Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

1 minute ago, RUSSEL85 said:

I'd happily spend the 20m on a new striker, to me that's the missing piece 

It’s easy to say you would spend other people’s money. But where’s that 20 mil gonna come from?

• Like 1
  • Aubergine 1
  • Snake 1

3 minutes ago, Nathandao said:

It’s easy to say you would spend other people’s money. But where’s that 20 mil gonna come from?

The sell of Webster

3 minutes ago, Nathandao said:

Down the back of Lansdown's sofa...

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

That’s probably all we need now - a proper, proven centre forward ...

Not another quality midfielder to challenge Pack and Brownhill ?

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Meh said:

Not another quality midfielder to challenge Pack and Brownhill ?

Well, if I’m allowed to be greedy that would be cool too! Hoping we’ll get the old Korey back though...

Edited by BS4 on Tour...
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Nathandao said:

I'll chip in 20quid

• Haha 1

The problem with signing any player over £10m is the wages. It just isn’t going to happen. So on that basis find me the 20 goal striker for less than £10m....

• Like 1

MA just did a live broadcast and apparently there are still more deals to be done and trading of players - make of that what you will!

Sell O’Dowda for say 5 million, that would boost the bank again. Reckon we could get McBurnie from the Swans for 10 million and then get Sawyers from Brentford for 8 million. Announce promotion... 

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

That’s probably all we need now - a proper, proven centre forward ...

Personally I think we still think we need to freshen up central midfield with proven quality and creativity in the Barry Bannan mould.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nathandao said:

Well considering we sold Joe Bryan, Bobby Reid, and Aden Flint, last season for  a combined £25 million and spent only a small part of that maybe from there.

4 minutes ago, pillred said:

Well considering we sold Joe Bryan, Bobby Reid, and Aden Flint, last season for  a combined £25 million and spent only a small part of that maybe from there.

Partially covered the £25m loss of the season before 👀

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Partially covered the £25m loss of the season before 👀

No way we lost £25 million surely, where do you get that from, shocked if true. 500,000 a week!!

6 minutes ago, pillred said:

Blimey didn't realise things were that bad, though hopefully last season was a lot better with the new stand, cup runs match day income etc, that has shocked me must say.

Shocking isn’t it.  Our most successful year in 10 years, created the biggest loss in our history!

Too many people look at fees in versus fees out and think it’s all dandy....whereas we are probably losing £10-15m a season without any “trading”!  That’s the backdrop.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Kingswoodactor said:

Sell O’Dowda for say 5 million, that would boost the bank again. Reckon we could get McBurnie from the Swans for 10 million and then get Sawyers from Brentford for 8 million. Announce promotion... 

Who’s likely to pay £5million for COD..?! 

4 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Personally I think we still think we need to freshen up central midfield with proven quality and creativity in the Barry Bannan mould.

This.

A striker isn't going to do much with the type of service Pack will provide from CM. We need a CM upgrade and a 20+ goal a season striker IMHO.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ColeCiderRed said:

.... You can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs. 

Then you probably haven’t grasped the seriousness of the situation.

8 hours ago, Cardy said:

The problem with signing any player over £10m is the wages. It just isn’t going to happen. So on that basis find me the 20 goal striker for less than £10m....

Belgian or French league is where its at.

Central midfield most important for me. And surely going to get one quality one in. Striker is important too obviously.

Joe Williams and Nketiah would not cost loads and would be exactly what we need. 

As for back up left back, well maybe they trust Rowe there. Hasn't played there for a long time, a gamble.

Right back I'm happy with what we have. Assuming Vyner is as good as I read at the end of last season, having top wingers like Hernandez of Norwich in his back pocket. That's something Hunt would not be able to do, but Hunt decent too imo as back up.

Depending on how we set up, I wonder if we will be after a AM too. Palmer might not happen now.

We will have to surely sell a few too. Really have to get this right now as we are close to having a top top side. 

• Like 2

It would be beyond bizarre to continue to spunk millions on the defence and strikeforce but yet again totally neglect centre midfield.

Korey Smith was the last upgrade we made in that position and despite all the changes since promotion we havent purchased for immediate improvement in CM at all since then.

The only two of note that have come in after Korey are Pack and Brownhill but they were for development, not immediate first choice.

