Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Sign in to follow this  
Shtanley

Gary Johnson extended interview

Great stuff. Proper club legend is Gary who is still statistically the one to beat for an entire generation. 

You just can’t fail to love GJ and call yourself a City fan, it just doesn’t compute!

• Like 9
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Shtanley said:

Hello chaps,

2nd longform OSIB interview just went live.

2hrs with Gary Johnson, we talk about all sorts of things! He invited me down to watch Torquay train and was very friendly and accommodating.

Listen via any podcast app!

Click here to listen online

Subscribe on iTunes (the episode will appear when you do)

Follow us on twitter and facebook (@OSIBPODCAST)

Long drive to snowdon Saturday, so this should help.

Did you ask about that cowardly excuse of man that bottled it when confronted by GJ?

Edited by Unan
  • Like 5

I'll look forward to listening to this. Love Gary Johnson - my favourite city manager. Legend.

• Like 3

Finished it about 20 mins ago, was a great listen. When he mentioned that a promotion side is likely to always remain friends it makes sense why all the 14/15 players are so close still. 

Funny when he mentioned Palace still haven’t got over those semi final defeats 😂

I’d love one with Cotts. Any luck on that?

1 hour ago, Carey 6 said:

What was the brief moment around 25 minutes about? Was someone telling you to move or something?

I think I must’ve forgotten to edit it out. Think the assistant came in trying to be super quiet iirc. 

Well done for getting Gary to rubbish the utter nonsense from some that some players don’t want to get promoted!!

• Like 1

Cracking listen again cheers Stan. 

You got your Lee Johnson playing history mixed up though, he went to Hearts after Yeovil and we signed him from Hearts!

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, !james said:

Cracking listen again cheers Stan. 

You got your Lee Johnson playing history mixed up though, he went to Hearts after Yeovil and we signed him from Hearts!

True, but he was there very very briefly. 

• Like 1

RR wants to know why you wasted your time talking to GJ. He's no longer at City, don't ya know 😉😂

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, Unan said:

Did you ask about that cowardly excuse of man that bottled it when confronted by GJ?

What's this all about? 

Thanks Stanley, a great listen. Interesting comment from GJ at the end (I'm paraphrasing) "Bristol City can't just leave getting to the Premier League to luck; at some point they'll have to go for it".

Yet another hint at Lansdown's conservatism?

It was interesting to finally get his take on the recruitment issues we had with strikers towards the end of his reign. Basically said he was desperate to find a decent striker but they just couldn't and I suspect that was linked to budget as well, hence the desperation in going for such a leftfield target like Metab and then the long list of poor loan signings. For balance, he was of course given Maynard. 

And I'd forgotten that we picked up Basso from Woking RESERVES, who the hell was their number one at the time?! Such a shame how that ended with Basso believing there was interest from other clubs when there really wasn't... 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, paul_fox said:

What's this all about? 

Robbored was vocal about disliking GJ and repeatedly called him a conference manager when he was part of the SC&T. Johnson invited him in to his office and Robbored browned his pants.

• Haha 2
  • Rovers 1

2 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Robbored was vocal about disliking GJ and repeatedly called him a conference manager when he was part of the SC&T. Johnson invited him in to his office and Robbored browned his pants.

Robbored shat in GJ’s pants?

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

6 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Thanks Stanley, a great listen. Interesting comment from GJ at the end (I'm paraphrasing) "Bristol City can't just leave getting to the Premier League to luck; at some point they'll have to go for it".

It was interesting to finally get his take on the recruitment issues we had with strikers towards the end of his reign. Basically said he was desperate to find a decent striker but they just couldn't and I suspect that was linked to budget as well, hence the desperation in going for such a leftfield target like Metab and then the long list of poor loan signings. For balance, he was of course given Maynard. 

And I'd forgotten that we picked up Basso from Woking RESERVES, who the hell was their number one at the time?! Such a shame how that ended with Basso believing there was interest from other clubs when there really wasn't... 

And if Dad is saying it, you can bet that the son is thinking the same...

• Like 3

One thing I’d have liked to have been asked, from a very selfish perspective, would be the impact of this forum, and time when Pete Johnson was posting. Would have been interesting to know the truths there

• Flames 1

23 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

And if Dad is saying it, you can bet that the son is thinking the same...

He pretty much did last summer when he said it can't always be about the future 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Their goalkeeper for 2005/06 was (according to worldfootball.net) Shwan Jalal.

After googling them, Wiki says they're now 35 and at Chesterfield, I hadn't heard of him, but 146 appearances for Bournemouth from 2008-2014 as they started their climb towards the Premier League.

• Thanks 2

@Shtanley you did a 2 hour interview serious justice through really thorough research.  Fair play.

As I've said before if Caroline Ahearne wasn’t dead, you’d be giving Mrs Merton a run for her money 😜

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Chairman Mao said:

Never forgot that Crystal Palace game, still by favourite moment as a City fan.

The away match with David Noble’s wonder goal? Or the home match with extra time?

both classics in my mind

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LilRascal said:

The away match with David Noble’s wonder goal? Or the home match with extra time?

both classics in my mind

Both I guess, was only at the latter though!

Carey's goal wasn't bad either.

Edited by Chairman Mao
  • Like 1

Just now, Chairman Mao said:

Both I guess, was only at the latter though! 

I was lucky enough to go to both - the noise we made when Noble’s goal went in, and when we got those goals in extra time at home was amazing. Happy days. 

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

@Shtanley you did a 2 hour interview serious justice through really thorough research.  Fair play.

As I've said before if Caroline Ahearne wasn’t dead, you’d be giving Mrs Merton a run for her money 😜

"so Mr Johnson what attracted you to the billionaire Steve Lansdown?" 

Edited by B1ackbird
  • Haha 4

Great listening sibling!

A few things; Did not know Gary's the oldest brother; always thought it was Steve. Not sure Phil Jevons was given a chance when we where promoted. Interesting about Basso. Would be great to have Adriano's point of view as well like I would love Benny's on a few things Brian mentioned.  Keep the good work up! Quite a few people in Sweden are regullary listening to OSIB :)

Edited by bristolcitysweden
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

Well done Stan for not pulling your punches. That was akin to binge watching a Netflix series, and about equivalent to 6 Robins on the Wire.

Have you thought about approaching Michelle Owen for an interview? It might be a bit off-topic for what you are doing, but I would be interested to find out a bit about her career, views on Women's WC, how she ended up co-presenting a (rival)  Bristol City podcast, and thoughts on City ahead of the new season.

Listened to the first 10 minutes. Can’t wait to do the rest.

Nice relaxed interviewer style and Gary is his usual chirpy, man-next-door self. Infact, Newton Abbot is, near enough, next door!

After we’ve clinched automatic promotion in November, will have to get down to Plainmoor. 

Enjoyed that... nicely done and well-researched. Regarding the Chopra incident, it sounded like Gary was about to mention a subsequent conversation with Chopra but got side-tracked and never returned to it. Would liked to have heard how that went!