IGNORED

Fiorentina visit

underhanded

I will be visiting Tuscany in September, and am hoping to go to a game whilst there. I'm eagerly awaiting the release of Serie A fixtures (I can't find anything that tells me when this will be - any ideas?) and I'm hoping Fiorentina play at home the weekend before the international break (when I'm there). 

Question is, has anyone been to Florence and watched La Viola? Any recommendations in terms of where to get tickets, good bars/restaurants near the stadium, must have half time snacks etc etc.? Also, if anyone thinks I'm better off going to watch another Tuscan team (maybe someones seen Siena?) then please do fire away you recommendations.

43 minutes ago, underhanded said:

I will be visiting Tuscany in September, and am hoping to go to a game whilst there. I'm eagerly awaiting the release of Serie A fixtures (I can't find anything that tells me when this will be - any ideas?) and I'm hoping Fiorentina play at home the weekend before the international break (when I'm there). 

Question is, has anyone been to Florence and watched La Viola? Any recommendations in terms of where to get tickets, good bars/restaurants near the stadium, must have half time snacks etc etc.? Also, if anyone thinks I'm better off going to watch another Tuscan team (maybe someones seen Siena?) then please do fire away you recommendations.

If they are not home when you are in Florence try Bologna home fixtures, it’s only 30 mins on the super fast train from Florence, and only costs about $25 return (it did last year anyway).  Beautiful City as well and nowhere near as busy as Florence!  Enjoy 

1 hour ago, underhanded said:

Serie A fixture release is notoriously unpredictable and late. My guess would be start of August. They have similar TV schedule adjustments issues to us - only with even more variations on offer! I guess that won't matter too much if you're on holiday.

I believe you can still buy tickets from the ticketone.it website. You can also buy from the Fiorentina store in Florence. You may need ID, passport details (and if you do then take the document to the game too). Don't think you should have too many problems. 

Enjoy!

Lucky you! I've always wanted to do Florence and catch a game. 

I think it stems ftom the old Football Italia days on C4. James Richardson sipping coffee outside a cafe, big name players and that iconic purple kit.

Be interested to hear how you got on. Hope you have a great trip.

3 hours ago, underhanded said:

I went to watch Fiorentina v Roma in October with my son, brother in law and nephew (we do an Italian or Spanish football trip that half term every year).

We got print at home tickets direct through the club, I emailed them and they sent a few forms to fill out and email back. From memory it was cheaper doing that way than via the ticket agency.

We got tickets for the curva fiasole which is the end their ultras are and made the mistake of strolling into the main ultra section which was very lively but they didn't take kindly to tourists being in there (fair enough). Eventually we made our way to the side of the end which was fine and was close to the atmosphere.

The view is not the best (assume it's the same at the other end too). Must have been 50 metres from the pitch but that's the case with lots of Italian grounds.

For bars and restaurants, you have your choice in Florence of course. There's not much near the ground though but it's only 20-30 mins walk into the centre.

we spent the afternoon in an Irish bar in town which wouldnt normally be my cup of tea on a foreign trip but this place had a good blend of friendly fiorentina fans, people watching English football on tv and general tourists. Was a really friendly place with a good atmosphere - let me know if you want me to dig out the name.

Have a great trip!

In Florence can recommend:

Ristorante Oliviero, Via delle Terme, 51/r, 50123. tel +39 0553896135. Book well ahead as small venue and great reputation.

If you go to Siena try:

Ristorante da Enzo, Via Camollia, 49, Siena, 53100. tel +39 0577281277.

15 hours ago, Gazred said:

Lucky you! I've always wanted to do Florence and catch a game. 

I think it stems ftom the old Football Italia days on C4. James Richardson sipping coffee outside a cafe, big name players and that iconic purple kit.

Be interested to hear how you got on. Hope you have a great trip.

Too much Magic Roundabout in your youth, @Gazred ????

Noticed when I was in Italy on holiday a few years ago.