What i’d like to know is who is this mythical 20/25 goal proven goal scorer, anyone scoring that much in the Championship will be heading to the premier league 

Edited by BarnzFM

12 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

The only two of note that have come in after Korey are Pack and Brownhill but they were for development, not immediate first choice.

Pack joined before Korey - 2nd Aug 2013 - Korey joining him in BS3 on 27th June 2014. 

2 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Pack joined before Korey - 2nd Aug 2013 - Korey joining him in BS3 on 27th June 2014. 

Thanks, so Brownhill is the only CM purchase of any note since Korey? Except someone like Walsh who has barely played.

6 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Thanks, so Brownhill is the only CM purchase of any note since Korey? Except someone like Walsh who has barely played.

Hegs? Should've worked out much better for him - maybe a case of the right player at the wrong time? 

• Like 1

I have a strong suspicion  that LJ sees Semenyo as the answer to the lack of firepower and that we won’t see a Championship quality striker arriving at AG this summer. Plus he’s signed Szmodics who has a decent goal tally from midfield.

Im sincerely hope that I’m wrong - none of us would want to see LJ make the same mistake as his Dad by not recruiting a recognised striker.

I was delighted at the arrival of Kalas but disappointed when Ashton described him as a ‘ marquee’  signing.

10 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Walsh was injured for long periods last season.

• Like 1
  • Aubergine 1

You don’t agree with my post BobBobSuperBob?     :dunno:

• Aubergine 1

50 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I have a strong suspicion  that LJ sees Semenyo as the answer to the lack of firepower and that we won’t see a Championship quality striker arriving at AG this summer. Plus he’s signed Szmodics who has a decent goal tally from midfield.

Im sincerely hope that I’m wrong - none of us would want to see LJ make the same mistake as his Dad by not recruiting a recognised striker.

I was delighted at the arrival of Kalas but disappointed when Ashton described him as a ‘ marquee’  signing.

Walsh was injured for long periods last season.

That would be a bit mad given that he's not shown any signs of being a goalscorer 

5 minutes ago, mozo said:

That would be a bit mad given that he's not shown any signs of being a goalscorer 

It’s only my suspicion Mozo based on me reading between the lines of some of the comments LJ has made. 

8 hours ago, pillred said:

Blimey didn't realise things were that bad, though hopefully last season was a lot better with the new stand, cup runs match day income etc, that has shocked me must say.

This was before the sales of Reid, flint, Bryan and Maggs, accounts will look a lot better this year 👌🏼

• Thanks 1

Vydra I think would be an excellent fit- would we pay out £10m on a player though, albeit without further sales? Were we

Kalas is a marquee signing @Robbored not only for his quality last season but 2 promotions and 2 playoff losing causes in the prior 4 seasons- one of the most decorated defenders at this level or at least experience of the right end of it.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, pillred said:

No way we lost £25 million surely, where do you get that from, shocked if true. 500,000 a week!!

Hence the old saying that if you want to make a small fortune from owning a football club you better start out with a big fortune!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, mozo said:

Nor had Bobby Reid - before he became one!

I don't see another striker coming in - at least not a 20/25 goal a season player costing a small fortune. I think LJ has faith in FD - and let's face it he has improved each season. The stats show how many chances we created last year - which highlights that the midfield must be doing their job well. I don't understand the critisism that Pack gets from some on this forum, for me he has improved year on year and did a brilliant job last year without the defensive qualities of Korey alongside him. And Brownhill will show his undoubted class this year.

They key is keeping hold of Webster now. We have a great defence with good backup if needed, if Webster stays we will finish in the top 6. True a proven 20 goal a season striker would cement our chances of that and probably push us for an automatic promotion place, but looking at how this club has built a team it's a case of slowly slowly catchy monkey. 

I suspect the striker will come in the form of a loan signing - or in the January window if we are still struggling to get the goals needed.

46 minutes ago, Robbored said:

It’s only my suspicion Mozo based on me reading between the lines of some of the comments LJ has made. 

So just speculation?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, YorkshireSection said:

This.

A striker isn't going to do much with the type of service Pack will provide from CM. We need a CM upgrade and a 20+ goal a season striker IMHO.

I read somewhere on here that there is a stat which stated that City created the most chances in the division.

Also that Diedhiou missed the most.

I don't think I dreamed it....

It doesn't seem to be the service or the chances created, its having a player(s) that can put them away. In that respect a good striker is key.