IGNORED

What are our chances of top six if we sign no other players ?

Major Isewater

57 minutes ago, Lichfield eastend said:

I know Fammy divides opinions but if he’d of not been suspended for the 1st 6 matches he could of made a difference in the 1st 3 matches ie Forest ( d ) Bolton ( d ) Middlesbrough ( L ) , total goals he scored then nearer 20 and automatic this year , just a thought !!!!!!!!

He’s yet to play a full season due to injury and suspension when he does he’ll hit 15 goals easy

8 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Spurs were once in the same position as Everton, those two were always the `nearly` men in the top division - unlikely to go down but not really troubling the big boys.

Spurs have found a way to move up a level and that is what we have to do in our league.

Yep, and we are trying to do that slowly we are getting there

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I think i’m waiting to see why happens in the Forward positions....then will see if our recruitment looks joined up or not.

I reckon LJ could br looking at Semenyo to bolster the front line and I wouldn’t e surprised if he doesn’t sign a striker. If he doesn’t that’ll be a big error of judgement on his part.

I have a funny feeling it might turn on how any loans turn out. At the moment, we look about the same, albeit it’s our team, rather than including the loans: the good loans of last year are now in the main ours, so ‘our’ team is stronger. The loan market will be tighter this year, but a couple of good ones on top of our signings and we are in a good place. 

2 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

I suppose there are some who think that because we have virtually the same team as last season, we will automatically finish in a similar position.

Looking at the squad from last season, I think we did extremely well to finish 8th. Overachieved in my opinion which was a pleasant surprise to me.

To push on we need to recruit a few more players in key positions who are better than what we already have and I don't think we've done that - yet.

Right Back

Left Back cover/competition

Defensive midfielder 

Attacking midfielder (Szmodics may be the one but unproven and Palmer would be better)

And the most important one - striker, which is easier said than done (hopefully Semenyo or Janneh can break through or LJ gives Weimann a run in that position).

As it stands, I can't see us being near the bottom but I can't see us being near the top either. A few good signings and that will change my mind.

Agree with a lot of that.  This division is fine margins. A reversed result here or there probably accounts for 5th-12th.  We are right in that bunch.  8th looks like over-achievement, but I'm beginning to think we’ve sorted ourselves out financially, and are starting to compete if not better those badly run clubs on parachute payments.  I’m quite conservative in my football philosophy, starting from the back, blah, blah, blah.  I think our back 5 (Assuming Webster remains) will be within the top 6 best defences.  What Lee has to do is sort the front 6, and for me that is giving his back 5 more responsibility to free up Marlon Pack or at least the role Marlon played last season.  I rate Marlon, but I think his role seriously constrained us at home where our points tally was woeful for a team attacking the top 6.  Away from home we saw Marlon (and Fam) produce much better displays.  I think Lee has to find a way of breaking teams down away, not just those that sit behind the ball either.

What we need is goals, more goals.  I don’t subscribe that it must be a 20 goal striker (we’ve had Kodjia, Abraham and Reid and failed), but we must stop scraping games by 1 goal...it catches up on you.  We need more goals from Brownhill, needs to get closer to 10.  Eliasson, Paterson too.

The following type of video might not be everyone’s cup of tea, but if you take your over-achievement Statement, let’s ensure we aren’t Newcastle.

2 hours ago, Monkeh said:

Right back we have brownhill and vyner to cover

left back we have Rowe to cover

defensive midfielder we have smith pack and brownhill 

attacking midfield we have Sammie pato and wienman

upfront we are light but 1 striker will cover that

Baker can play LB....not ideal, but he’s done it enough throughout his career and in the top flight.

50 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Agree with a lot of that.  This division is fine margins. A reversed result here or there probably accounts for 5th-12th.  We are right in that bunch.  8th looks like over-achievement, but I'm beginning to think we’ve sorted ourselves out financially, and are starting to compete if not better those badly run clubs on parachute payments.  I’m quite conservative in my football philosophy, starting from the back, blah, blah, blah.  I think our back 5 (Assuming Webster remains) will be within the top 6 best defences.  What Lee has to do is sort the front 6, and for me that is giving his back 5 more responsibility to free up Marlon Pack or at least the role Marlon played last season.  I rate Marlon, but I think his role seriously constrained us at home where our points tally was woeful for a team attacking the top 6.  Away from home we saw Marlon (and Fam) produce much better displays.  I think Lee has to find a way of breaking teams down away, not just those that sit behind the ball either.

