IGNORED

Forest Green Rovers playing in bamboo next season (Merged)

cityexile

2 hours ago, Redwhitepurple said:

Ive actually been going to a good few fgr games spending less at ashton gate kiosks and more at fgr. Lansdown is in such a position he could do so much better environmentally like fgr. Worlds most eco club right on our doorstep, fantastic

That's a very good point..............Lansdown could initiate a eco programme at the club to make us  more forward thinking. It would be great enviromentally and also a great image for our club.   I believe that people who have been fortunate enough to have reached a position of such financial power should be using it to lead the way by setting an example and try to be innovators.  If little old FGR can do it? Why can't other bigger clubs?

I don’t know about cotton but bamboo grows really quickly, I have a lot of bamboo in my garden and have grown a hedge for screening. If not kept in check it grows like crazy, therefore it must be cheap and plentiful. I don’t know what the process is to turn it into clothing involves, apparently cotton takes masses of water. Much better than nylon though. That’s the one thing I hate about football shirts, I can’t stand the feel of them against my skin so I hope this idea catches on.

2 hours ago, RedM said:

I don’t know about cotton but bamboo grows really quickly, I have a lot of bamboo in my garden and have grown a hedge for screening. If not kept in check it grows like crazy, therefore it must be cheap and plentiful. I don’t know what the process is to turn it into clothing involves, apparently cotton takes masses of water. Much better than nylon though. That’s the one thing I hate about football shirts, I can’t stand the feel of them against my skin so I hope this idea catches on.

just tell the players to leave you alone.

How the hell have I lived almost 40 years and never heard that bamboo could be turned into clothing?

The old adage is true - you do learn something new every day!

Another simple way clubs can be better for the environment is to scrap releasing new kit every bloody season.  Get your sponsor tied down for their contract length and use the same strip until the deal ends / or is not extended.

9 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

How the hell have I lived almost 40 years and never heard that bamboo could be turned into clothing?

The old adage is true - you do learn something new every day!

Another simple way clubs can be better for the environment is to scrap releasing new kit every bloody season.  Get your sponsor tied down for their contract length and use the same strip until the deal ends / or is not extended.

Another such way would be not to have overseas training camps in Florida!

On 05/07/2019 at 20:05, cityexile said:

Apparently the fans are getting a bit annoyed by their strikers since they have been wearing this stuff. In training it appears all they are doing is knocking back junk food, taking a shot at goal, and knocking off early. Or as a fan said to me all their number 9 does now is ‘eats shoots and leaves’.

...will get my coat.

9F5B3D4F-8CE5-48E4-8AB2-D0148189F77D.jpeg

71E99DAF-DFB4-424F-AA54-3D21DF089145.jpeg

18 hours ago, RedM said:

Sure that's not Knot weed you have there?

6 minutes ago, EstoniaTallinnRed said:

Sure that's not Knot weed you have there?

No it’s bamboo for certain, I think I will leave it to grow and perhaps be season 2020/21’s official kit supplier ?

On 05/07/2019 at 19:57, elhombrecito said:

I came on here expecting people to be taking the piss, but instead find loads of posts about how soft bamboo is on their skin ?

But yeah, fair play. Every little helps.

But does it? 

It's alright using bamboo shirts, getting rid of plastic straws and cutlery etcbut what's the point when cosmetic products contain micro plastic and we are washing it straight into our rivers and seas? 

Plastic bottles etc take an absolute age to break down. It's the plastics that we can't see that is causing the majority of harm yet not alot is being done about that. 

38 minutes ago, Redmycolour said:

If your going to Forest Green, take your own food, all they sell is vegan food, no burgers or hotdogs, 

I suspect most people would happily try vegan food ahead of football stadium burgers. I know I would and I love meat - not so much low quality burgers and frankfurters.

12 minutes ago, Leveller said:

I suspect most people would happily try vegan food ahead of football stadium burgers. I know I would and I love meat - not so much low quality burgers and frankfurters.

Most people I`ve spoken to who have been to the New Lawn and had something to eat there have said the food is excellent.

44 minutes ago, Redmycolour said:

If your going to Forest Green, take your own food, all they sell is vegan food, no burgers or hotdogs, 

What you mean No Sodium Nitrate, HCA's, and Carciogenics to give you Bowel cancer? Sounds pretty good to me?  Thanks for your tip, but good luck to FGR's for being so innovative and forward thinking.

1 hour ago, Leveller said:

I suspect that your wrong with that conclusion tbh. 

Very few meat eaters are going to choose a vegan burger over a meat burger if given a direct choice between the two.

