IGNORED

First Mover Advantage

HanwellRed

Whatever we all think of the relative qualities and strengths of all our new signings, (and for me, as a grumpy 51 year old lifelong fan I really like the business we have done so far) I think we have to tip our hats to what a great, decisive job the club seem to be doing bringing in new additions to the squad at the start of this summer, especially as it would seem we are not done yet.

All the new signings have clearly been identified as right for the club, each for their own different reasons,  a good while ago, and the range of new recruits we have recently been introduced to certainly suggests a level of sophistication to our recruitment policy we may not have seen before.

In addition, to get so many deals over the line at such an early stage of the summer transfer window not only gives the new additions the very best chance of bedding in with a pretty much full pre-season, but is also a great statement of intent by the club, and from my perspective is indicative of just how much the club as a whole has learned from the past couple of seasons.

This all feels like the result of a lot of reflection, analysis, research, planning and hard work, and I am impressed. 

1 minute ago, HanwellRed said:

Whatever we all think of the relative qualities and strengths of all our new signings, (and for me, as a grumpy 51 year old lifelong fan I really like the business we have done so far) I think we have to tip our hats to what a great, decisive job the club seem to be doing bringing in new additions to the squad at the start of this summer, especially as it would seem we are not done yet.

All the new signings have clearly been identified as right for the club, each for their own different reasons,  a good while ago, and the range of new recruits we have recently been introduced to certainly suggests a level of sophistication to our recruitment policy we may not have seen before.

In addition, to get so many deals over the line at such an early stage of the summer transfer window not only gives the new additions the very best chance of bedding in with a pretty much full pre-season, but is also a great statement of intent by the club, and from my perspective is indicative of just how much the club as a whole has learned from the past couple of seasons.

This all feels like the result of a lot of reflection, analysis, research, planning and hard work, and I am impressed. 

Very much like our promotion season which allowed the squad to bond and all be fully coached on shape and roles within the team

Big advantage to have your squad in place before the trip away to the US 

Hit the ground running and do Leeds on the first day!

It also means the later clubs leave it to come after our players we can leverage them more by our transfers being all but done, no that extra bit of money could help get another player in another position scenario. I imagine we're all but 1 or 2 players away from being done.

As a grumpy 62 year old life-long fan I completely agree. We are undertaking recruitment in a very professional and purposeful way and as you say getting deals down early on. In fact there are so many encouraging signs both on and off the pitch that I have a real sense that we are closer than ever to a break-through season! 

15 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

As a grumpy 62 year old life-long fan I completely agree. We are undertaking recruitment in a very professional and purposeful way and as you say getting deals down early on. In fact there are so many encouraging signs both on and off the pitch that I have a real sense that we are closer than ever to a break-through season! 

As a rather cheerful 62 year old life-long Supporter I also agree that everything about the club, including our recruitment is now on a more professional basis. That said, given that necessity is the mother of invention, we have had to act quickly due to the truncated timeframe of this window and that most of those we’ve brought in we highly sought after by other clubs. Superb work by Ashton and his recruitment team. 

2 hours ago, blockbrowt1 said:

As a grumpy 67 year old lifetime fan. Can we have a 20 goal striker and creative midfielder please. That should do it ?

Think Sammie is the creative midfielder we’ve been after for a while now. Of all the big signings we’ve made, and will probably continue to make, I think Szmodics is going to be the one that stands out. 

4 hours ago, Mad Cyril said:

Mind you, if Webster goes in the final few hours of the window, we all look a bit silly on this thread....

We're either building a promotion winning side or we aren't.

The only reason for letting Webster go would be to fund squad strengthening. Maybe this is possible if we sell for silly money and can pull the trigger on some real quality signings: say a PL quality striker and 2x Championship top 6 defenders (RB &/or CB) . Even then I'd probably rather not. But we really do need a fox in the box if we're going to push for the top. So. Hmm.

As a 49 year old middling-to-diddling part-time fan (?), I'm really pleased with the window so far.  I don’t think we’ll see more than 1 or 2 more, unless we see players leave...which may happen anyway.

Over the past 12 months I sense LJ is getting the signings he wants.  Perhaps budgets are allowing that rather than MA’s previous interference (alleged....which I believe).

For me, I want to see further evidence of a playing style...it still flip-flopped too much for me.

I’m not convinced the missing link is a top striker (unless Webster leaves giving us serious clout).  I see Semenyo making an impression, but it wouldn’t surprise me to see Palmer come in and between him, Pato and Szmodics, provide the chances for Weimann and Diedhiou to fight it out.  Too often Fam was an autopick in the 9, and Weimann as the wide-man.  I think LJ needs to lay down the gauntlet and challenge each to play, score, contribute to keep their place.  We’ll see!

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I’m not convinced the missing link is a top striker

For me we have two 15 goal a season strikers in Diedhiou and Weimann (he can be that, probably would have been but for a good 1/3 of the season spent on the wing) so we can't really look for another as we won't have 3 as they all won't have enough game time to play. For me its the alternative/Plan B situation striker we need who could get into double figures through sub appearances/some starts, we lacked a real threat off the bench. Know I've chucked the name out a bit but to me Bodvarsson could be a realistic name who could come off the bench (and potentially not be upset with that being their role), wouldn't be overly expensive and think he could score a few in a team who creates more chances.

Archived