IGNORED

The Pitch

phantom

• Admin

In years gone by we used to get pictures of the turf being ripped up, new top soil going down etc etc 

Obviously with the Desso element of the pitch it's not quite as severe a job now, but assume the grass is still replaced out of season? 

Add in the weeks where it was covered for the concerts has anyone seen the ground recently to see what work if any is being done? 

Good question and not got a clue. But just to add to that I wonder if we will make the pitch bigger? To me it looks like making it bigger might suit our passing game.

4 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Good question and not got a clue. But just to add to that I wonder if we will make the pitch bigger? To me it looks like making it bigger might suit our passing game.

You’d think, and I would like to see it restored to the 115 x 75 yds of old, but LJ narrowed it so I expect that it will stay as is. 

• Admin

Assume if it went back to the old measurements it'd get rid of having the two similar touchlines (football and rugby). 

Remember the confusion at one of the Bristol rugby games last season where a lineout was taken from the wrong line and none of the officials noticed 

Another thing, was it a factor in our poor home form last season? 

1 hour ago, phantom said:

In years gone by we used to get pictures of the turf being ripped up, new top soil going down etc etc 

Obviously with the Desso element of the pitch it's not quite as severe a job now, but assume the grass is still replaced out of season? 

Add in the weeks where it was covered for the concerts has anyone seen the ground recently to see what work if any is being done? 

Pics of Szmodics being unveiled... info suggests pics were taken on Wednesday.

https://library.jmpuk.com/portfolio/G0000dF8ew2kFE1g/I0000vVUWpd3tbNQ

https://library.jmpuk.com/portfolio/G0000dF8ew2kFE1g/I0000Ic2I4eT1aJk

https://library.jmpuk.com/portfolio/G0000dF8ew2kFE1g/I0000Ic2I4eT1aJk

17 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

Are footballers now being trained to do the long, vacant stare?

I thought I read somewhere the pitch was completely taken up down to the desso layer before the concerts and would be re-laid and woven in to the desso within a week of spice girls fully shipping out and then it would be a about TLC to ensure all bedded in (which I took to mean not a spongey mess like Wembley was when first laid and played on too soon after)

7 minutes ago, Meh said:

I thought I read somewhere the pitch was completely taken up down to the desso layer before the concerts and would be re-laid and woven in to the desso within a week of spice girls fully shipping out and then it would be a about TLC to ensure all bedded in (which I took to mean not a spongey mess like Wembley was when first laid and played on too soon after)

Was a bit worried about that as the weather possibly made it more difficult to work on the pitch? Only the last week or so has the rain stopped

33 minutes ago, Meh said:

As far as I can deduce, from pics we saw a couple of years, the grass is killed of by chemical means and reseeded after top surface dressing. Grass takes approx six weeks to grow and toughen enough to be played on.

You can't "dig the grass out" by mechanical methods because all the strands of polypropylene twine which the grass roots grow into, are 20 cms deep vertically. When the roots are "joined" to the twines, it stops the root being kicked out. Kicked out roots equals dead grass. Grass above ground level kicked off with root left means grass grows again.

Grass keeps growing in depth of winter by use of special lights rolled around the pitch and the undersoil heating. £1.5 million well spent when it was laid four years ago. Life span of "Desso twine" thought to be around ten years.

Daughter in law went to Muse concert a few weeks ago and confirmed all grass had gone. So reseeding will have been done as soon as last concert took place.

11 hours ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

You’d think, and I would like to see it restored to the 115 x 75 yds of old, but LJ narrowed it so I expect that it will stay as is. 

Me too.

Did LJ ever say why he felt it advantageous to us to narrow the pitch? As @JonDolman says above you'd think a bigger pitch was more suitable to his style of football.

Narrowing the pitch is the sort of anti football move you associate with Tiny Penis, so it would be great to know LJ's reasoning.

11 hours ago, phantom said:

Assume if it went back to the old measurements it'd get rid of having the two similar touchlines (football and rugby). 

Another thing, was it a factor in our poor home form last season? 

Interesting observation Phants., very possible imo.

Certainly seemed to be more boring home games last season.

I don’t care what happens with the pitch size as long as LJ and Pat Lam get together and agree a size so we have one line for both sports - there was literally 1.5 metres - 0.75m each side difference than what they both wanted BUT it looked ultra-shit and confused many a player and official alike - if they both go half-way between then it is less than a metre in width - surely that makes no real odds to anybody !?!

5 minutes ago, Meh said:

I don’t care what happens with the pitch size as long as LJ and Pat Lam get together and agree a size so we have one line for both sports - there was literally 1.5 metres - 0.75m each side difference than what they both wanted BUT it looked ultra-shit and confused many a player and official alike - if they both go half-way between then it is less than a metre in width - surely that makes no real odds to anybody !?!

The number of times line outs were taken from the football lines was ridiculous. Looking in from the outside it seems like some kind of childish stand off between the PL and LJ...

34 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Me too.

Did LJ ever say why he felt it advantageous to us to narrow the pitch? As @JonDolman says above you'd think a bigger pitch was more suitable to his style of football.

Narrowing the pitch is the sort of anti football move you associate with Tiny Penis, so it would be great to know LJ's reasoning.

I believe the decision was based on us being too  open at the back when we first went up . 

A narrower pitch creates more concentration of players and less space for the opposition to get in behind us.

We have moved on from that .

5 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I believe the decision was based on us being too  open at the back when we first went up . 

A narrower pitch creates more concentration of players and less space for the opposition to get in behind us.

Surely the reverse is applicable as well - we would have less space to get in behind ?

Easier for the away side to defend a narrower pitch..

37 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Me too.

4 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I asked JMc why we had narrowed the pitch , back when we first did

It was done to help our press, or to be more precise help the players psychologically to believe that they could implement and maintain the press for 90 mins  

JMc told me it had only been narrowed by , something like 2 yards and didn’t practically make much difference , but in the players minds. It did 

We went away from a high press last season so I wouldn’t be surprised to see a change 

2 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Surely the reverse is applicable as well - we would have less space to get in behind ?

Easier for the away side to defend a narrower pitch..

Of course , it’s the same for both sides but before we were not generally as good as the opposition and perhaps needed to put more emphasis on staying in games .

We have , as I mentioned, moved up in quality and confidence and I believe we can hold our own against any team so I wouldn’t be adverse to increasing the pitch size.

17 hours ago, View from the Dolman said:

God that’s a nice home shirt

Archived