IGNORED

Safe standing and persistent Standing (Merged)

22A

24 minutes ago, PhilC said:

Can't see these being asked to sit down.... 

20191018_194921.jpg

Standing in that area for rugby is perfectly safe and is allowed, no issues from any form of “sag” etc.

standing in that area for football is currently unsafe and there will be issues from “sag” etc.

surely everyone can see the logic.....

• SC&T Board Members
3 minutes ago, AshtonPark said:

Standing in that area for rugby is perfectly safe and is allowed, no issues from any form of “sag” etc.

standing in that area for football is currently unsafe and there will be issues from “sag” etc.

surely everyone can see the logic.....

Football fans have poor balance?

I know it's not City or AG related but it is related to the general cause/issue.

https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/plymouth-argyle-issue-statement-over-3447514

http://argyle.life/opinion/extra-time-stand-up-if-you-love-the-greens/

Not read these fully yet, but fair to say looks like it is still causing issues down there- 2nd article looks quite an interesting read!

Sign of things to come at AG or different context?

12 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I know it's not City or AG related but it is related to the general cause/issue.

https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/plymouth-argyle-issue-statement-over-3447514

http://argyle.life/opinion/extra-time-stand-up-if-you-love-the-greens/

Not read these fully yet, but fair to say looks like it is still causing issues down there- 2nd article looks quite an interesting read!

Sign of things to come at AG or different context?

This part is interesting, I actually think it is an EFL led thing this season. I've seen so many things from fans of various clubs on twitter moaning about the stewarding this season.

The big question then is why Argyle, apparently uniquely among League One and Two clubs, has chosen to take a militant stance (excuse the pun) on this issue. There are three possibilities.

The first is the EFL is telling all clubs in the lower three tiers to radically tighten up on standing. I suspect we can discount this since we would have almost certainly heard about it if the EFL was clamping down across the board. No other club appears to be engaged in the face-off with fans that we are seeing at Home Park right now, so it doesn’t look like a blanket directive from the governing body.

14 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

This part is interesting, I actually think it is an EFL led thing this season. I've seen so many things from fans of various clubs on twitter moaning about the stewarding this season.

EFL led, or EFL pushing it, in turn led by SAGs/SGSA etc?

Reason I say that is because EFL are or have been pushing for safe standing- and the way in which I believe they are doing this is to show that Persistent standing can be controlled- that or it's conditional on this to move forward- think it's EFL led but not necessarily with them starting it/leading it outright.

All the same, when are Leeds two ends that stand persistently- and by their own admission a lot stand there- going to be made to sit once more? A good example there IMO.

Reading PASOTI.

There were people with trays selling Popcorn- Popcorn- I ask you!

Would be nice to have trays selling beer amongst other things at the football, but of course we've not been able to drink in view of the pitch since 1985- when I went to Roma-Inter though, brought multiple beers while still in my area of the ground! No trips to the concourse, no nothing! ? 

Also reading PASOTI.

Screenshot-20191019-135222-Samsung-Inter

Screenshot-20191019-140009-Twitter.jpg

Screenshot-20191019-142819-Twitter.jpg

Looks like the old tactic of steward saturation in specific blocks.

Don 't know whether fan/ie members of public are allowed along to this- I'm guessing not! :)

Could be an interesting event though.

https://www.lawinsport.com/sports-law-events/conference/93-policing-in-football

Policing in Football 

The Department of Law and Criminology, the Centre for Sports Law Research and the Policing Research Unit are pleased to announce an early evening discussion on ‘Policing Football’.

Topics for discussion include:

Alcohol Control: Is it time for reform?

Safe-standing: Opportunity or risk?

Football Banning Orders: Effective or punitive?

Policing costs: Who pays?

Fan culture: Where do the boundaries lie?

Speakers:

Dave Charnock, Superintendent, Merseyside Police  

Amanda Jacks, Case Worker, Football Supporters’ Federation.

Dr Geoff Pearson, University of Manchester.

Owen West, Retired Chief Superintendent, West Yorkshire Police.

Drinks Reception: 5.00pm – 5.30pm

Event: 5.30pm – 7.00pm

Networking: 7.00pm – 7.30pm

For more information and to register please visit here

All pretty directly relevant stuff- especially to this thread, Safe Standing elements.

Some good progressive, pro fan speakers too! Owen West might be one, don't know enough about him.

On 07/10/2019 at 19:07, WolfOfWestStreet said:

I went to spurs yesterday to watch the NFL and in the large kop style stand behind one goal all the rows had rails, we stood all game. Assume the spurs fans could stand for football as well?? 

On 07/10/2019 at 20:07, AshtonPark said:

They could but that would obviously be too dangerous to allow, fine for the NFL though. 

On 18/10/2019 at 21:19, AshtonPark said:

In all seriousness, it proves that Bristol sport should be doing more to argue about standing at football.

They can’t agree standing is unsafe for some fans at one sport and not another. 

As I have said before (maybe on this thread), it is fine to stand at Rugby and drink, it is even ok to go to a gig and get in the stands with poor or even no lighting and dance and go mental if you like - that is all fine and dandy. Yet stand in the back row at football and get threats of losing your season ticket. 

It surely is some sort of twisted pathetic joke isn't it, and there is not a single bit of consistency whatsoever. 

I just get the impression that all of these SAGs are "look at me, I'm in charge, and you will do whatever I say".

