Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

JonDolman

Fam's remarkable goalscoring record in 17/18

Who knows whether Fam is off or not. But lets look back at the 17/18 season.

A goal every 180 minutes exactly. He missed 14 games through injury, scored 13 goals. And near the end of games where statistically it is easier to score, Fam was often not on the pitch as he was often brought off on 70 mins.

This last season he was always going to score less in that lone role. I actually think he is a better player now than what he was when scoring more. He is certainly fitter which makes a huge difference.

If he is still here this season then I think he is capable of scoring 20 or close to it. I don't see why he can't if he would have done the previous season.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Not sure we always played to his strengths, or a system that suits him come to that. Overall, for the outlay I think he's been pretty good. 
I remember someone working out in his first season, if he had played every game his return would have been about the same as Reid (statistically). Last year , if he would have played every game (again pro rata) he works out at 18, that is none too shabby.

Yes there are parts of his game that need a polish, but I would be happy to keep Fam and add a pacey striker. If he goes , I would hope we don't accept less than £10m. Even then , I hope it was part of LJ's plan coming in, and not a reaction to a reasonable fee.

Lastly, one good striking signing and I'm starting to get excited about the coming season.

• Like 1

Decent player - replaceable but also wouldn’t mind keeping him if we add another decent striker. 

Amount of abuse he gets on here is crazy considering the tough role he had last season. 

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Not sure we always played to his strengths, or a system that suits him come to that. Overall, for the outlay I think he's been pretty good. 
I remember someone working out in his first season, if he had played every game his return would have been about the same as Reid (statistically). Last year , if he would have played every game (again pro rata) he works out at 18, that is none too shabby.

Yes there are parts of his game that need a polish, but I would be happy to keep Fam and add a pacey striker. If he goes , I would hope we don't accept less than £10m. Even then , I hope it was part of LJ's plan coming in, and not a reaction to a reasonable fee.

Lastly, one good striking signing and I'm starting to get excited about the coming season.

Yep. And midfielder imo.

On Fam, I keep using Warnock as an example. But I completely get why Cardiff might be in for him.

If he was at Cardiff, Warnock would not have their midfielders passing it to Fam's feet all the time. Warnock would get the very best out of Fam. We don't.

And strangely I'm glad we don't as that would mean watching an awful style of football. 30% possession, smashing it to the wings or up to Fam. No thanks.

For us he doesn't suit some of the players he plays with and the way we sometimes play, certainly at home. But that doesn't mean he isn't a good player.

We saw how effective he can be with a good striker partner in games like Preston with Semenyo and Sheff U with Weimann.

I think Semenyo and Diedhiou could be a great combination fwiw. 

• Like 3

I agree that he gets a lot of OTT criticism on here. Contrast that with Matty Taylor who seems to be baffling popular for a striker who hardly ever scores.

I'd like to keep FD, get rid of MT and bring in another quality striker. Not another target man from Barnsley, more a pacy striker. 

Maybe Semenyo will fulfill that role but he didn't score that many even in L2. Would like us to bring in someone with AS as his backup.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

I agree that he gets a lot of OTT criticism on here. Contrast that with Matty Taylor who seems to be baffling popular for a striker who hardly ever scores.

I'd like to keep FD, get rid of MT and bring in another quality striker. Not another target man from Barnsley, more a pacy striker. 

Maybe Semenyo will fulfill that role but he didn't score that many even in L2. Would like us to bring in someone with AS as his backup.

It is interesting who fans have as their favourites. I think when Fam wins a header fans probably just think well that's his job, as he's a big guy. And if a ball goes up to Fam and he keeps hold of it with his back to goal and lays it off simply to a teammate then once again they probably just think well that's simple enough.

But if a ball goes up to Taylor or Weimann on their own then they either lose the header, or can't hold it up when up against the big centre half. Do people criticise either of those two for being short and weak? Doubt it. But they will criticise Diedhiou for not having Weimann's movement or not having Taylor's touch.

I rate Fam, but I don't think we play to his strengths. It would be all about how much we are offered as to whether I would sell him. And of course there must then be 2 quality strikers to come in. I am more than happy to keep Fam though, and I am sure we'd only sell for a good price. 

Agree on Taylor. I'd get rid. If only he had a bit of pace and power to go with what he can do on the ball. But he isn't really going to push us on up the table.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Agree on Taylor. I'd get rid. If only he had a bit of pace and power to go with what he can do on the ball. But he isn't really going to push us on up the table.

