IGNORED

England v Argentina 21 years ago today y

sticks 1969

2 hours ago, reddoh said:

can we have Mrs Cider's account of this day?

Her recollection is a little hazy but she says she can remember the excitement and tension, the close ball control, a long dribble into the box, and then it being slotted home. It was when, with the crowd cheering, did she realise we had forgotten to close the cabin door.

Flew back from Australia for the WC but only had a ticket for Tunisia game at the start. After getting tix for a few games I knew it would be difficult for the Argy game but we convinced a lighting engineer to smuggle us in, in the back of his van for a few Francs. He never showed or we couldn’t get close to meeting point due to cordons. In desperation I started walking around the bars/cafes in St Etienne blue collar area with my carefully choreographed “avez vous un billet pour le match se soir ” and snagged one for £150. The local froggy originally wanted £300 but think he took pity on me as I’d come a long way. I never regretted going to this game as we would have won it, if it hadn’t been for a bent ref, a con artist (Simone) and of course David Batty

Archived