IGNORED

Goalkeeper vs leeds

simon uk

7 minutes ago, OddBallJim said:

I like Maenpaa - seems unflappable most of the time. Would expect him to start in goal for our league opener, with Bentley in the League Cup and FA Cup? 

Unless Bentley absolutely tears it up in training and pre-season, and wows everyone- and he might- I'm inclined to agree.

Can't agree fellas.

Maenpaa was excellent for us last season, but as others have said here and elsewhere, you don't spend serious cash on a keeper and have him as a back-up.

He's got a full pre-season to get to know his teammates, I'll be amazed if Bentley doesn't start.

23 minutes ago, WesM said:

Can't agree fellas.

Maenpaa was excellent for us last season, but as others have said here and elsewhere, you don't spend serious cash on a keeper and have him as a back-up.

He's got a full pre-season to get to know his teammates, I'll be amazed if Bentley doesn't start.

£2m isn’t serious cash anymore 

19 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

Bentley's had bigger clubs looking at him for years.. I like most of us, like Maenpaa and have been impressed, but the signing of Bentley has excited me,I'll be honest.

come on, spill the beans - which of us didn't make the grade?

I think it will be Bentley, but would not be upset with Maenpaa starting against Leeds

On 01/07/2019 at 21:53, OldlandReddies said:

Spot on. Probably see him as more mobile than Niki as well. Add each small % up and you can see why we've signed him.

The player in question must be considered a % better at aspects of his game or he would not have been purchased at the price he has. The team has needs. This players key qualities must fit the team needs, if they do not its money wasted.

If the player does not go straight in to the first team why purchase him? 

On 01/07/2019 at 19:57, Westcountry Robins said:

It doesn’t matter. Confident with both keepers and despite Frankie being a club legend we won’t miss him. Max will benefit from a season on loan. Strongest GK lineup we’ve had since Basso Henderson Weale.

Frankie isn't anywhere near being a club legend.

2 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

Frankie isn't anywhere near being a club legend.

As a younger supporter James I don’t see how you can justify that opinion

Of course you can have that opinion but I don’t see on what you base it

Some will say he is , some will disagree to a minor or major extent but in doing so compare him against others over a fair period of watching

Not sure that legend is quite my label but he was part of the first winning title side in my half century of following the mighty reds.

Also a great character / great relationship with fans ,/ acted professionally at all times / represented the club brilliantly on and off the pitch in terms of conduct etc.........

Id say he’s up the better end of any list and ‘ isn’t anywhere near’ , is not right

4 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

As a younger supporter James I don’t see how you can justify that opinion

Of course you can have that opinion but I don’t see on what you base it

Some will say he is , some will disagree to a minor or major extent but in doing so compare him against others over a fair period of watching

Not sure that legend is quite my label but he was part of the first winning title side in my half century of following the mighty reds.

Also a great character / great relationship with fans ,/ acted professionally at all times / represented the club brilliantly on and off the pitch in terms of conduct etc.........

Id say he’s up the better end of any list  

Wasn't a slight on Frankie at all.

But legends are the likes of Wedlock and Atyeo.

Frankie was a consummate professional, even when it was clear the club was looking to upgrade on him and stayed here longer than is generally the norm in modern football.

I have a lot of respect for Frankie, but he's not a club legend by any stretch.

7 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Wasn't a slight on Frankie at all.

But legends are the likes of Wedlock and Atyeo.

Frankie was a consummate professional, even when it was clear the club was looking to upgrade on him and stayed here longer than is generally the norm in modern football.

I have a lot of respect for Frankie, but he's not a legend by any stretch.

What’s a ‘legend’

Is it based only on International Caps (And being very fine players of their era no doubt) and the subsequent recognition ?

Not so sure about that

Tell you what,  you will sift through a fair few players before you come across many that are as good a pro and all round good bloke that is FF

A squad full of professionals of his ability , personality and professionalism and you’d be laughing...

Personally think his and others claim to have been a major part of the part of the first title winning side for ? Years, alone puts him in a discussion at least 

I hope you get to see more players who can claim that than I have !

A good example for me is Glyn Riley , regarded as a legend by many that enjoyed him

A Promotion, (not title from Fourth tier) and some Freight Rover (JPT) goals at Wembley

Lots of other bits n pieces as well , mean  , for me , Legend 

Similar record to FF and popular - not a million miles apart to FF

2 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

What’s a ‘legend’

Is it based only on International Caps (And being very fine players of their era no doubt) and the subsequent recognition ?

Not so sure about that

Tell you what,  you will sift through a fair few players before you come across many that are as good a pro and all round good bloke that is FF

A squad full of professionals of his ability , personality and professionalism and you’d be laughing...

Wasn't even thinking of their international apps.

Wedlock played over 400 games for us and was a part of our side that came the closest we ever have to a major trophy, he was runners up in the league and FA Cup with us.

He was then granted the honour of having a stand named after him.

Atyeo our record goalscorer and, until 2013-14, record appearances too. A player coveted by AC Milan, Arsenal and Juventus, or so I've read.

Again, saying Frankie isn't a legend wasn't meant to knock him at all, I just think the word gets thrown around far too casually which detracts the meaning from those who actually are.

Even people like Scott Murray and Tinnion I wouldn't necessarily class as legends for the club, icons or cult heroes maybe.

Granted everyone's definition of what makes someone a legend is going to differ, so these debates are entirely subjective.

7 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Wasn't even thinking of their international apps.

Wedlock played over 400 games for us and was a part of our side that came the closest we ever have to a major trophy, he was runners up in the league and FA Cup with us.

He was then granted the honour of having a stand named after him.

Atyeo our record goalscorer and, until 2013-14, record appearances too. A player coveted by AC Milan, Arsenal and Juventus, or so I've read.

Again, saying Frankie isn't a legend wasn't meant to knock him at all, I just think the word gets thrown around far too casually which detracts the meaning from those who actually are.

Even people like Scott Murray and Tinnion I wouldn't necessarily class as legends for the club, icons or cult heroes maybe.

Granted everyone's definition of what makes someone a legend is going to differ, so these debates are entirely subjective.

I unsurprisingly have no issue with Wedlock , Atyeo or a number of others over the years and you are right it’s entirely subkjective / personal

I think it was the way you dismissed even the idea that FF could be considered by some to be a legend , near legend or whatever 

There needs to be a accolade/label created , for those that stand out over the years but wouldn’t make ‘Legend’ status !!!!

Im not even sure how to categorise legend

- This discussion actually made me look up the definition 

‘an extremely famous or notorious person, especially in a particular field.’

I would keep coming back to my main point is to advise to savour players like FF because they aren’t the norm and don’t come around that regularly 

Archived