IGNORED

Signings

Desso

We will surely be selling some. I would sell Baker, Watkins, Taylor and if O'Dowda doesn't sign them him too. And then there's the Famara rumours.

7 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

We will surely be selling some. I would sell Baker, Watkins, Taylor and if O'Dowda doesn't sign them him too. And then there's the Famara rumours.

If only it worked like that. At this point I'm not sure there is any interest in any of those players that would get us more than 4m for the lot, they are worth more to us than that as squad players running down their contracts. 

4 minutes ago, Pezo said:

If only it worked like that. At this point I'm not sure there is any interest in any of those players that would get us more than 4m for the lot, they are worth more to us than that as squad players running down their contracts. 

I expect we get at least that for just O'Dowda. Taylor surely 1m at least, possibly more. He would be a great cheap buy for lower champ side trying to avoid relegation or top league one side.

Baker and Watkins not so easy to offload and wouldn't really care about how much we got for them. Baker not even a good squad player imo as he comes in and makes mistakes or gets injured.

20 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I expect we get at least that for just O'Dowda. Taylor surely 1m at least, possibly more. He would be a great cheap buy for lower champ side trying to avoid relegation or top league one side.

Baker and Watkins not so easy to offload and wouldn't really care about how much we got for them. Baker not even a good squad player imo as he comes in and makes mistakes or gets injured.

I agree but without any interest (any interest in COD seems to have evaporated) then it's a buyers market if we're trying to off load, and with Bakers wages we're simply not going to find a buyer further down the league. 

2 hours ago, Pezo said:

The cost of wages of those mentioned, Baker, Watkins, Taylor and O'Dowda, would be a good reason for them to leave the club. But the more important factor would be opening up the progression path for Academy youngsters.

2 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Taylor surely 1m at least, possibly more. He would be a great cheap buy for lower champ side trying to avoid relegation or top league one side.

I doubt it. He’s 29 so not much future value. 

I love him, think he’s a cracking player, does so much for the team. However lower champ teams needs goals, and needs strikers who can pop them in there. He’s not that. 

Maybe league one yeah.

7 minutes ago, Selred said:

I doubt it. He’s 29 so not much future value. 

I love him, think he’s a cracking player, does so much for the team. However lower champ teams needs goals, and needs strikers who can pop them in there. He’s not that. 

Agree up to a point. 

29 is not that old. He’s probably got another 5 or 6 years left as a pro footballer.

LJ really likes Taylor especially off the pitch with his bubbly personality and genial nature and sees him as a positive influence around the squad and in the dressing room. On the pitch he’s tireless with terrific stamina and closes down and hassles the opposition and why LJ uses him as an impact sub against wearying defenders.

What he gets criticised for is his lack of goals and that’s fair enough but what else he brings offsets that imv and I’d be very sorry to see him move on.

17 minutes ago, Sturny said:

Why do people wanna see Baker leave? He only looked his worst when pairing with Flint.  

Baker is irritatingly unreliable in terms of form, fitness and temperament.

Nothing to do with playing alongside Flint who was the epitome of consistency in every respect during his time at AG.

These undependable and erratic traits have been a feature of Baker's City career both during and after their pairing.

There's no reason to think that will change so it's time to move him on if possible imo.

48 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Could see Taylor going to MIllwall.

and becoming  an even more chippy and niggling player than while he's been here?

5 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Nothing to do with playing alongside Flint who was the epitome of consistency in every respect during his time at AG.

These undependable and erratic traits have been a feature of Baker's City career both during and after their pairing.

There's no reason to think that will change so it's time to move him on if possible imo.

Disagree, it wasn't Baker fault he didn't know which Flint was playing today. You're right about his fitness concerns though but he'd still be a good quality backup imo. 

Last season whenever Baker played a full 90 we only lost once... 

38 minutes ago, Robbored said:

29 is not that old. He’s probably got another 5 or 6 years left as a pro footballer.

But if someone pays £800k now they won’t make more when he’s 33 years old will they. 

