IGNORED

Why are transfer fees rising so quickly?

reddogkev

1 hour ago, Prinny said:

He had an agreed amount. I don't think (couldn't find anything on google) there's a precedent for someone legally challenging the amount of a buy out clause that they agreed in their contract so I can't tell you the result of that. I imagine if they agree it then there's no room for a legal challenge. The problem if it did happen would be it takes time to go through the court process which doesn't benefit the player, and I'm guessing because it's a court setting (judges vary) the amount could vary. That's why it's agreed beforehand to avoid all of that. Ronaldo's interesting because it was Real lowering his buy out for PR reasons/to facilitate a deal, not the player trying to force his way out. They wanted someone to pay the buy out (oh no! what could we do???!!!) so not to look bad in their fans eyes. The buyout wasn't reduced for Barcelona or PSG...

It's all a PR game that can be seen in Mark Little's cold dead eyes. He's a TRUE BLUE forever! He's certainly not moving down here because he likes the area and wants to be closer to his business. He's a TRUE BLUE forever!

Large

Does he not see that scarf as some form of visual abuse?

The money, especially in the English game, is nothing short of disgusting.

You need a level of ignorance and arrogance to be a supporter of a club in England (with that ignorance and arrogance rising depending on how high your team is), but if you take a step back it's obvious that the levels we are seeing now are a disease.

We live in a world where the team finishing bottom of the EPL makes more money and can pay higher wages then some of the biggest clubs in Europe, where fairly average players are transferred for tens of millions of pounds and where largely unproven players are put on contracts reaching the hundreds of thousands per week.

It's easy to say 'its relative', but in all honesty its lunacy that teams in the second tier are spending £8m on a player (as much as I love Kalas). A mountain of clubs are just propped up by their owners, spending money they shouldn't be and running at losses every year. In turn ticket prices are high, watching games on TV across a multitude of channels and packages is expensive etc etc. The madness has filtered down so far you even have non-league sides spending a fortune on wages.

That's before you even start on FIFA and UEFA, two organisations that are probably (still) rife with corruption, with nonsensical awards of tournaments rooted in bribery and elitist decisions like 'revamping' top club competitions to largely only include the clubs from the biggest leagues that have the most money.

The worst part is, I still won't stop buying tickets, or subscribing to SKY (what else would I do?). I sometimes think is it worth the moral cost of watching us try to progress, but I think the game is too far down that rabbit hole already and won't ever be able to climb back out.

2 hours ago, Prinny said:

He had an agreed amount. I don't think (couldn't find anything on google) there's a precedent for someone legally challenging the amount of a buy out clause that they agreed in their contract so I can't tell you the result of that. I imagine if they agree it then there's no room for a legal challenge. The problem if it did happen would be it takes time to go through the court process which doesn't benefit the player, and I'm guessing because it's a court setting (judges vary) the amount could vary. That's why it's agreed beforehand to avoid all of that. Ronaldo's interesting because it was Real lowering his buy out for PR reasons/to facilitate a deal, not the player trying to force his way out. They wanted someone to pay the buy out (oh no! what could we do???!!!) so not to look bad in their fans eyes. The buyout wasn't reduced for Barcelona or PSG...

It's all a PR game that can be seen in Mark Little's cold dead eyes. He's a TRUE BLUE forever! He's certainly not moving down here because he likes the area and wants to be closer to his business. He's a TRUE BLUE forever!

Large

You LITTLE liar, Mark.

19 minutes ago, ballwinningcentrehalf said:

The money, especially in the English game, is nothing short of disgusting.

You need a level of ignorance and arrogance to be a supporter of a club in England (with that ignorance and arrogance rising depending on how high your team is), but if you take a step back it's obvious that the levels we are seeing now are a disease.

We live in a world where the team finishing bottom of the EPL makes more money and can pay higher wages then some of the biggest clubs in Europe, where fairly average players are transferred for tens of millions of pounds and where largely unproven players are put on contracts reaching the hundreds of thousands per week.

It's easy to say 'its relative', but in all honesty its lunacy that teams in the second tier are spending £8m on a player (as much as I love Kalas). A mountain of clubs are just propped up by their owners, spending money they shouldn't be and running at losses every year. In turn ticket prices are high, watching games on TV across a multitude of channels and packages is expensive etc etc. The madness has filtered down so far you even have non-league sides spending a fortune on wages.

That's before you even start on FIFA and UEFA, two organisations that are probably (still) rife with corruption, with nonsensical awards of tournaments rooted in bribery and elitist decisions like 'revamping' top club competitions to largely only include the clubs from the biggest leagues that have the most money.

The worst part is, I still won't stop buying tickets, or subscribing to SKY (what else would I do?). I sometimes think is it worth the moral cost of watching us try to progress, but I think the game is too far down that rabbit hole already and won't ever be able to climb back out.

On the Championship- one of the worst in Europe for fiscal madness.

Oh it's a great League, it's thrilling- lots of twists, turns- good players, big clubs, gates....and money.

The mismatch is just ludicrous though- believe wages outstripped turnover in season 2017-18, the most recent season for which we have accounts. Still 2 sets outstanding of course, but of the 22 to date, wages exceeded turnover.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7034591/Championship-clubs-combined-operating-loss-510m-year.html

PS: This is an average- not every single clubs had wages as 100% or more of turnover.