I'm a meat eater but I am partial to some Quorn meat and I do like the vegan sausage rolls from Gregg's. I may sometimes choose a vegan sausage roll over a meat one but no way would I choose a vegan burger over a meat burger at a football stadium because for me, a day at the football is a day where I can treat myself. 

And let's be honest, after a few beers, most people start to crave something greasy. 

49 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

Very few meat eaters are going to choose a vegan burger over a meat burger if given a direct choice between the two.

I'm a meat eater but I am partial to some Quorn meat and I do like the vegan sausage rolls from Gregg's. I may sometimes choose a vegan sausage roll over a meat one but no way would I choose a vegan burger over a meat burger at a football stadium because for me, a day at the football is a day where I can treat myself. 

And let's be honest, after a few beers, most people start to crave something greasy. 

People eat what they are told to. I think FGR sell a decent amount of food.

Got a lot of time for what they are trying to do

2 hours ago, maxjak said:

What you mean No Sodium Nitrate, HCA's, and Carciogenics to give you Bowel cancer? Sounds pretty good to me?  Thanks for your tip, but good luck to FGR's for being so innovative and forward thinking.

Terrifying, food that hasn't got an inch of grease wrapped around it.

53 minutes ago, David Brent said:

People eat what they are told to. I think FGR sell a decent amount of food.

Got a lot of time for what they are trying to do

I actually have zero time for what they are trying to do. I wouldn't actually visit their ground because of this. I don't believe trying to force things on people is the right way to go about it. 

10 hours ago, Up The City! said:

I actually have zero time for what they are trying to do. I wouldn't actually visit their ground because of this. I don't believe trying to force things on people is the right way to go about it. 

With the greatest respect, I really think you should do some reading and educate yourself?  I am astonished at your viewpoint, and personally find it sad and misguided.  Everyone is entitled to express their opinion on a forum, and although i appreciate that, I do wonder on what attestation your conviction is based?  And I would ask how FGR's are forcing this on people?  It is a matter of choice,

13 hours ago, Up The City! said:

Treat yourself? With a beefburger as sold at a football ground? Bloody hell. What’s your usual diet? Gravel?

The food at forest green is genuinely fantastic. We should all be reducing our meat consumption if you can (you can)

I find meat annoying, expensive, messy and unsanitary to prepare at home but also on the whole, entirely unnecessary to most meals. So while I am not veggie it is good to reduce your reliance on the stuff for your wallet, health and the environment. 

16 hours ago, maxjak said:

With the greatest respect, I really think you should do some reading and educate yourself?  I am astonished at your viewpoint, and personally find it sad and misguided.  Everyone is entitled to express their opinion on a forum, and although i appreciate that, I do wonder on what attestation your conviction is based?  And I would ask how FGR's are forcing this on people?  It is a matter of choice,

It's not a matter of choice tho is it at FGR? It's either vegan food, or no food. It's forcing someone's ideology upon someone and that's what I don't agree with. 

13 hours ago, Fjmcity said:

The food at forest green is genuinely fantastic. We should all be reducing our meat consumption if you can (you can)

I find meat annoying, expensive, messy and unsanitary to prepare at home but also on the whole, entirely unnecessary to most meals. So while I am not veggie it is good to reduce your reliance on the stuff for your wallet, health and the environment. 

The problem is that Vegan options are not cheaper than meat. 

Unnecessary? I couldn't imagine Steak and Chips without the steak tbh? Or a roast dinner without meat, or a fry up without meat. 

5 hours ago, Up The City! said:

The problem is that Vegan options are not cheaper than meat. 

Unnecessary? I couldn't imagine Steak and Chips without the steak tbh? Or a roast dinner without meat, or a fry up without meat. 

Not fussed about vegan.

it is cheaper to drop meat when cooking at home as you are substituting anything meat based for veg essentially.

I also said unnecessary to most meals, all the things you mentioned I would not have without meat and eat with (the appropriate) regularity. However most week night meals don’t require meat. lasagne, spag bol, chilli, stir fry, veggie sausage with mash, use fish in things etc, also encourages more creative cooking and often without having to concern yourself with waiting for meat to cook/check it’s cooked it’s a hell of a lot faster and less complex to do.

im far from a preacher so do what you like,  but you have kind of asked for me opinion and that is that it works for me and I don’t miss it at all, our nations obsession with meat for meat sake though is bizarre. We don’t seem to think anything finished until we put lumps of meat through it which add nothing to the dish.

The inescapable fact is however that cutting your consumption is better for your health and the environment, two things that I can’t argue are anything but good things.

Archived