IGNORED

Goalkeeper vs leeds

simon uk

On the basis that no more keepers will be coming in, and there are no injuries, who do we suppose will be between the sticks on day 1?

options are bentley, maenpaa, oleary, gilmartin.

its the first time in living memory we have spent big money on a keeper, and on that basis, i would expect bentley to come in and be number 1.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Suspect it'll be down to who works harder/looks more impressive in preseason between Bentley and Maenpaa. Wouldn't be surprised (or at all unhappy) to start the season with Maenpaa as first choice, but expect Bentley to slowly take over once he settles in.

6 minutes ago, bcfcbird said:

Maenpaa is better than Bentley, and Bentley doesn't know any of our defenders yet.

Bentley's had bigger clubs looking at him for years.. I like most of us, like Maenpaa and have been impressed, but the signing of Bentley has excited me,I'll be honest.

6 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Bentley will be between the sticks,

you don’t spend 4 million on a keeper not to play him

2 million isn't it? Maenpaa would have cost a bit had he not been out of contract. Just pick the best player. Who cares about who cost what.

2 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Bentley's had bigger clubs looking at him for years.. I like most of us like Maenpaa, but the signing of Bentley has excited me, i'll be honest.

My other half is a Brentford season ticket holder, I probably saw him play last season about 20 times, and I still think Maenpaa is better than him. I think he's decent, and younger and is better with his feet but Maenpaa is better with his hands. The season before he was better than last season, so hopefully he'll improve with a steady defence in front of him.

I think after how things went last season at Brentford, Bentley needs a confidence lift, and I imagine he would have got the sense from all the transfer dealings that he’d come here to be No 1. I think it will actually help him knowing that Nikki is bloody good, and give him that extra push he needs to succeed here in his first season. I love Nikki but would be keen to have Bentley start the campaign provided he looks sharp in pre-season. 

46 minutes ago, Luxo Jr. said:

Suspect it'll be down to who works harder/looks more impressive in preseason between Bentley and Maenpaa. Wouldn't be surprised (or at all unhappy) to start the season with Maenpaa as first choice, but expect Bentley to slowly take over once he settles in.

13 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Whoever is better in pre season will play

FWIW I think Mäenpää is ahead of Bentley, purely based on being here last season and knowing the set up, style etc.  It’s up to Bentley to push himself and Niki throughout pre-season and try to take the no1 jersey.  If they were both to have equal pre-seasons I would expect Mäenpää to start.

I think Niki is a very good keeper and would be happy to see him start.  But we wouldn't have paid £4m for Bentley if we didn't think he wasn't better than what we had.

Niki has done veey well for us amd I will be sorry to see such a good keeper bench warming.

If it had't have been for Niki's injuries, there would have been no need to spend £4m on another keeper.

1 minute ago, wendyredredrobin said:

I think Niki is a very good keeper and would be happy to see him start.  But we wouldn't have paid £4m for Bentley if we didn't think he wasn't better than what we had.

Niki has done veey well for us amd I will be sorry to see such a good keeper bench warming.

If it had't have been for Niki's injuries, there would have been no need to spend £4m on another keeper.

Bentley bought for the longer term.

1 hour ago, simon uk said:

its the first time in living memory we have spent big money on a keeper, and on that basis, i would expect bentley to come in and be number 1.

David James ' wages were big money!

18 minutes ago, OldlandReddies said:

Bentley will start if fit. No way he would have come here as number 2. No problem at all with Niki, he will get his chance again. All top sides have 2 top keepers. A must these days.

Do you reckon he’s just been told he is number one straight off?  

Maenpaa must be a bit annoyed 

2 hours ago, simon uk said:

On the basis that no more keepers will be coming in, and there are no injuries, who do we suppose will be between the sticks on day 1?

options are bentley, maenpaa, oleary, gilmartin.

Simple. If the owner allows the club to spend 4 million on a keeper he will not be warming the bench v Leeds!

1 hour ago, RedDave said:

Do you reckon he’s just been told he is number one straight off?  

Maenpaa must be a bit annoyed 

Yes would be my guess. Maenpaa was number 2 at Brighton and never got a look in. He's probably already had more game time here than he would have expected last season with Frankies injuries. I'm not saying he'll be happy being number 2 but he's professional and experienced enough to know how these things play out.

2 minutes ago, OldlandReddies said:

Yes would be my guess. Maenpaa was number 2 at Brighton and never got a look in. He's probably already had more game time here than he would have expected last season with Frankies injuries. I'm not saying he'll be happy being number 2 but he's professional and experienced enough to know how these things play out.

I really hope we don’t guarantee starting positions 

4 hours ago, bcfcbird said:

My other half is a Brentford season ticket holder, I probably saw him play last season about 20 times, and I still think Maenpaa is better than him. I think he's decent, and younger and is better with his feet but Maenpaa is better with his hands. The season before he was better than last season, so hopefully he'll improve with a steady defence in front of him.

And this is what BCFC have missed for years. Its two thirds of a keepers game. With the change in the goal kick rule that 66-70% could increase further. The more technical the Keepers foot skill is the more tactical flexibility the teams has … 

3 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

And this is what BCFC have missed for years. Its two thirds of a keepers game. With the change in the goal kick rule that 66-70% could increase further. The more technical the Keepers foot skill is the more tactical flexibility the teams has … 

Spot on. Probably see him as more mobile than Niki as well. Add each small % up and you can see why we've signed him.

Archived