19 minutes ago, wood_red said:

As I have said before (maybe on this thread), it is fine to stand at Rugby and drink, it is even ok to go to a gig and get in the stands with poor or even no lighting and dance and go mental if you like - that is all fine and dandy. Yet stand in the back row at football and get threats of losing your season ticket. 

It surely is some sort of twisted pathetic joke isn't it, and there is not a single bit of consistency whatsoever. 

I just get the impression that all of these SAGs are "look at me, I'm in charge, and you will do whatever I say".

Ultimately, it comes down to legislation from a national Government- not getting party political, been that way for 30 years which was when the Taylor Report was done, and regardless of party in office- 1994 since the ban came into place as such.

Quality, transparency and consistency of SAGs can vary for sure- that's another problem! Ours definitely strike me as one of the less enlightened.

At work we were shown film of the Bradford City fire incident to emphasise how quickly fire can spread.

Yes,  it was a wooden stand, but what  was noticeable was fans trying to escape, tripping on the legs of the seats. When  the smoke billowed towards one of the ends, fans stood there were able to calmly  walk away.

If standing is not permitted for some other safety reason, then it should not be allowed for any sport.

3 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Ultimately, it comes down to legislation from a national Government- not getting party political, been that way for 30 years which was when the Taylor Report was done, and regardless of party in office- 1994 since the ban came into place as such.

Quality, transparency and consistency of SAGs can vary for sure- that's another problem! Ours definitely strike me as one of the less enlightened.

I am not saying it isn't legislation etc, but if it is anything but football it is fine to stand, drink and dance etc. The worst thing for me about the situation of standing (especially in the back row when not in anyones view) is when you see whole packed ends at the likes of Leeds, Norwich, Liverpool etc etc etc. What gets done about them - absolutely sweet FA. Everything is so inconsistent it is ridiculous, and that comes down to the SAGs who do what they want to whoever they want - or do nothing at all in the same situation in another stadium.

6 minutes ago, wood_red said:

I am not saying it isn't legislation etc, but if it is anything but football it is fine to stand, drink and dance etc. The worst thing for me about the situation of standing (especially in the back row when not in anyones view) is when you see whole packed ends at the likes of Leeds, Norwich, Liverpool etc etc etc. What gets done about them - absolutely sweet FA. Everything is so inconsistent it is ridiculous, and that comes down to the SAGs who do what they want to whoever they want - or do nothing at all in the same situation in another stadium.

Fully agree with this.

Down to the tolerance or the mindset of the local authority maybe? I don't know, can only guess it is the case.

• Admin

This week the Government has confirmed that it will be implementing its manifesto commitment to reform the all-seater legislation covering the Championship and Premier League.

Sports minister Nigel Adams said the Government is “keen to deliver” its pledge on allowing standing sections to be introduced in the top two divisions.

The Sports Ground Safety Authority (SGSA) has been tasked by the Government to produce a new report ahead of any legislation coming to Parliament.

SGSA inspectors will be visiting several grounds over the course of the season and report back to the Department of Digital, Culture, Media & Sport (DCMS) with their findings.

“We want to deliver on our promise in the manifesto,” Adams told the Daily Mail today.

“I am looking forward to having the SGSA interim report and once I get that report, we will be able to consider the evidence.

“We need to be guided by the evidence and be mindful of everyone; the fans, the Hillsborough families. Clearly, the most important thing is the safety of fans and people at grounds.”

The SGSA’s work follows on from a Government report published back in October that said more research into standing was needed.

This summer Wolverhampton Wanderers installed more than 5,000 rail seats in the south stand at Molineux, becoming the first Premier League club to retrofit rail-seating type accommodation into an existing stand. Tottenham Hotspur also installed seats with barriers at their new stadium last season.

The FSA hopes that the opportunity to observe such a large installation of rail seats at the highest level of the game provides data that can accelerate reform of the all-seater legislation.

Adams said: “I will take a decision when we have managed to analyse what the SGSA has said, but we are very keen to deliver on it.

“We need to consider the report but we will act on it quickly.”

TAKEN FROM: https://thefsa.org.uk/news/government-to-move-quickly-on-all-seater-reform/

Man Utd will trial barrier seating next season. Got to be good news.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52443198

Manchester United have received permission to install 1,500 barrier seats - standing with rails - at Old Trafford as a trial measure.

United will install the new section in the north-east quadrant for the 2020-21 season after Trafford council approval.

If the trial proves successful, the club will look to install barrier seats in other areas of the stadium.

United have struggled to deal with the problem of persistent standing for a number of years at Old Trafford.

With a capacity of just under 75,000, the stadium is the biggest club ground in English football.

Standing in English football's top two divisions was outlawed following recommendations made in the Taylor Report into the 1989 Hillsborough disaster, in which 96 Liverpool fans lost their lives.

In recent seasons, campaigners have called for standing to be allowed in grounds once again. Rail seating has been developed to provide seats which can also be converted to standing areas.

In 2018, new guidance from the Sports Ground Safety Authority, the body in charge of ground safety, allowed the use of rail seats.

Managing director Richard Arnold said: "Our belief is that the introduction of barrier seats will enhance spectator safety in areas of the stadium where - as with other clubs - we have seen examples of persistent standing.

"It also allows us to future-proof the stadium in the event of any changes to the current all-seater stadium policy. If the trial is successful, we may consider further implementation of barrier seating in other parts of the stadium."

Fellow Premier League side Wolves were given similar permission for the South Stand at Molineux this season.

Archived