IGNORED

England v Argentina 21 years ago today y

sticks 1969

3 minutes ago, BS15_RED said:

One of the best England performances, even with 10 men we were superb, only a shocking decision to disallow Sol Campbell’s goal denied us.

I thought Shearer went into their goalie with arm or elbow which stopped him catching it

I have this game on DVD somewhere but unable to view it right now.    Remember France '98 well, incredible to think there's millions out there who won't remember or appreciate the games involved, even though it seems quite recent I think we take our age for granted sometimes.

The Owen goal was something special, maybe it was as good as Diego's in 86 but he was something of an unknown quantity at the time (Michael Owen) and didn't get the adulation it properly deserved.  For some reason I don't remember much of the disallowed goal towards the end, seem to acknowledge a similar thing happened with Portugal at Euro 2004.     Even if we had overcome Argentina that day I feel the Dutch would have eliminated the team in the next round but it's all what if's and maybe's after the event.

France won it at the end of it all but were they really the best team ?   Didn't score too many goals you'll remember and Brazil were effected badly by the Ronaldo business in the Final.   I think the Euro 1984 team were better in terms of quality, organisation and cohesion, at least then it were a deserved winner.    That really was an epic tournament if you're of an age to remember but then again, there was no England representation.   ?

There were thousands of English out there and getting tickets was a nightmare. The Leeds lad I traveled with said give the Columbia game a miss as neither  of us had a ticket and gamble on getting to saint etienne early and beat the mad rush of england fans heading that way. Stayed on a camp site with a good mix of both sets of fans , including the half cast lad from Man City ( mickey was his hame I think ) who was absolutely Of his rocker........

watching owens goal was something special and made the ticket price worth every penny 

happy days but heartbreaking all in one 

Scorching day like today, both sets of fans mingling in the square before the game without any trouble, amazing game and atmosphere, pandemonium when Owen scored and the same when Campbell’s disallowed goal went in. Can’t believe it’s 21 years ago.

I will never forget the feeling when Owens goal went in, absolutely incredible. Soon came back down with a bump though!   What a great team that was from 96-98......we should have won one of those comps and that’s not being biased either I don’t think.......

10 hours ago, sticks 1969 said:

I know it’s not city related but just read it was 21 years ago today

a truly remarkable game and was absolutely gutted walking out the ground after being knocked out

like I say many times on here where does the time go?

I watched this game in the then Bohemia top of Whiteladies, two mates of mine took their trumpets and played England songs, atmosphere was amazing, and that Owen goal was the best England goal I’ve seen before or since!  Memories!

I watched it in the White Hart in Brislington (sadly now no longer a pub). I vividly remember that moment when Campbell’s header went in and celebrations started before we realised it had been disallowed. 

I also remember how Beckham was slaughtered by the press after his sending off. 

Archived