Been saying this a long, long time. To make it  clear I don't think Fam is the striker to push us into the Prem but he deserves more credit (especally from my family) and Taylor's performances should reduce the  plaudits. Also, if we are looking to introduce Semenyo, Janneh etc then having him in the squad isn't helping.

13 minutes ago, FrozenRobin said:

Been saying this a long, long time. To make it  clear I don't think Fam is the striker to push us into the Prem but he deserves more credit (especally from my family) and Taylor's performances should reduce the  plaudits. Also, if we are looking to introduce Semenyo, Janneh etc then having him in the squad isn't helping.

I am no fan of MT, a nuisance when he comes on but that is usually later in a game, when most mobile strikers with a little pace/brain could cause problems to a tiring defence. Had to say that Semenyo is definitely ready to take Taylors place on what I've seen, but in the little I have seen I think he might be. The games for Newport were a lower level or Cup, which is different. The Leeds game was a farce, he isn't a winger. The impact he made at Preston did give me great hope though. I think Janneh could do with a decent League loan though, so if Taylor goes we will need one striker in, even if @Davefevs "false 9" theory turns out to be true.

3 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I am no fan of MT, a nuisance when he comes on but that is usually later in a game, when most mobile strikers with a little pace/brain could cause problems to a tiring defence. Had to say that Semenyo is definitely ready to take Taylors place on what I've seen, but in the little I have seen I think he might be. The games for Newport were a lower level or Cup, which is different. The Leeds game was a farce, he isn't a winger. The impact he made at Preston did give me great hope though. I think Janneh could do with a decent League loan though, so if Taylor goes we will need one striker in, even if @Davefevs "false 9" theory turns out to be true.

Reckon it will be Janneh going to Newport on Monday on loan.

If Semenyo gets himself Champ-sharp, he’s gonna cause some problems.

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 1

Scored 13, but nobody mentioned the 130 he missed.

To be fair, we didn't play to his strengths as he is not the type of forward to be played up front on his own.

If we play 2 up top, then we should keep him, but if not, perhaps we shouldcash in if he really is worth £8 to £10 million.

From my observations, he seems to lack pace and stamina.  His commitment in the challenge, whether it be in the air or on the ground is also questionable. His ability to trap, control a ball and pass accurately is alo poor.

That said, if we played him in a more traditional formation, he might show his worth and you must remember that his scoring record in his first season was pretty decent with Bobby Reid alongside him.

• Like 1

The stick he gets is crazy - whilst we could always do better, that will cost significant money.....find the right partner for him, as per the Fam/Reid combo and given the rest of the team/squad (bar another midfielder) that we now have, we could be in for a great season!

Exciting times......

Edited by Loosey Boy

6 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

Sorry to pick you up on this, but it's one of my pet hate Americanisms, and makes about as little sense as "I could care less"; and I was surprised that you got it right the first time but then changed it for the worse. 

Quite why I consistently imagine that a football forum is an appropriate place for English lessons, is another issue.

1 minute ago, Porto Red said:

Sorry to pick you up on this, but it's one of my pet hate Americanisms, and makes about as little sense as "I could care less"; and I was surprised that you got it right the first time but then changed it for the worse. 

Quite why I consistently imagine that a football forum is an appropriate place for English lessons, is another issue.

One of my many faults , poor English and not re reading my posts.

See, should be two of my many faults, but I re read this one :thumbsup:

14 hours ago, JonDolman said:

And near the end of games where statistically it is easier to score, Fam was often not on the pitch as he was often brought off on 70 mins.

Is that true? 

I am a big fan of Diedhiou and don't doubt the job he can do in this upcoming season. I simply think he needs competition for his place in the team and having no-one to fill in when he has a bad run of form or gets injured would be poor planning.

Inconsistency is the big thing for me with Fam, world beater one game - missing an open goal (hull game) the next.

Took my girlfriend's family to see us Vs Bolton and they couldn't believe he was our record signing.

On 06/07/2019 at 12:16, Davefevs said:

Reckon it will be Janneh going to Newport on Monday on loan.

If Semenyo gets himself Champ-sharp, he’s gonna cause some problems.

Semenyo looked very strong yesterday and also very sharp.

I agree, if he can get up to speed with the championship he could be very handy and save the club a lot of money. There's no doubting he is physically up to it already and looks quite imposing from pitch level. Looking forward to seeing him play this season (shame he's not available for the Leeds game). I can see him replacing Diedhiou - depending upon LJs preferred formation of course.

Janneh also impressed and if he goes to Newport they'll be happy to have had two excellent loanees from us on the bounce.

Future looking bright with those two.

• Like 1

On 06/07/2019 at 11:15, robin_unreliant said:

Exactly my thoughts!