Had gone there and took a day trip to Florence a few days before- we left on the Friday and lo and behold on nearby events it said "Fiorentina-AC Milan, Florence". Opening day of season too!

Wasn't so far from where we were, and was a mere 2 days after we left- slightly gutted really, definitely would have gone! :laughcont:

You can get tickets over there so no need to buy before. TV means the game could be played on the Friday, Sat, Sun or even Monday which is another reason for not buying before. You need your passport to buy the tickets and also need to take passport to the game as your ticket will have your name and passport number printed on it and need to have both. Its an open ground so not massive atmosphere but well worth a visit

Thanks for all the responses, OTIB proves a pretty good resource for planning football-tourism!

I'll keep my eye out for the fixture release, and with a little luck on scheduling, I'll be seeing my first Serie A game. 

@Zookeeper WSM I also made the mistake of buying a ticket in the ultra section of Atletico Nacional in Medellin a few years ago. I can half pass as hispanic after a few days holiday, so I don't think they realised I was a gringo, however the sheer intensity of the situation meant I bottled it at half time and crept back to the fringes and just watched in awe. 

On 02/07/2019 at 15:56, underhanded said:

Thanks for all the responses, OTIB proves a pretty good resource for planning football-tourism!

I'll keep my eye out for the fixture release, and with a little luck on scheduling, I'll be seeing my first Serie A game. 

@Zookeeper WSM I also made the mistake of buying a ticket in the ultra section of Atletico Nacional in Medellin a few years ago. I can half pass as hispanic after a few days holiday, so I don't think they realised I was a gringo, however the sheer intensity of the situation meant I bottled it at half time and crept back to the fringes and just watched in awe. 

I take it you are English, not a Yank, and I'm not sure  about Medellin, but the  answer "no gringo, Ingles" would normally get a more positive response particularly in more Central  Colombia. After all Arthur Sandes Brigade Britanica of Riflemen helped Bolivar defeat the Spanish at the Battle of Boyaca near Tunja where I visited.

On 01/07/2019 at 16:00, underhanded said:

To buy a ticket and gain entry to any stadium in Italy you will need i.d.

The locals carry a national i.d. card but visitors MUST show a passport.

Enjoy

I was in Florence in May and went to the Westin hotel rooftop bar on the Saturday night. Fiorentina were playing AC Milan the next day and the squad was staying at the Westin. They were all stood around in Reception as I walked through and I didn’t recognise anyone. Milan have dropped a long way since their glory years. I didn’t get to go to the match as I was there for the wife’s 40th birthday and rudely, she didn’t want to go. 

Never been to Florence but would love to one day. I am however going to be in Malaga at the end of August and they happen to be playing their opening home game vs Las Palmas whilst I’m there. Anyone ever been to a Malaga game? Can I buy tickets on the day or should I buy I’m advance? Any advice from anyone that’s been would be greatly appreciated 

22 hours ago, jambodinho said:

Never been to Florence but would love to one day. I am however going to be in Malaga at the end of August and they happen to be playing their opening home game vs Las Palmas whilst I’m there. Anyone ever been to a Malaga game? Can I buy tickets on the day or should I buy I’m advance? Any advice from anyone that’s been would be greatly appreciated 

You can easily buy tickets on the day of the game from the ground, and there is usually lots of people outside the ground selling off spare tickets etc.

But I'd suggest buying in advance. You can choose your seat online and print them off. Generally tickets are pretty cheap too (they were selling tickets for €15 for the playoff semi final!).

If you're looking for good atmosphere I'd suggest buying near the Fondo Sur as that's where the ultras are situated. You probably won't be able to buy tickets in there but can easily get tickets in the next block across.

Any other questions, I'll do my best to help ?

23 minutes ago, elhombrecito said:

You can easily buy tickets on the day of the game from the ground, and there is usually lots of people outside the ground selling off spare tickets etc.

