IGNORED

City Slash Ticket Allocation - 2,300

Gary Nanes

10 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Great move by the club, long overdue.

2.3k is still a lot of away fans - easily enough to help create an atmosphere without going overboard so their antics become a distraction.

Who goes to a home match wanting to see and hear vast numbers of away fans? Hard to understand imo.

The next news I want is the pitch being widened back to it's traditional width.

I always look forward to a home match a little bit more knowing there’s going to be a large away following. It improves the atmosphere throughout the stadium, spurs our own fans on to make more noise, and creates a far greater sense of occasion and better spectacle.

Even a sold-out Atyeo is hardly a “vast” number anyway.

And I don’t agree it’s a “great move” by the club. If all clubs reduce allocations in the same way, there will be occasions when our own away fans will miss out on games they wanted to attend while there are empty seats elsewhere in the ground. The net effect overall is that fewer fans (of all clubs) watch less football that they wanted to, clubs make less money and atmospheres suffer. We’ve had some big away days in recent years that would not have been as enjoyable had the host clubs taken the same approach.

Tit-for-tat allocations punish football fans as a collective and no one wins from it.

The exception, of course, is when home demand is there to justify the reduced allocation.

13 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I see you’re new. If you think @JBFC II‘s comment makes him ignore-worthy, you might struggle here.

Other people challenging your views is part and parcel of the forum.

I’m aware. Have posted on forums for years, he just comes across as needlessly obnoxious imo.

1 minute ago, Gary Nanes said:

I’m aware. Have posted on forums for years, he just comes across as needlessly obnoxious imo.

If you could point out where I’ve been extremely unpleasant that would be great. 

Apologies if that’s what you’ve felt, it hasn’t been my intention

55 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I see you’re new. If you think @JBFC II‘s comment makes him ignore-worthy, you might struggle here.

Other people challenging your views is part and parcel of the forum.

Sadly I think he’ll fit right in. Already seen him try to gatekeep and tell people to 'do one'. Then he's surprised when he gets called out on it. 

I can understand the reasons for cutting the allocation and it always seems we are relatively generous with it. Problem is that that just makes supporters go 'behind enemy lines'. The Leeds fan in the Dolman is an infamous example. Would like to know what the club are doing with trying to minimise this issue even if it is mostly beyond their control.

Anyone remember the group of Birmingham fans openly celebrating and mocking our fans, while sitting just in front of the Heineken lounge? Last game of the season when we could have sent them down. Now that could have turned ugly. Really ugly.

1 hour ago, AshtonPark said:

Why? You don’t sell out so why can you sell cheap ticket?

surely you don’t need a bigger stadium, you just use the capacity you have. 

You've lost me there,

Do we need a bigger stadium? No probably not, though I'm not sure what that has got to do with what I have been saying :)

3 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

You've lost me there,

Do we need a bigger stadium? No probably not, though I'm not sure what that has got to do with what I have been saying :)

All joking aside it’s the one thing your club needs if you are ever going to progress is a new ground . I’m sorry but for any young natural fans in Bristol city is going to be there choice unless the family have rovers connections . 

Getting back to the topic I love the games when the away fans come and fill the whole end just seems to give it that bit of edge

17 hours ago, Alex_BCFC said:

Get as many in as you can - makes atmosphere better and no team wins cos there is more fans there.

The Sags would know all about this given the thousands they take to away games and look how shit they are!

21 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

You seem to be saying 'I support a better team than you with a nicer ground'

No shit Sherlock :)

Obviously you have a very wealthy owner that has built you a ground  that enables tickets to be sold relatively cheaply (in some cases), although I am quite happy at the £280 for my season ticket, which gives me a place on a terrace (which I prefer to a seat) and also gives me discounts off things like shirts (which I won't use because fat middle aged men don't look good in football kits),  a free pasty and a pint (which I definitely will use) and a free ticket to bring a friend, which- if I ever make one- I may well use as well. It's a nice attempt at spin, but one that doesn't hold up to much scrutiny- oh and by the way, it's you that watches football at a rugby ground not me :)

Anyway, I would have thought all of that is better off in the long running and very popular Bristol Rovers thread which can normally be found on page one of this forum.

Back to away allocations, I'm not specifically concerned with the away allocations that City allow, it is more of a general concern I have that home teams limiting away support is not good for football.

I would hazard a guess that many fans best experience of watching a game involves being part of a large travelling support. In fact, I would go as far to say that many City fans would count as one of their best experiences was being part of a large away following, on a crumbling old fashioned terrace in the FA Cup in the early 80s.

