IGNORED

Underwhelming signings or well thought out?

Judda

21 minutes ago, Huntstile Red said:

Dunno how old you are, Judd, but this 47 year-old is the equivalent of whatever 'buzzing' is for nearly-50-year-olds. Adding a couple of experienced players - arguably this being a missing ingredient in the last two seasons of near misses - is a tonic. Signing lots of young "hungry" players is all very well and good, plus will no doubt earn us a few bob soon enough, but a couple of older, well fed "everyone-calm-down-ok-we've-lost-eight-in-a-row-but-we-could-now-win-eight-in-a-row-(and-let's-bloody-hope-we-do)" are as welcome as any young gun.

3 years younger than you! Definitely too old to use the term buzzing! 

?

14 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

The fact that Max has only played 15 games or so should be enough to think that he needs a 30-40 game season to learn and get some experience.

He aint going to get that here is he with Nikki and Bentley in front of him.

Nikki will have one more season with us in all probability and then Bentley takes over with Max no.2.

Whats not to like ?

Exactly my thoughts 

2 hours ago, JonDolman said:

I'm glad Gillamartin is coaching the youth and not Maenpaa and Bentley! I can imagine it would have been a bit strange for them being told how to improve by someone who is 3rd choice.

Surely neither of those two will be 3rd choice?

Edit: just realised you may have meant you’re glad the ex Colchester custodian won’t be coaching our two keepers ...

Looking good to me.

As long as a replacement for Webster is already in motion and some of the profit is going out.

Semenyo will be like a ne signing. If we had let him go to Chelsea in January then surly they  would be loaning him to a Championship side or maybe a Dutch club?

Szmodics really appeals to me, a real ball playing attacking midfielder,type of player we have needed for years. He might not make it but he sure looks worth the punt

If we could have everything we want then the new striker destroyer in midfield and a top right back then we would look a complete squad at this level.

With plenty of time to go and Johnson seeming to know exactly what he wants coming in for us to progress, yeah.

Looking good to me.

15 minutes ago, stephenkibby. said:

Looking good to me.

As long as a replacement for Webster is already in motion and some of the profit is going out.

Semenyo will be like a ne signing. If we had let him go to Chelsea in January then surly they  would be loaning him to a Championship side or maybe a Dutch club?

Szmodics really appeals to me, a real ball playing attacking midfielder,type of player we have needed for years. He might not make it but he sure looks worth the punt

If we could have everything we want then the new striker destroyer in midfield and a top right back then we would look a complete squad at this level.

With plenty of time to go and Johnson seeming to know exactly what he wants coming in for us to progress, yeah.

Looking good to me.

Totally agree. And yes, it does feel like Hunt has at most one season as a starter before an upgrade is needed.

For those that were calling for LJs head not so long ago please go and stand in the corner facing the wall?

We are still just over four weeks away from the start of the season and already LJ has secured the signature of both Dasilva and now Kalas. Add to that Szmodics, Rowe and Gilmartin and City are looking pretty good and with the likelihood of more incoming...........another two maybe?

Ive said along that I have complete faith in LJ based on his recruitment of last summer.

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

For those that were calling for LJs head not so long ago please go and stand in the corner facing the wall?

We are still just over four weeks away from the start of the season and already LJ has secured the signature of both Dasilva and now Kalas. Add to that Szmodics, Rowe and Gilmartin and City are looking pretty good and with the likelihood of more incoming...........another two maybe?

Ive said along that I have complete faith in LJ based on his recruitment of last summer.

Don't forget Bently ... or Cundy!

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

oh whoppy doo  how long before we can turn around?

3 hours ago, JonDolman said:

I think with Gillmartin it will be that the only time he ever likely plays is if one of our goalies is unavailable, so he makes the bench, and the other goalie is injured during the game and Gillmartin comes on.

If that happens and we are without our 2 main goalies then I see LJ getting a better goalie than Gillamartin in on a temporary basis, which is allowed like we did with Marinovic. They start and Gillmartin on bench. If that is the case then it could be seen as a waste of time and money. But i'd be amazed if Gillmartin is as bad as I have read, that we wouldn't bring in another who is better if we only had Gillmartin left to play.

Can’t bring in an emergency goalie unless all of your professional (and played more than 5 games) keepers are injured, so Niki, Dan and Rene would all need to be injured to get an emergency loan in.  JoJo and Sesay wouldn’t count.  I think the risk of a 32 year old who’s been back up at Watford having to play and his cost is a good risk when weighed against Max hopefully getting 40-50 games out on loan.

I think we’re further forward than we were at the end of the season.

Concentrate on the attack now. One more big push required for a mega striker and we should have all the ‘clubs in the bag’.

