IGNORED

Le Tour

SecretSam

9 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Alaphilippe! Wow! Who thought he`d still be there?

If he was British the French would be screaming he’s EPO’d up.. 

42 minutes ago, BanburyRed said:

Madness up the Tourmalet. Don't think anyone expected that. More time into Thomas on GC. His to lose now?

Can`t see G doing it this year unless he does something special and/or JA blows up. He just doesn`t look right this year and I suspect the absence of Chris has had a huge effect.

4 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Bernal riding very well though although Pinot looks like he`s going to leave him any second. And he has!

Agree about G though. Hope Simon Yates can hang on too.

Wow all turning around, Gs taking a few seconds here.  Fantastic riding once again. 

39 minutes ago, TomF said:

Alaphilippe looked ****ed once finished. 

Finally cracked I think but well done to him up to now. I thought G was keeping his cards very close to his chest too but clearly wasn`t impressed that he wasn`t able to attack as much as he wanted due to Bernal being up the road.

I`ve just found out from the commentary on today`s stage that Paul Sherwen died last December from a heart attack aged only 62.

I can`t believe that passed me by at the time. It was his and Phil Liggett`s reporting on the major tours that got me into watching cycling as he always had so much enthusiasm for the sport.

RIP Paul.

58 minutes ago, STeveOELlis said:

Heartbreaking for JA. Can imgaine him giving it his all tomorrow but Bernal's too strong

I think he would have lost more time on the final climb.

Hats off to Ineos for launching the double attack. The other GC teams seemed unable or unwilling.

Got to feel a bit sorry for Simon Yates, he may have got his 3rd stage win.

Thankfully the the Tour officials didn't do their usual dithering, but made a quick decision to end the stage, conditions could literally have been lethal. 

1 hour ago, STeveOELlis said:

Heartbreaking for JA. Can imgaine him giving it his all tomorrow but Bernal's too strong

5 minutes ago, Frenchay Red said:

I think he would have lost more time on the final climb.

Hats off to Ineos for launching the double attack. The other GC teams seemed unable or unwilling.

Got to feel a bit sorry for Simon Yates, he may have got his 3rd stage win.

Thankfully the the Tour officials didn't do their usual dithering, but made a quick decision to end the stage, conditions could literally have been lethal. 

Bizarrely it limited the damage to JA - who knows how much more he would have lost on the final climb. They were saying on 5liveextra earlier that Ineos had a team meeting last night to decide who was de facto team leader for the run in. I think we know the outcome of that now.

Gutted for Pinot though, having to retire. He`s really lit up this year`s race.

So they’ve shortened tomorrow’s stage - making it quite a bit easier. They are trying absolutely everything to get that French winner/end Team Sky/Ineos hold on the thing aren’t they? 

Another mental day.  Real shame that they couldn’t go the distance as it was shaping up nicely. Massive shame for Pinot and gutted for JA. 

Was lucky enough to watch it live in Nîmes on Tuesday and even though it was a flat that day the pain on some of the guys faces was extreme. They are absolute machines and no doubt the toughest sportsmen out there - just incredible what they go through.  Best annual sporting event out there imho.   

769E5A6E-0B37-4B0F-9C13-C23EB18C8CC5.jpeg

4 hours ago, TomF said:

So they’ve shortened tomorrow’s stage - making it quite a bit easier. They are trying absolutely everything to get that French winner/end Team Sky/Ineos hold on the thing aren’t they? 

Can't see how cutting the stage down to a mere 59km will do anything other than ensure that Bernal wins. Absolutely no way that Alaphilippe will be able to make up 48 seconds on such a short stage.

5 hours ago, elhombrecito said:

Can't see how cutting the stage down to a mere 59km will do anything other than ensure that Bernal wins. Absolutely no way that Alaphilippe will be able to make up 48 seconds on such a short stage.

It’s less of a climb. Having already abandoned yesterday to save him time and getting rid of Ineos team mates it just seems desperate to me 

3 hours ago, TomF said:

It’s less of a climb. Having already abandoned yesterday to save him time and getting rid of Ineos team mates it just seems desperate to me 

In the Eurosport coverage, you could clearly see the dastardly French pouring buckets of ice cubes down the mountainside onto the road.

Archived