IGNORED

William Hill to close...

WhistleHappy

55 minutes ago, WhistleHappy said:

...up to 700 High St shops.

Cant be the only bookie going through hard times with their on street sites,  what's the odds Corals etc don't follow suit?

It'd take a brave man/woman to bet against it! ;) 

Coral and Ladbrokes merged a few years ago

Its probably down to the law changing on the machines they have, they arnt making anywhere near the money they were so there isnt a real need for as many shops.

The only reason there were/are so many bookies is as you can only have so many machines per shop, open more shops near each other = more machines = more money.

From the BBC

"

The firm said the move followed the government's decision in April to reduce the maximum stake on fixed-odds betting terminals to £2.

Since then, the company added, it had seen "a significant fall" in gaming machine revenues.

"

The inference is that the high turnover machines in the shops were the thing that was keeping them open. Perhaps a few punters were the core of the profit centres and they might well be thanking the government for clamping down on them. And yes, the net has revolutionised (killed) the High Street.

On 04/07/2019 at 12:04, nebristolred said:

I'm not sure if this is indicative of the bookies as a whole - I'd say it's more to do with the fact that most gambling is done online these days. It's no different to finance - banks aren't going away but branches are.

Got a mate of mine who’s worked in the gambling industry all his life. He’s said in the past, that it’s only the gaming machines that keep bookies open, most gambling is now done online. He also said gambling addiction is now a massive problem. 

Archived