Shhhteve McClaren

WolfOfWestStreet

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Thought he was decent 

Good passer of the ball, a ‘footballer’, elegant in a lot of ways

Decent engine too

Played well in our Littlewoods Cup run

Yep agree with this.

However, we swapped him for Gary Shelton.

Now, what a player he was ! 

(Possibly the best midfielder we have had since Gow).

1 minute ago, The Gasbuster said:

Yep agree with this.

Spot on in every respect

McClaren was decent , Shelton was magnificent and would probably be in any City side I’ve ever watched

And he was past his peak when we had him

Also one of the nicest blokes you could ever hope to meet

Like many supporters who saw Shelton , on of my very favourite City players ever

Complete midfield player who could tackle , run , create , score , inspire and lead

Yep. He was decent for sure, lived in Nailsea if I recall.  He often gets a bad press, rightly or wrongly , but he has certainly had varying degrees of success and failure as a manager.

recall him blowing a gasket after that injury time pen  last season at home to QPR.  I feel he has managed basket case clubs 

41 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Spot on in every respect

McClaren was decent , Shelton was magnificent and would probably be in any City side I’ve ever watched

And he was past his peak when we had him

Also one of the nicest blokes you could ever hope to meet

Like many supporters who saw Shelton , on of my very favourite City players ever

Complete midfield player who could tackle , run , create , score , inspire and lead

Great post - I once had a few Sunday lunchtime pints of Guinness with Shelton in the Black Swan in Westbury - what a top geezer and he loved our club. I was once at the front of the old Enclosure when he went straight though an opponent and dumped him into the advertising hoardings - his victim jumped to his feet and started mouthing off at Shelts - our hero simply replied with “f@ck off, you’re at Ashton Gate now ...” - loved him for that ...

56 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Thought he was decent 

Good passer of the ball, a ‘footballer’, elegant in a lot of ways

Decent engine too

Played well in our Littlewoods Cup run

But it was only when Joe Jordan put Shelton and Rennie together as the central midfield two, that we really clicked and looked formidable.

So briefly, McLaren was a quality player but hardly contributed to promotion.

1 hour ago, The Gasbuster said:

Yep agree with this.

He had good vision for a pass ,but went missing in a lot of games. Swapped him for Shelton, probably one of the best midfielders we've had. Shelton in this team now.... woh. He was class.

1 hour ago, Sir Geoff said:

Wow look how bad the pitch is and that's pre season. 

No the photo was taken in the winter - a few weeks before the Littlewoods Cup semi finals in Feb 1989 for the special souvenir programme, and as someone else has said it's season 1988/89 not 89/90.

Good player when he was given space, a little lightweight for our division at the time. Thought he was pretty good myself. As an aside, apparently he and his wife ran a clothing business on the side and he would often bring samples to the dressing room, or have players over trying to sell them suits etc.

1 hour ago, Rocky said:

Next to Joe Jordan.

C220B43A-1C15-4107-94F0-A09B2B70537E.jpeg

Wow, that photo brings back memories. 

Is that Gary Stanley on the far left in the back row? Almost redeemed by the 80s mullet, but he was utter shite.

Also, is it Mark Cooper in the front row on the left next to Galliers?

Some great players and characters as well - to name a few, Buster, John Bailey, Carl Shutt (always looked strange without the moustache), Glenn “Psycho” Humphries, Rob Newman, Walshy....the names trip off the tongue. Mark Gavin started fairly slowly for us from what I can remember, but the following season was unplayable as he danced around defenders at will with the ball glued to his feet. 

4 hours ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Stumbled across old wallies wiki today and noticed he played 60 games for city in the 80s. 

I've been active in this forum for some years now but never seen him mentioned.

Can anyone run me through what he was like as a city player? 

Cheers

Wolf

He was fantastic imo.

One of the best passers of the ball in that era. 

Hope this helps. ?

9 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Great post - I once had a few Sunday lunchtime pints of Guinness with Shelton in the Black Swan in Westbury - what a top geezer and he loved our club. I was once at the front of the old Enclosure when he went straight though an opponent and dumped him into the advertising hoardings - his victim jumped to his feet and started mouthing off at Shelts - our hero simply replied with “f@ck off, you’re at Ashton Gate now ...” - loved him for that ...

:thumbsup:

Love that

Like Like Like

9 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

But it was only when Joe Jordan put Shelton and Rennie together as the central midfield two, that we really clicked and looked formidable.

So briefly, McLaren was a quality player but hardly contributed to promotion.

True

Rennie and McClaren similar type of players in many ways

Shelton was the perfect addition to compliment Rennie

2 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Nigel hawkins and mark cooper i think?

Correct

Also Scott McGarvey And our first French player

Russell Bromage was,  I Thought a very decent footballing left back 

50 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

:thumbsup:

Love that

Like Like Like

True

Rennie and McClaren similar type of players in many ways

Shelton was the perfect addition to compliment Rennie

Correct

Also Scott McGarvey And our first French player

Russell Bromage was,  I Thought a very decent footballing left back 

McGarvey ! Him & Stanley were utter dogshit.

Always remember this bloke who stood near us in the enclosure who really had it in for him. He could make anything sound like an insult.

”Get on with it McGarvey, you ******* hairdresser !” ???

9 minutes ago, The Gasbuster said:

McGarvey ! Him & Stanley were utter dogshit.

Always remember this bloke who stood near us in the enclosure who really had it in for him. He could make anything sound like an insult.

”Get on with it McGarvey, you ******* hairdresser !” ???

Wasn’t a McGarvey fan but his scoring record for us was good

Was surprised when he appeared as the man who got Big Sam his sack from England Job !

Not too many ‘stars’ in that picture but fun and happy times 

(I’d have Shutt & Biff in our squad right now tho !)

6 hours ago, DT The Optimist said:

Galliers was a strange one, seemed to get around a lot without being effective. What were the names of the two to the left of Lumsden on the photo, front row, between Galliers and Lumsden. 

but what a debut!!! Was substituted before he was sent off. Fiercely competitive. About 5 foot 4 inches tall and a bloody menace

He was a better player than he was a manager. Played alright for City from what I can remember. Comfortable on the ball and solid. This was before we found out he was actually Dutch.

The first Dutch player was of course myself....Here I am during my time at AJAX.....58A91AB5-9AF2-40D0-9ADE-5577C63F7A51.thumb.jpeg.e035d8515739fbf91a048095e6e909f4.jpeg

Archived