IGNORED

What are our chances of top six if we sign no other players ?

Major Isewater

1 minute ago, Sturny said:

We're a top 10 side and I don't believe that'll change anytime soon 

I would say mid-table side as the defence looks good albeit threadbare re full back cover.

We've not really strengthened the midfield except for an untried player at this level from League 2 and another from League 1.

Up top we still don't have a striker yet unless Semenyo/Janneh comes through and partners Weimann. Relying on Diedhiou will get us nowhere.

So quite a bit of recruitment still to do imo before I can say top 10 let alone top 6.

7 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

I would say mid-table side as the defence looks good albeit threadbare re full back cover.

We've not really strengthened the midfield except for an untried player at this level from League 2 and another from League 1.

Up top we still don't have a striker yet unless Semenyo/Janneh comes through and partners Weimann. Relying on Diedhiou will get us nowhere.

So quite a bit of recruitment still to do imo before I can say top 10 let alone top 6.

Out of interest why do you think we would be worse than last season ?

We have safely negotiated my initial concerns, where after the loans went back, I wondered how we’d possibly even establish a status quo. 

Excellent business so far has left us as strong as we finished (8th) last season, if not slightly stronger, albeit having lost Kelly. 

We need more cover at left back and probably another midfielder. If we can get a top striker, then I think we could push into the playoffs - but that all depends on who we might lose as well. 

1 minute ago, RedDave said:

Out of interest why do you think we would be worse than last season ?

I suppose there are some who think that because we have virtually the same team as last season, we will automatically finish in a similar position.

Looking at the squad from last season, I think we did extremely well to finish 8th. Overachieved in my opinion which was a pleasant surprise to me.

To push on we need to recruit a few more players in key positions who are better than what we already have and I don't think we've done that - yet.

Right Back

Left Back cover/competition

Defensive midfielder 

Attacking midfielder (Szmodics may be the one but unproven and Palmer would be better)

And the most important one - striker, which is easier said than done (hopefully Semenyo or Janneh can break through or LJ gives Weimann a run in that position).

As it stands, I can't see us being near the bottom but I can't see us being near the top either. A few good signings and that will change my mind.

36 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Not possible due to lack of strength up front. Our best team hasn't changed at all yet!

7 new signings, 3 of which are squad fillers, 2 of which have a chance and 2 who were here last year.

2 outgoings, neither first choice.

Rubbish, it’s entirely possible,  we’ve proven that in the past cardiff got automatic promotion without a single player hitting double figures

Just now, bcfc01 said:

I suppose there are some who think that because we have virtually the same team as last season, we will automatically finish in a similar position.

Looking at the squad from last season, I think we did extremely well to finish 8th. Overachieved in my opinion which was a pleasant surprise to me.

To push on we need to recruit a few more players in key positions who are better than what we already have and I don't think we've done that - yet.

Right Back

Defensive midfielder 

Attacking midfielder (Szmodics may be the one but unproven and Palmer would be better)

And the most important one - striker, which is easier said than done (hopefully Semenyo or Janneh can break through or LJ gives Weimann a run in that position).

As it stands, I can't see us being near the bottom but I can't see us being near the top either. A few good signings and that will change my mind.

Right back we have brownhill and vyner to cover

left back we have Rowe to cover

defensive midfielder we have smith pack and brownhill 

attacking midfield we have Sammie pato and wienman

upfront we are light but 1 striker will cover that

4 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Right Back

Defensive midfielder 

Blimey. That’s an incredibly negative opinion. Our squad has strengthened and our first XI is pretty much the same so would be very surprised if this current squad was near the bottom. 

Just now, Eastside Moonwalker said:

I have a feeling we'll finish top 3. I think the league is generally a bit weak, Leeds being the strongest team in it

Can’t agree

this league will never be week, 

It’s fast becoming a two tier championship with the haves and have nots 

we are the Everton of the championship, not as rich as the top teams due to limitations in revenue which we are putting right but we aren’t in the lower tier like say millwall and Barnsley (no disrespect intended) 

Just now, Monkeh said:

Right back we have brownhill and vyner to cover - a midfielder and a centre back, both of which are not as able as what we have

left back we have Rowe to cover - again, a midfielder

defensive midfielder we have smith pack and brownhill - we don't have Smith, Brownhill and Pack are adequate at this level but there is no equal cover

attacking midfield we have Sammie pato and wienman - Patterson was a passenger for a lot of last season and I see no reason to think it won't be the same again, Weimann is much better when utilised up top imo, Szmodics is jumping two divisions and unproven at this level

upfront we are light but 1 striker will cover that - we really need 2 strikers with caveat that Semenyo may come good (have a good feeling that he might)

I'm not negative as there is still a way to go in the window and I'm sure we will get a few more in.

But equally, I see nothing to get excited about for next season at this moment in time.

1 minute ago, Monkeh said:

Can’t agree

we are the Everton of the championship, not as rich as the top teams due to limitations in revenue which we are putting right but we aren’t in the lower tier like say millwall and Barnsley (no disrespect intended) 

Yeah I think you're right, although checking the odds the bookies have teams like Forest and Preston above us as well as Wednesday (who are very inconsistent). 

Not sure why, just have a rather good feeling about this year

5 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Blimey. That’s an incredibly negative opinion. Our squad has strengthened and our first XI is pretty much the same so would be very surprised if this current squad was near the bottom. 

I'd be very surprised to see us near the bottom as well - as I said before.

10 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Right back we have brownhill and vyner to cover

left back we have Rowe to cover

defensive midfielder we have smith pack and brownhill 

attacking midfield we have Sammie pato and wienman

upfront we are light but 1 striker will cover that

You can’t really have Smith in that list. He won’t be fully fit and back to his possible best near Christmas.

We look pretty thin in midfield and that’s the area I really want to see us strengthen. Pack had bad spells last season and we can’t afford that to happen again if we want to push on.

As others have said, a good striker (better and more clinical than Fam) will make a huge difference. You could argue, as things stand, we're merely consolidating what we had last season. Although it's not that simple. Dasilva was playing his first ever season in the Champ. And got better and better. Webster (if he stays) will continue to improve. I still feel like a creative midfielder is as important as another striker. Someone to offer something a little different. I remain unconvinced that Palmer is that person, should he sign. Brownhill drives the midfield forward, but was clearly knackered by March. Pack rarely offers much as an attacking threat. 

Worth considering that our players all have another years experience after a good season last year, and the league looks weaker on paper for next season. I think this squad we have now would have every chance of top 6.

50 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Can’t agree

Spurs were once in the same position as Everton, those two were always the `nearly` men in the top division - unlikely to go down but not really troubling the big boys.

Spurs have found a way to move up a level and that is what we have to do in our league.

We were a result here or there from play offs last season and we've got back to basically having the same starting XI now so I think we've got a very good chance already, add that I think the division looks weaker this season. From the play off teams, PCDC need to get going quickly, Leeds if they lose Kalvin Phillips could struggle and Bielsa never stays with a club for too long either, don't think he's stayed at a club for more than 2 seasons. West Brom could be the interesting one. Coming down Fulham - who will they have around, Cardiff - should be alright, Huddersfield - ???? The wildcard.

Archived