IGNORED

Surprise Package - The Bobby Reid award

mozo

So who was our biggest surprise star last season and therefore gets the award named after the greatest surprise package of recent memory, our Bobby?

Must be between Jay Dasilva and Niki Mäenpää, no??

And who do you think could surprise us all with their breakthrough season or surprise improvement in 2019-20?

Famara hitting 25 goals?

Bakinson dominating the midfield?

Bas Savage to come out of retirement to finally fulfill his potential?!

16 minutes ago, mozo said:

So who was our biggest surprise star last season and therefore gets the award named after the greatest surprise package of recent memory, our Bobby?

Must be between Jay Dasilva and Niki Mäenpää, no??

And who do you think could surprise us all with their breakthrough season or surprise improvement in 2019-20?

Famara hitting 25 goals?

Bakinson dominating the midfield?

Bas Savage to come out of retirement to finally fulfill his potential?!

I've heard that Baz would be  falling over himself for the chance of a return to Ashton Gate.

I don't think anyone was a surprise other than Maenpaa. And even then Brighton fans were saying how amazing he was, so I guess I wasn't shocked when I saw they were right.

Elliason certainly worth a shout, I think we had absolutely every reason to believe this chap was going to fall into the same category as your Styvar's, Engvall's etc but managed to wholly turn it around and I firmly believe his left peg will prove invaluable this season coming.

2 minutes ago, WWred said:

Elliason certainly worth a shout, I think we had absolutely every reason to believe this chap was going to fall into the same category as your Styvar's, Engvall's etc but managed to wholly turn it around and I firmly believe his left peg will prove invaluable this season coming.

I don’t think I ever felt that. New signings - particularly youngsters - often need time to bed in. Don’t always expect them to hit the ground running.

Niki Maenpaa all day long for me too.

25 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I don't think anyone was a surprise other than Maenpaa. And even then Brighton fans were saying how amazing he was, so I guess I wasn't shocked when I saw they were right.

Brighton fans were also saying how amazing El-Abd was and we know how that one panned out! I didn't rate Niki at all when he signed based on how many games he'd actually played in the past few seasons, but he's turned out to be a quality addition.

Will be an interesting battle for the no1 shirt this season with Bentley's arrival, both will be looking to impress during pre season.

Tough one in my eyes it's between 4:

- Niki Mäenpää, fantastic performance week in and out

- Adam Webster, didn't expect him to be that good

- Niclas Eliasson, really stepped up last season after his struggles the season before.

- Andi Weimann, not known for his goalscoring abilities but scores a hattrick against Sheffield United! 

But I think the winner for me is Mäenpää, signed as no. 2 ended up as no. 1 at the end of the season. There is a caveat included though I would probably have Semenyo for his time on loan at Newport and not the second half of the season. 

31 minutes ago, mozo said:

I called it the Bobby Reid award but was Aaron Wilbraham actually the best surprise package in recent years? It could change to the Wilbs award

I think you're right there; Aaron would probably have retired without that chance meeting in the gym but he was superb.

Bobby was like Aden Flint; an existing reasonably good player who became loads better one season than had previously been the case.

Bobby's was primarily the change of position IMO, credit LJ for that, but Aden's was all his own work. He left in May a reasonably good defender and came back in August an excellent one. He must have been training like a madman all summer.

1 hour ago, Eddie Hitler said:

I think you're right there; Aaron would probably have retired without that chance meeting in the gym but he was superb.

Bobby was like Aden Flint; an existing reasonably good player who became loads better one season than had previously been the case.

Bobby's was primarily the change of position IMO, credit LJ for that, but Aden's was all his own work. He left in May a reasonably good defender and came back in August an excellent one. He must have been training like a madman all summer.

Good points. Maybe it was also serendipity as well because wasn't there a lack of fit strikers that pre-season and Bobby was the best available option. Then he started scoring goals in every game.

9 minutes ago, The Journalist said:

I'm surprised people are so surprised about Niclas Eliasson?!

There was very clearly a serious player in there from his debut at Birmingham City in August 2017!

I was definitely surprised by the top drawer goals that Niclas and O'Dowda scored

Don’t really think anyone surprised, Niki is clearly a decent keeper, but only 26 appearances. Elliason has his moments, but drifts out of games for long periods. Weimann was much as we knew, plus a purple patch at start of season, and 3 at  Sheff Utd. Webster was good, We knew that, but there had been fitness issues in the past.

27 minutes ago, Chappers said:

Don’t really think anyone surprised, Niki is clearly a decent keeper, but only 26 appearances. Elliason has his moments, but drifts out of games for long periods. Weimann was much as we knew, plus a purple patch at start of season, and 3 at  Sheff Utd. Webster was good, We knew that, but there had been fitness issues in the past.

How about Lloyd Kelly? He transformed himself into a £15m man.

Archived