IGNORED

Villa under investigation

old_eastender

Gpd I hope so!!

It'd make a good day even better but I assumed EFL rules permitted it- see Derby. 

@Coppello Do EPL FFP regs allow stadium sale and leaseback ala Aston Villa. EFL bizarrely appear to.

@old_eastender Not sure you could punish Derby as such, after its been signed off but you could definitely look to IMO challenge the valuation and get £20-25m lopped off- which would hamstring them severely and could lead to future FFP difficulties.

7 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Are we sure??

It'd make a good day even better but I assumed EFL rules permitted it- see Derby. 

@Coppello Do EPL FFP regs allow stadium sale and leaseback ala Aston Villa. EFL bizarrely appear to.

@old_eastender Not sure you could punish Derby as such, after its been signed off but you could definitely look to IMO challenge the valuation and get £20-25m lopped off- which would hamstring them severely and could lead to future FFP difficulties.

Would be more than ironic if the EFL FFP rules allow the stadium sale and lease back but the Premier League rules do not.The irony would only be improved had both Villa and Derby been promoted and then fallen foul of the premier league for the same "offence"!

Seems yet more reason for a proper review of ffp rules and that the premier league and EFL bring their individual rules in line. I know that the financial parameters will still be different ( premier league require break even (?) and EFL maximum loss over 3 years) but in terms of what activities are permitted - such as stadium sale and lease back - it would seem to make sense that there is greater uniformity.

5 minutes ago, Never to the dark side said:

Because they are now in the top flight back where they belong ,would that now effect anything that goes on in the EFL?

Corrected for accuracy ( according to Villa fans)

Well, imagine if City tried the same thing - the re-sale value of Ashton Gate must be huge, especially with its status as a top concert venue.  Now, I'm no real estate expert, but it must be worth at least £110million.

Over to you, Steve, do that creative accounting thing, and there you go, money for lots more top players and their salaries in one foul swoop.

Listed in the 2017/18 accounts at £44.4m- though treat with caution because carrying amount/net book value doesn't always necessary constitute market value it seems, though perhaps it should for FFP purposes if sold to a related party!*

In a bit of a rush but way you'd address that for FFP is to benchmark against other similar transactions and either disallow the profit or disallow more than a certain proportion based on sale to third party- my ratio I have in mind is 25-35%.

*-Only after we've done it of course! :laughcont:

• Admin
1 hour ago, old_eastender said:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/aston-villa-facing-investigation-after-stadium-sale-0tcrzjl7b

Could this come back to bite Villa and if it does, would it embolden the FL to punish Derby who appear to have even more blatantly over valued their ground in a sell and lease back scheme to get around FFP. 

What does the full article say, is it anything new or just this story rehashed https://offthepitch.com/a/new-filing-reveals-aston-villa-sold-stadium-owners-5-weeks-ago ?

1 hour ago, old_eastender said:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/aston-villa-facing-investigation-after-stadium-sale-0tcrzjl7b

Could this come back to bite Villa and if it does, would it embolden the FL to punish Derby who appear to have even more blatantly over valued their ground in a sell and lease back scheme to get around FFP. 

This can’t be right, the Villains owners are straight up, upstanding great owners & would surely never be involved with such a situation? (According to our newly arrived Villa fan).

5 minutes ago, Newquay-Red said:

Just wondering; is it Bristol Sport that owns Ashton Gate or is it the club itself?

It’s nether,

its owned by Ashton gate ltd,

which is owned by pula sport

which is owned by steve lansdown

4 minutes ago, bcfcshorey said:

I thought Bristol City Holdings owns Ashton Gate Stadium?

Ultimately the Lansdowns control it all so ultimately they would own it surely.

Quick look at CH says:

Bristol City FC Owned/Controlled by the Lansdowns and BCFC Holdings.

Which in turn Owned/Controlled by the Lansdowns.

1 minute ago, phantom said:

Let's face it at worst Villa will get a fine - their Premier money will cover that.

More than likely there is nothing to see it and will be forgotten about PDQ

I guess that they could be given a points deduction to start the season and/or (preferably and) receive reduced parachute payments when (not if) they are relegated?

• Admin
18 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

I guess that they could be given a points deduction to start the season and/or (preferably and) receive reduced parachute payments when (not if) they are relegated?

But surely the EFL and EPL are two different entities. The punishment could only be carried over if was being enforced by The FA?

4 minutes ago, phantom said:

But surely the EFL and EPL are two different entities. The punishment could only be carried over if was being enforced by The FA?

I'm only guessing, based upon the statement in the Times article "While there is nothing in the EFL rules to prevent sale and lease-back, the Premier League could take a harder line if they deem Villa Park to have been overvalued and can deduct points". The parachute payment bit, I made up!

4 hours ago, reddogkev said:

Well, imagine if City tried the same thing - the re-sale value of Ashton Gate must be huge, especially with its status as a top concert venue.  Now, I'm no real estate expert, but it must be worth at least £110million.

Over to you, Steve, do that creative accounting thing, and there you go, money for lots more top players and their salaries in one foul swoop.

I'm assuming the word foul was a Freudian slip?

I Intended to write a well resasoned balanced critique of our midland rivals.............but all i can muster is  " Pheck Villa and all that they represent"      P.S.  The rules are full of loopholes and are more bendy than than a bendable bendy bent bend.

1 minute ago, maxjak said:

I Intended to write a well resasoned balanced critique of our midland rivals.............but all i can muster is  " Pheck Villa and all that they represent"      P.S.  The rules are full of loopholes and are more bendy than than a bendable bendy bent bend.

There don't seem to have been that many loopholes utilised to date, ground one aside and it's worth repeating that this wasn't one of them- until it was opened!

Archived