What we need is goals, more goals.  I don’t subscribe that it must be a 20 goal striker (we’ve had Kodjia, Abraham and Reid and failed), but we must stop scraping games by 1 goal...it catches up on you.  We need more goals from Brownhill, needs to get closer to 10.  Eliasson, Paterson too.

The following type of video might not be everyone’s cup of tea, but if you take your over-achievement Statement, let’s ensure we aren’t Newcastle.

Baker can play LB....not ideal, but he’s done it enough throughout his career and in the top flight.

Totally agree with what you say.

The video with Newcastle as an example is interesting as I think that applies to City after our play off final and subsequent seasons. We didn't build on it in the right way and we ended up in the third division again - twice.

It is now different imo and the penny seems to have dropped with the analytics guys closely working with the coaching staff and the recruitment staff. It is more joined up.

It does seem that we are heading in the right direction.

Quite simply without a 20 plus goal a season striker we could end up anywhere between 6th and 10th, , with one in my opinion we are top 4.

A proven striker will be expensive and we would have stiff competition in getting him, but not impossible as we are an attractive option for a player looking to join a well run, solvent Championship contender. More realistic may be a starlett from a Premiership development squad such as the Arsenal lad, in other words another Tammy. Those deals tend to be late in the transfer window so perhaps we just need a little patience

All this about proven goal scorers. Whose was Norwich last season before a ball was kicked?

if FD Stays he could have a 20 goals plus season, Seymeno might score 20, all if and buts. A new striker might arrive.  Reality is we have a decent spine, I anticipate a decent season.  

4 minutes ago, Grey Fox said:

And to add to my previous post , do you think that Kalas and DaSilva joined us to be mid table? Maybe, just maybe they were given assurances as to our ambition which influenced them to sign ?

Well, I would hope the club sold the dream to them (and the money and the next 4 years).

But it assures nothing - 23 other clubs will have a say in how we do.

As it stands we are mid-table imo, which is fine.

Another couple of good signings in key areas and we could be in for a good season.

5 minutes ago, DT The Optimist said:

All this about proven goal scorers. Whose was Norwich last season before a ball was kicked?

if FD Stays he could have a 20 goals plus season, Seymeno might score 20, all if and buts. A new striker might arrive.  Reality is we have a decent spine, I anticipate a decent season.  

I'm not that up on the stats but a quick google suggests Semenyo scored 6 goals in 32 games for Newport - in League 2. So I think it may be a bit hopeful to think he could score 20 in the Championship.

I realise he's young so could improve very rapidly. I hope he does. Relying on it though would be a big mistake imo. We need a striker in who's already at the level to score 15-20 goals in this league if we want a good shot at promotion.

Think we need need another 10-15 goals, Assuming tight defence.  Couldn’t care less where they come from!!  If every outfield player could score 1 more than last year, that would be a good start.

Kalas and Dasilva (nor Wright) scored at all.  Marlon just 2.  Hunt just 1.

42 minutes ago, Grey Fox said:

And to add to my previous post , do you think that Kalas and DaSilva joined us to be mid table? Maybe, just maybe they were given assurances as to our ambition which influenced them to sign ?

Have you never been lied too or told a Lie?

5 hours ago, elhombrecito said:

For fear of sounding like the resident forum troll Robbored, I think this is a rather pointless question, as there is zero chance that we won't be signing any further players. 

Yes, but can you hear the tannoy in the Dolman?

10 hours ago, Monkeh said:

You’re kidding right?

fantastic return for a striker, 

there are 24 clubs in the championship how many 20 goals a season between them 6?

15 goals in 46 games - less than one goal every 3 matches. How does that warrant getting 20 grand a week or whatever it is? 

12 hours ago, reddoh said:

Have you never been lied too or told a Lie?

Yes, but the evidence is there, have the club invested in the stadium to make it worthy of the Prem, clearly yes, are the club investing in the training ground and facilities to be able to compete in the Prem, clearly yes, are the club willing to buy players at a greater cost than they have ever done before, we have just done it.

So if you are an aspiring Championship striker, compared to most of our rivals whats not to like?

Archived