On 03/07/2019 at 11:30, BobBobSuperBob said:

As an aside but related to money in the game..... browsing some social media it struck me just what a monstrous effect it can have to lives

Lloyd Kelly , as we are aware had a tough childhood in many ways , and 12-18 months ago was an aspiring professional footballer 

Suddenly BANG

Lloyd is flying with his girlfriend business class to Dubai , staying in luxury and using the concierge services available to the rich and famous for some vey nice experiences 

Particularly in Lloyd’s case I do think , fair play , good luck to him ,  a very decent lad , but wow - what a rapid change in life / lifestyle 

Very good points Bob - when Gazza moved to Spurs at the age of 20 he was (allegedly) on £20k a week. A young lad let loose in London on silly money. It changed his life forever. Lots of ‘hangers on’ didn’t help him and the rest is history. 

I’m sure if he’d signed for Alex Ferguson he’d have been better looked after - he apparently agreed to sign for Man Utd then changed his mind when Spurs dangled carrots like purchasing a house for his family etc.

I’d like to think youngsters are given a better grounding in the modern game and are made fully aware of the potential pitfalls and dangers of earning so much bunce at such a young age ... because, as you say, their lives can change immeasurably overnight with just one transfer ...

On 03/07/2019 at 11:30, BobBobSuperBob said:

As an aside but related to money in the game..... browsing some social media it struck me just what a monstrous effect it can have to lives

Lloyd Kelly , as we are aware had a tough childhood in many ways , and 12-18 months ago was an aspiring professional footballer 

Suddenly BANG

Lloyd is flying with his girlfriend business class to Dubai , staying in luxury and using the concierge services available to the rich and famous for some vey nice experiences 

Particularly in Lloyd’s case I do think , fair play , good luck to him ,  a very decent lad , but wow - what a rapid change in life / lifestyle 

But then again I saw LLoyd pushing a trolley around Asda Bedminster a month ago... 

On 03/07/2019 at 04:15, Unan said:

I'm excited for the day the bubble bursts, we'll lose money as well as everyone else but at least we have plans in motion to be fully self sustainable. I wouldn't be surprised to see 10+ teams go to the wall when this happens 

Bubble isn’t bursting any time soon. Not for top level clubs anyway. TV too great and it won’t go anywhere. The TV product has never been better and reaches millions of people while a stadium holds 50-75k. 

On 03/07/2019 at 04:15, Unan said:

I'm excited for the day the bubble bursts, we'll lose money as well as everyone else but at least we have plans in motion to be fully self sustainable. I wouldn't be surprised to see 10+ teams go to the wall when this happens 

Bubble isn’t bursting any time soon. Not for top level clubs anyway. TV too great and it won’t go anywhere. The TV product has never been better and reaches millions of people while a stadium holds 50-75k. 

1 hour ago, JoeAman08 said:

I'm not so sure it will be that long, Internet/streaming services = cheap subscriptions. Now Amazon have started joined the market it may be the beginning of the end.

9 minutes ago, Unan said:

I'm not so sure it will be that long, Internet/streaming services = cheap subscriptions. Now Amazon have started joined the market it may be the beginning of the end.

Maybe but the sponsors will still be there. We will see how modern sports make it through the transition to streaming services but I’d guess they will get theirs. Mind you Amazon will be bidding huge money for a few games. The rich will always find a way to get richer. Amazon starts getting premier league games that subscription won’t be 10 a month. They will start having sport packages and pay for the day services I am sure. American sports do a league pass which allows you to watch any game playing across the league which sets you back a few hundred dollars. That probably is not far off either. 

2 hours ago, Unan said:

Not sure about that. Having another bidder rarely drives income down, quite the reverse. Prices don't go down particularly not when so many people pay them.

Fees are only inflating at the top of the pyramid. Premier league tv rights contracts keep selling for more but the rest of the league is suffering and most clubs are losing money. 

In L1, 8 of the 10 biggest ever transfers happened 3 or more years ago. There's no mad inflation there.

We've just got closer to the money at the top.

A number of reasons, the most obvious being the exponential increase in money coming into the game.

However, in the clamour for success and reaping the financial rewards of this - whether it be securing champions league football or promotion to the premier league - clubs are prepared to pay almost anything for the player they think will make the difference, and especially when we now have the breed of mega rich owners ( including what are , in essence, state owned clubs).

Owners/chairmen/chief executives seem incapable of saying "no" when confronted by a transfer fee or wage demands that to the rest of the world seem ludicrous, for fear that they will miss out and another club will then gain an advantage.

On the back of this the impact of agents cannot be underestimated. When Pogba's agent earned as much from his clients transfer to Man u as we would hope to get for Webster you know the world has gone mad. I started to write this yesterday and before reading the articles today about Garry Monk and his agent. The days when an agent would be called in to negotiate the best terms for his client i order to protect the undereducated naive player from being "ripped off" have long gone, as it now seems that agents are working for all parties, actively manipulating the market and then seemingly acting for every party to a transaction, all, to me, in the interests of the agent.

If we want to buy a player why do we need an agent to act for us? I wold like to think that MA is more than capable of acting in BCFC's best interests in negotiating the best deal for us. If that players agent negotiates with MA to secure the best contract for his client why should either the selling or buying club pay the agent - he's acting for the player so his fee should be paid by his client?

Then we come to football's administrators and regulators, who between them seem incapable of regulating a lunchtime game in the chg. playground. We've recently witnessed the embarrassing lack of control of it's own ffp rules by the EFL and not long ago , when one of the Milan clubs (£) fell foul of UEFA financial rules, the club then demanded that PSG and Man City's books be opened for examination. With that demand EUFA dropped the case like a hot potato.

Money talks in football and it sadly seems that it's administrators and regulators don;t want to rock the boat, and risk killing the goose that lays the golden eggs, by confronting the biggest and wealthiest players in the game.

Archived