41 minutes ago, Sturny said:

Why do people wanna see Baker leave? He only looked his worst when pairing with Flint. 

I think he'll be a fantastic backup for Kalas/Webster 

Last season whenever I saw him play I thought he did well. The season before that he did look a bit dodgy and always thought there was a stupid challenge waiting to happen. Maybe having better defenders along side him made him better

17 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

He's been at fault for so many goals since about 6 months into his time here.

14 hours ago, Desso said:

Our signings are going on and on. Is it 15 a side now in the championship? Must have missed that. ?

But Dasilva, Kalas and potentially Palmer - all great signings - add nothing to what we had last season! Bentley is a straight swap (position wise) for Fielding. I'd see Smozics as an addition to the first team squad, but others more 'for the future'.

So, at the moment, for all the activity, we're an England u21 defender down and a league 2 midfielder with potential up. 

Im not knocking it, but I'd hope we'd go on and on a bit more! And as much about incoming as outgoing. 

52 minutes ago, Sturny said:

I think he'll be a fantastic backup for Kalas/Webster 

This. I think People forget how good Baker is..!

Yes, he gets injured, because he will never pull out of a challenge and stick his head in where it hurts. 

If we hadn’t signed Kalas, then a fit Baker would be a fantastic fall back option and he’s about as good a back up player as anyone will get at this level. 

Just depends if he’s prepared to be back up, or he wants to move to get more game time. 

I kinda feel that this is the plan.

In the last two seasons we suffered a substantial drop after some good form, which IMO is down to being tired and struggling to adapt when the games come thick and fast.

LJ has had the time to build a lean squad, and the more time the lads spend together the better. Since last year, he's been slowly peeling away at the cracks and has been adding support. While we'll lose some players, I think we'll gain both quality and depth, and this will be key towards a push for promotion.

I think the ultimate goal for LJ would be to have a large enough squad where he could name two potential starting elevens containing first-team players and academy hopefuls. This way, every place is competitive, and every player gets adequate rest for a long campaign ahead.

31 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

Baker is exactly the sort of player we need as part of the squad. 

I'd go along with this. His wages are, I think, quite high for somebody who may well only be a backup a lot of the time. But it is what it is. Personally, I don't want to see him starting too many games, but very glad to have him on the bench or ready to step in if we get an injury in that position.

27 minutes ago, Red7 said:

I'd go along with this. His wages are, I think, quite high for somebody who may well only be a backup a lot of the time. But it is what it is. Personally, I don't want to see him starting too many games, but very glad to have him on the bench or ready to step in if we get an injury in that position.

With his head-on and him feeling 100% fit, he is a very good defender at this level.  I do think he’s one of those players that has to be 100% fit in his mind to perform.  Can’t play with any niggly injury doubts in his head....and has chronic back issues that doesn't Help.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

With his head-on and him feeling 100% fit, he is a very good defender at this level.  I do think he’s one of those players that has to be 100% fit in his mind to perform.  Can’t play with any niggly injury doubts in his head....and has chronic back issues that doesn't Help.

Good point, @Davefevs, which would certainly go a long way towards explaining why he looks sheer class sometimes and then, at other times, looks decidedly dodgy both on the ground and in the air.

3 hours ago, EnderMB said:

I kinda feel that this is the plan.

In the last two seasons we suffered a substantial drop after some good form, which IMO is down to being tired and struggling to adapt when the games come thick and fast.

LJ has had the time to build a lean squad, and the more time the lads spend together the better. Since last year, he's been slowly peeling away at the cracks and has been adding support. While we'll lose some players, I think we'll gain both quality and depth, and this will be key towards a push for promotion.

I think the ultimate goal for LJ would be to have a large enough squad where he could name two potential starting elevens containing first-team players and academy hopefuls. This way, every place is competitive, and every player gets adequate rest for a long campaign ahead.

I think the flaw in your argument is that LJ seemed determined not to rotate last season.

Also, Pack and Brownhill were virtually guaranteed a place every game. So far, I can't see who has come in that might give them some rest time.

Archived