Be up to LJ and the coaching staff to use the equipment well. If they do, top 6, even top 2 not beyond us. 

Thank you Steve, Maggie and Jon. 

4 hours ago, simon uk said:

In that case, we bring in gilmartin as number 3, and keep oleary and not sign one of maenpaa or bentley. Bringing a number 3 keeper in to loan out a very promising player of our own to send him to league 1, when hes just played 15 or so games in the championship seems to me to be a waste of a salary.

What a very odd view..!

MOL needs to be playing games, week in, to develop his game. Not sitting on a subs bench. 

Gilmartin’s signing is an investments in Max’s future, as much as anything else. 

It’s a very sensible signing. 

17 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

What a very odd view..!

MOL needs to be playing games, week in, to develop his game. Not sitting on a subs bench. 

Gilmartin’s signing is an investments in Max’s future, as much as anything else. 

Exactly my thoughts. Gives him a chance to go and get the game time he needs to potentially become the keeper we hope he could be...

Just need to find the right club for him now....

23 hours ago, Judda said:

I know 2 x 30 year-old lads from lower leagues hasn't got everyone buzzing but could it be a clever bit of business....?

Adds experience to a very young squad. 

Utility player to cover several positions if required. Saves buying players as back up...

Coaching experience in goalkeeper. Planning to coach ladies too...

Probably not on silly wages?

Gilmartin as others have said, here as third choice back up plus goalkeeper coaching for Academy and City Women.

It turns out that Rowe played at Peterborough for Gary Johnson. So LJ will know the character aspect. It could also be that at 30, Rowe is already looking at coaching as a future career, in addition to being a useful cover in several positions.

The reasons for signing some players is not immediately obvious to most of us. Remember that league football is a very close type of employment.

I’ll wait and see. 

Overall we have done extremely well with most of our signings over the past few years - with a couple of ‘duds’ too, but mostly good. 

We do still badly need a decent striker - but IMO Weimann could play that part if we played him centrally. 

18 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

What a very odd view..!

It’s amazing how many people fail to understand that with 40 more games under his belt O’Leary stands a far greater chance of being the Championship Keeper we want him to be in 12 months. We can’t guarantee him that because even if we hadn’t signed Bentley he simply isn’t as good as Niki at the moment. That’s not a criticism just fact.

19 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

It’s amazing how many people fail to understand that with 40 more games under his belt O’Leary stands a far greater chance of being the Championship Keeper we want him to be in 12 months. We can’t guarantee him that because even if we hadn’t signed Bentley he simply isn’t as good as Niki at the moment. That’s not a criticism just fact.

True. Currently a great shot stopper but flaps at crosses occasionally and kicking could improve a bit... a year from now could be great with 40 more games under his belt...

23 hours ago, stephenkibby. said:

Glad I am not the only one most excited by Szmodics. I was starting to worry.

Kalas and Dasilva are fantastic but we know what they bring and frankly apart from each being a year older and wiser they aren't actually an improvement on last year's squad...because they were in last year's squad. Bentley is also great, but again I am not sure he is objectively better than Maenpaa, although he is probably an improvement on Fielding. Rowe and Gilmartin bring experience but again aren't necessarily taking the club forward.

For some reason I just feel that it's Szmodics that adds something that last year's team lacked. His style of play, from what I have seen in highlights videos, looks to be something different, something actually better than we had last season.

2 hours ago, Judda said:

True. Currently a great shot stopper but flaps at crosses occasionally and kicking could improve a bit... a year from now could be great with 40 more games under his belt...

Statistically, of all Champ keepers who played 900 mins or more, his passing was one of the worst in the division.  An area to improve...but lots of keepers making their early appearances will be the same.  Has a future here, which is more than some imho, and testament to our academy and his work ethic.

Rotherham might go for him with Rodak returning to Fulham.

39 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Statistically, of all Champ keepers who played 900 mins or more, his passing was one of the worst in the division.  An area to improve...but lots of keepers making their early appearances will be the same.  Has a future here, which is more than some imho, and testament to our academy and his work ethic.

Rotherham might go for him with Rodak returning to Fulham.

I didn't know that but was purposefully being polite as I didn't want to knock the promising youngster!

39 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

That’s not knocking, but stating what you see and think.

True but a few young city lads will probably look at this forum and I think positive constructive feedback is the  best way to keep their confidence up...

If they're even being discussed they're gonna be good but everyone - especially youngsters  - need confidence. 

To keep our defence of last season in tact (fingers crossed on Webster) will be a real achievement.  

Szmodics, I hope, will provide creativity and goals from midfield we lacked.

It's the goals up front that was the real obvious fix needed on last season so excited to see who we will bring in.   

Archived