But I'd suggest buying in advance. You can choose your seat online and print them off. Generally tickets are pretty cheap too (they were selling tickets for €15 for the playoff semi final!).

If you're looking for good atmosphere I'd suggest buying near the Fondo Sur as that's where the ultras are situated. You probably won't be able to buy tickets in there but can easily get tickets in the next block across.

Any other questions, I'll do my best to help ?

Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated 

14 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

First time to Italy but looked into it lots, the trouble will be narrowing down the 100 amazing looking restaurants to 4 nights! 

Bologna better to visit than Florence IMHO

Found Florence crammed with tourists and over hyped

I strongly recommend hiring a little car and getting out into the hills and villages where every town and village reeks of history and stunning buildings , quiet , and some of the eating places magnificent 

The Italian scenery around Bologna is stunning in places

If you want to do Florence and the rest of Tuscany, I can recommend basing yourself in Pisa. 

Easy from Bristol...Pisa airport 10 mins from Pisa. Very reasonable accommodation in Pisa.

Then Train it to the likes of Sienna, Lucca, Florence. Fast, reliable and not expensive. All within an hour.

Florence is like Venice...rammed.

Love Italy though...enjoy.

I'd recommend Lucca too, good base but it is a while since I've been- maybe pricier than I recall?

Subject to cost though, good base I feel.

Village/small town tip wise, it's a bit of a way from Pisa or Lucca but a place in Tuscany called Barga. Nice- up in the mountains, lovely in the summer, dare say quite scenic in the winter? Only really been in the summer though- nice little distinction of most Scottish part of Italy, had a lot of immigrants from there to Glasgow in past times.

It's half decent I'd say.

barga-view-distance.jpg?auto=compress,en

Obviously if only there a couple of days or so not really much point in a  trip here but if 5 days, a week- worth a look IMO.

57 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I strongly recommend hiring a little car and getting out into the hills and villages where every town and village reeks of history and stunning buildings , quiet , and some of the eating places magnificent 

Thanks Bob, very much looking forward to a few days sans car though, done 2,000 miles for work in the last month and looking forward to using my feet!

Only away for 4 nights and one full day used up for a day trip to Venice on the train so not tons of time as it is 

14 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

First time to Italy but looked into it lots, the trouble will be narrowing down the 100 amazing looking restaurants to 4 nights! 

Yeh, a nice problem to have though!  We always go to this place Via de' Musei, 2, 40124 Bologna BO, Italy
https://goo.gl/maps/U2QaeQEt2nYgY5Cv9 beautiful little square just off the Piazza Maggiore.

Basically anywhere around there is great.  It’s all about the fresh pasta in Bologna!

This place is also great and close to the towers, there are 3/4 restaurants here, but a beautiful setting:

https://goo.gl/maps/uQ1SKxsb8CuAZTox6

We stay at the Savoia Hotel on the outskirts which has a good restaurant called Gargonelli’s, I saw Inter Milan last year as they were staying in the hotel before playing Bologna! 

Enjoy!

A7505B9B-0A67-413C-A0B7-11E4CBE56FCC.png

14 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Agreed, beautiful city, but no where near the number of tourists, feels like a proper Italian city rather than a tourist spot so you get the real Italy, also loved Florence though, worth a trip from Bologna as the trains are so cheap and quick, we need Venice from Bologna as well

10 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

Agreed, beautiful city, but no where near the number of tourists, feels like a proper Italian city rather than a tourist spot so you get the real Italy, also loved Florence though, worth a trip from Bologna as the trains are so cheap and quick, we need Venice from Bologna as well

We're only spending 1-2 days in Florence (over the 1st September weekend) and then plan to see Lucca and Siena, but the majority of our time in smaller towns and villages for a lot of trekking/cycling/wine tasting/kayaking etc! 

If we can fit in Bologna, we'll try. 

Still awaiting Serie A fixtures - yet mayb be waiting till August as others have suggested!

Archived