You may be a gashead (and as such, unlikely to ever make that friend, entailing as it would actually finding another gashead) but this forum would be less enjoyable without you; and there aren't so many posters you can say that about.

6 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

You've lost me there,

, I said he built a bigger stadium which enables you to sell more tickets and some at a relatively cheap price!

you said the above? I must have misread what you said 

3 hours ago, Porto Red said:

it's you that watches football at a rugby ground not me :) That made me smile

Back to away allocations, I'm not specifically concerned with the away allocations that City allow, it is more of a general concern I have that home teams limiting away support is not good for football.

I would hazard a guess that many fans best experience of watching a game involves being part of a large travelling support. In fact, I would go as far to say that many City fans would count as one of their best experiences was being part of a large away following, on a crumbling old fashioned terrace in the FA Cup in the early 80s.

While as an away supporter I would agree, specially if there's a game I can't get a ticket for. But these days, as LJ has said before , teams are looking for that 1% extra in their favour. 4k traveling fans can have an effect on their team and so the game, 2.5 can too but probably less so. The 2,300 limit on Leeds may not be purely down to support/backing, the Swansea trouble may have had a baring . But it also had the knock on effect, or it may be the whole reason, City fans get to go in the Atyeo. At Villa last year (hope no Villa read this they'll lose their shit again) LJ mentioned having home fans at both ends, and how that impacted positively on the team. In an ideal world we would have both ends and away support would be tucked away somewhere, as the ground currently is that's not practical,  so the best they can do is open the remainder of the stand to City and hope it has some of effect they are after.
While I love being part of a large following when given the chance, I also get why we can't always do it.

9 hours ago, Newquay-Red said:

Sadly I think he’ll fit right in. Already seen him try to gatekeep and tell people to 'do one'. Then he's surprised when he gets called out on it. 

I can understand the reasons for cutting the allocation and it always seems we are relatively generous with it. Problem is that that just makes supporters go 'behind enemy lines'. The Leeds fan in the Dolman is an infamous example. Would like to know what the club are doing with trying to minimise this issue even if it is mostly beyond their control.

Anyone remember the group of Birmingham fans openly celebrating and mocking our fans, while sitting just in front of the Heineken lounge? Last game of the season when we could have sent them down. Now that could have turned ugly. Really ugly.

Yes I do remember. If they hadn’t been shepherded away they'd have got their heads caved in, funnily enough that was the last time we’ve seen away fans in that part of the ground.

On 06/07/2019 at 11:56, Nogbad the Bad said:

Great move by the club, long overdue.

2.3k is still a lot of away fans - easily enough to help create an atmosphere without going overboard so their antics become a distraction.

Who goes to a home match wanting to see and hear vast numbers of away fans? Hard to understand imo.

The next news I want is the pitch being widened back to it's traditional width.

Nothing like looking at a half empty stand. Really forward thinking.

Why not give the away fans the upper Lansdown which is the one area that struggles to sell out just as Newcastle and Sunderland put them up in the gods, also Borough, Norwich, Villa, Wolves, Man Utd, Leeds, Ipswich, to name a few cope with housing them along the side with home fans segregated at least you would have your Atyeo back

13 minutes ago, Shaun Taylor said:

Why not give the away fans the upper Lansdown which is the one area that struggles to sell out just as Newcastle and Sunderland put them up in the gods, also Borough, Norwich, Villa, Wolves, Man Utd, Leeds, Ipswich, to name a few cope with housing them along the side with home fans segregated at least you would have your Atyeo back

Because the stand hasn't been built with segregated access and turnstiles to the upper tiers.

3 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

Because the stand hasn't been built with segregated access and turnstiles to the upper tiers.

It's  a shame they can't be added as it would sort the problem of fans behind both goals and it wouldn't give away teams with big followings any advantage 

9 hours ago, Shaun Taylor said:

It's  a shame they can't be added as it would sort the problem of fans behind both goals and it wouldn't give away teams with big followings any advantage 

away fans who travel in numbers have an advantage where ever they are in the ground,

the upper lansdown is a non starter as we'd not be able to use the lower due to no segregation 

14 hours ago, View from the Dolman said:

Surely something could be done to address that ? The club nor OB seem happy with no segregation in the fans village right outside the Lansdown.

• Admin
22 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

2,980 seats still available in Dolman and Lansdown stands.

South Stand sold out.

Atyeo for home not available yet.

Thing is we saw time and time again last season that seats were not released for sale until other areas had sold out - unless we have changed how we sell tickets I wouldn't take too much notice of it

Archived