IGNORED

Gary Johnson extended interview

Shtanley

29 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Thanks Stanley, a great listen. Interesting comment from GJ at the end (I'm paraphrasing) "Bristol City can't just leave getting to the Premier League to luck; at some point they'll have to go for it".

Yet another hint at Lansdown's conservatism?

It was interesting to finally get his take on the recruitment issues we had with strikers towards the end of his reign. Basically said he was desperate to find a decent striker but they just couldn't and I suspect that was linked to budget as well, hence the desperation in going for such a leftfield target like Metab and then the long list of poor loan signings. For balance, he was of course given Maynard. 

And I'd forgotten that we picked up Basso from Woking RESERVES, who the hell was their number one at the time?! Such a shame how that ended with Basso believing there was interest from other clubs when there really wasn't... 

Their goalkeeper for 2005/06 was (according to worldfootball.net) Shwan Jalal.

After googling them, Wiki says they're now 35 and at Chesterfield, I hadn't heard of him, but 146 appearances for Bournemouth from 2008-2014 as they started their climb towards the Premier League.

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

@Shtanley you did a 2 hour interview serious justice through really thorough research.  Fair play.

As I've said before if Caroline Ahearne wasn’t dead, you’d be giving Mrs Merton a run for her money ?

"so Mr Johnson what attracted you to the billionaire Steve Lansdown?" 

Great listening sibling!

A few things; Did not know Gary's the oldest brother; always thought it was Steve. Not sure Phil Jevons was given a chance when we where promoted. Interesting about Basso. Would be great to have Adriano's point of view as well like I would love Benny's on a few things Brian mentioned.  Keep the good work up! Quite a few people in Sweden are regullary listening to OSIB :)

Well done Stan for not pulling your punches. That was akin to binge watching a Netflix series, and about equivalent to 6 Robins on the Wire.

Have you thought about approaching Michelle Owen for an interview? It might be a bit off-topic for what you are doing, but I would be interested to find out a bit about her career, views on Women's WC, how she ended up co-presenting a (rival)  Bristol City podcast, and thoughts on City ahead of the new season.

Listened to the first 10 minutes. Can’t wait to do the rest.

Nice relaxed interviewer style and Gary is his usual chirpy, man-next-door self. Infact, Newton Abbot is, near enough, next door!

After we’ve clinched automatic promotion in November, will have to get down to Plainmoor. 

Having just listened to this I realise that I owe our medical staff at that time an apology.

I have stated on here a few times that I thought they were to blame for our Wembley defeat, because they missed just how badly injured Orr was. Johnson has put me right though, by stating that he just ran back on the field without permission.

I don’t know what a medical team could do in such circumstances, I would think that in these more enlightened times, they would be able to get the 4th official to alert the referee and stop the game, but I doubt that was an option in the heat of the moment.

What I find interesting is the commonly held view that we didn’t ‘go for it’ in that transfer window - we ‘only’ signed Carle and Adebola.

some good comments from GJ on that. From my perspective, you can fully understand why he didn’t want to upset the Apple cart and bring in loads of new players, instead placing his trust in the existing group of players who’d got us to that position. 

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. But you can definitely understand why he did it. Who knows - we may not have even made the final had we splashed the cash and brought several players in. 

Great interview as ever though, @Shtanley. Really insightful. 

Archived