understand some of the finer points - I just hope they don't expect this sort of stuff every game! There is another weekend of MLB action planned for next year so we'll see if things take root.

And let's not forget that we have some good local teams on our doorstep too -  the Bristol Bats, Badgers and Buccaneers.

Well, despite being a Red Sox fan, that was a very enjoyable weekend.

Both games (especially Saturday) were certainly not representative of the normal MLB game, but still fun nonetheless. I'm at a loss to explain the huge amount of runs that were scored, as there wasn't actually a load of Home Runs scored, so I'm not sure that the dimensions of the field had a lot to do with it. There were a few innings that from a Sox point of view, I thought would never end :blink: Still, as I said I still had a very good weekend.

I'll post a few of my photos later once I've had a look (and woken up, as I got back late last night!).

2 hours ago, elhombrecito said:

Well, despite being a Red Sox fan, that was a very enjoyable weekend.

Both games (especially Saturday) were certainly not representative of the normal MLB game, but still fun nonetheless. I'm at a loss to explain the huge amount of runs that were scored, as there wasn't actually a load of Home Runs scored, so I'm not sure that the dimensions of the field had a lot to do with it. There were a few innings that from a Sox point of view, I thought would never end :blink: Still, as I said I still had a very good weekend.

I'll post a few of my photos later once I've had a look (and woken up, as I got back late last night!).

A combination of bad bullpens and great hitting. Almost all the damage from both teams came from singles to left or centre field... the kind of scenario more fitting to the National League instead of the American. Both DHs were less prominent in spite of the very hitter-friendly dimensions. Perhaps the NL teams may be better suited with less pressure on the pitchers to go yard.

Did register to see this game a year ago but didnt get drawn out or however they chose to give a chance to buy .Shame as I went to see the Yankees when in NY a while ago ,didnt think I would like it but loved it .TBF there was 6 home runs for Yankees in first innings ,which is unheard of apparently so all seemed pretty exciting stuff .Pity a lot of the fans missed it as they seemed to wander in when they felt like it .Sat in the Bleachers to soak up the atmosphere ,was a good laugh .The opposition was Baltimore Oriels .They werent great tbh .

12 hours ago, Mr Roper said:

Did register to see this game a year ago but didnt get drawn out or however they chose to give a chance to buy .Shame as I went to see the Yankees when in NY a while ago ,didnt think I would like it but loved it .TBF there was 6 home runs for Yankees in first innings ,which is unheard of apparently so all seemed pretty exciting stuff .Pity a lot of the fans missed it as they seemed to wander in when they felt like it .Sat in the Bleachers to soak up the atmosphere ,was a good laugh .The opposition was Baltimore Oriels .They werent great tbh .

Not sure what happened there then, as registering just gave you a pre-sale period to get tickets before the general sale. There was no draw or anything, everyone who registered should have got a link to buy tickets and then it was a free-for-all to buy them. 

11 hours ago, elhombrecito said:

Not sure what happened there then, as registering just gave you a pre-sale period to get tickets before the general sale. There was no draw or anything, everyone who registered should have got a link to buy tickets and then it was a free-for-all to buy them. 

Dunno ,maybe i just missed the link ,thanks for the reply anyway .

On ‎28‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 17:04, sephjnr said:

I've been to 7 Cardinals games stateside (home and away), this'll be my first series as a neutral.

Cards & Cubs are over here next year, so obviously going to that one hell or high water :)

UK Cards fans exist? ? I'll be there next year as a big Cubs fan. Hopefully we will see as many runs!!

Well, it's not looking good at the moment... Couldn't get the tickets I wanted, so offerred me tickets for £148 each - not willing to pay that for teams I don't even support! 

Now looking for the cheapest tickets, but I've had the "Sit tight, we’re securing your tickets…" message for a while now... :fastasleep:

Sounds very like the chaos that is the ticketing for the NFL series games. I picked a suitably economical range and sat waiting for many minutes for a change from the 'we are processing your request' message to drop. When it eventually did the message came up 'Sorry, all sold out!'    :grr::grr:

Had to stump up a fortune to get a ticket for the Bengals-Texans and missed out on the Bears-Rams game...

I've got tickets to Sunday my mate failed with Saturday so we go again! They only released a few tickets as it was a presale. There is another presale tomorrow if you are quick and sign up to the London Stadium website. The £70 tickets are the best value I've heard but the first presale they didn't release the head on middle blocks!

46 minutes ago, TMWANG50 said:

I've got tickets to Sunday my mate failed with Saturday so we go again! They only released a few tickets as it was a presale. There is another presale tomorrow if you are quick and sign up to the London Stadium website. The £70 tickets are the best value I've heard but the first presale they didn't release the head on middle blocks!

£70 to watch a game of baseball? That's nuts. I paid about £7 to watch Baltimore, albeit about 10 years ago. Thought baseball was America's working class sport....

27 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

£70 to watch a game of baseball? That's nuts. I paid about £7 to watch Baltimore, albeit about 10 years ago. Thought baseball was America's working class sport....

Its a lot cheaper over in America but its my only chance to see the Cubs as I doubt I'll ever get the wife to go Chicago on a family holiday!! I'm also going to see San Fran v the LA Dodgers in April in the US so hoping that's a lot cheaper. I thought they would have reviewed the prices after last year but if anything they have gone up slightly some tickets are over £400! They seem to have forgotten the Euro's are on so they will lose floating fans, the two teams aren't the New York Yankees and it is no longer a novelty like last year. There were loads of spare tickets last year (a thousand friends could no longer make it!!) so I expect the same again but I'm not willing to chance it, I think it might be the last MLB game they do as its nowhere near as popular as NFL and even that seems to have hit a peak as well. Its a niche sport which will never be that big over here even though you can watch every game on TV now in the UK.

Archived