IGNORED

Pontus Jansson signs for Brentford

Gary Nanes

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Very well indeed- always thought with our better facilities, bigger revenue base we could be like a "Brentford Plus" or look at it as a model at least- obviously we have an academy but I don't think they do but some similar principles  applicable for sure.

Were they to hold onto Maupay and sign Jansson, playoff contenders IMO. They had a bad spell last year when Smith went but 2nd half of the season seemed to yield good results/displays for them.

Think it is inevitable they lose Maupay though. Maybe they look at Webster the same way?  Goal scorers tend to move on though. That said they will still have Watkins, Benrahma and Canos most likely. PJ and a striker makes them dangerous. Maybe even playing Watkins centrally. They will be good next season. Finished the season well

7 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Very well indeed- always thought with our better facilities, bigger revenue base we could be like a "Brentford Plus" or look at it as a model at least- obviously we have an academy but I don't think they do but some similar principles  applicable for sure.

Were they to hold onto Maupay and sign Jansson, playoff contenders IMO. They had a bad spell last year when Smith went but 2nd half of the season seemed to yield good results/displays for them.

Our recent activity has been very good and Brentford Like

Their new stadium puts them almost on an uncanny par with us

Just now, JoeAman08 said:

Think it is inevitable they lose Maupay though. Maybe they look at Webster the same way?  Goal scorers tend to move on though. That said they will still have Watkins, Benrahma and Canos most likely. PJ and a striker makes them dangerous. Maybe even playing Watkins centrally. They will be good next season. Finished the season well

They could always look to do some deal with him that guarantees a £15-20m release clause if no top 6 finish for summer 2020,  or even if they're well off the pace in the January window- could certainly look at ways of delaying the inevitable.

19 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

As long as he’s better than our last £5m+ striker ...

Diedhiou is seriously underrated by many on here, and certainly worth more then the £5.2 million we paid for him. 

However, we do need to get a top goal scorer and really I’d see that as more of a priority than another centre back

5 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Diedhiou is seriously underrated by many on here, and certainly worth more then the £5.2 million we paid for him. 

However, we do need to get a top goal scorer and really I’d see that as more of a priority than another centre back

I agree - we definitely need a top goalscorer - our great run of having them has tailed off - Baldock, Wilbs, Kodjia, Tammy, Reid (surprisingly) then we’ve faltered in this area ...

1 minute ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I agree - we definitely need a top goalscorer - our great run of having them has tailed off - Baldock, Kodjia, Tammy, Reid (surprisingly) then we’ve faltered in this area ...

You could probably add JET, Agard and Wilbs to that list as well. It’s certainly somewhere we’ve been very good at recruiting in recently, need to do that in the next month if we are serious about the play offs

1 minute ago, JBFC II said:

You could probably add JET, Agard and Wilbs to that list as well. It’s certainly somewhere we’ve been very good at recruiting in recently, need to do that in the next month if we are serious about the play offs

Apologies JB - I edited my post to add Wilbs before your reply came through ... but if we are serious about having a go at going up we need a top, proven goalscorer ... we were lucky to discover Reid’s prowess in the goalscoring stakes, we’d do well to find another overnight sensation like that. 

3 hours ago, JBFC II said:

Don’t agree.

His touch for a player in a top 10 Championship side is worse than appalling.

He does not have the pace required.

Misses chance after chance.

Anyone offering our money back should have their arm grabbed off.

He tries, no question of that, and he cares, but at this level that is nowhere near enough.

5 hours ago, ScottishRed said:

Don’t agree.

He tries, no question of that, and he cares, but at this level that is nowhere near enough.

But scores goals!

6 hours ago, ScottishRed said:

Don’t agree.

His touch has improved immeasurably over the past season, although I agree it still isn’t good enough. 

Judging him off of his pace is harsh as that isn’t what his game is built around. 

He does miss chances, but he also scores goals. Not enough to make him a striker to rely on, but he’s certainly won us a lot of points with his goals. 

If we accepted £5.2 mill for him I’d be very disappointed, especially in today’s market

14 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

He does miss chances, but he also scores goals.

Yep just like every other striker on the planet, I imagine his conversion of clear cut chances is nowhere near as bad statistically as people like to make out. Good luck to Fam if he moves on, I imagine he’s pretty frustrated at the stick he gets having been our top scorer for the last two seasons. 

Better than 1 in 3 apps in a City shirt, very good return for the type of forward he is. I wouldn’t dream of letting him go unless we have at least two incoming strikers. 

6 hours ago, ScottishRed said:

Don’t agree.

‘Worse than appalling’?  Come on, get real.  His touch is not that much worse than many big centre forwards, some playing at higher levels.  Give the guy a break.

14 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Yep just like every other striker on the planet, I imagine his conversion of clear cut chances is nowhere near as bad statistically as people like to make out. Good luck to Fam if he moves on, I imagine he’s pretty frustrated at the stick he gets having been our top scorer for the last two seasons. 

Better than 1 in 3 apps in a City shirt, very good return for the type of forward he is. I wouldn’t dream of letting him go unless we have at least two incoming strikers. 

He missed the 2nd most big chances in the division last year from one of the stattos on twitter, he's a 15 goals a season striker we need to keep him in the squad and add/develop a 20 goal plus striker, maybe that guy is already here? 

16 minutes ago, Loosey Boy said:

Great signing for Brentford if true....£5.5m would appear to be very cheap vs other fees being paid out

They seem to be improving their squad this summer too, just like us

If they keep hold of their forward-line, could do really well this season 

Brentford perhaps realising that pretty football isn’t the be-all and end-all.  New stadium, want to push on???

35 minutes ago, Loosey Boy said:

Great signing for Brentford if true....£5.5m would appear to be very cheap vs other fees being paid out

They seem to be improving their squad this summer too, just like us

If they keep hold of their forward-line, could do really well this season 

They're looking good. Celtic are after Sawyers though so if they were to loose him and Maupay then their chances will take a major hit. 

43 minutes ago, bristolcity said:

He missed the 2nd most big chances in the division last year from one of the stattos on twitter, he's a 15 goals a season striker we need to keep him in the squad and add/develop a 20 goal plus striker, maybe that guy is already here? 

Fair shout that doesn’t reflect well on him! However his goals to minutes ratio is actually not too dissimilar to many other decent forwards at this level. I don’t think he’ll ever be a 20-25 scoring regular because he’s just not ‘that type’ of striker.  

I think people forget how much football he missed and still achieved a respectable goals tally though  

1 in 3 in a City shirt is not bad by any stretch and he’s now undoubtedly worth more than we paid for him.

I agree that we desperately need one of that type though, a Gayle type who you know you can rely on to finish those chances when they come. A proven goal scorer in our team last year and we’d have been competing for automatic promotion, never mind missing out on the playoffs. 

42 minutes ago, bristolcity said:

We need to be more clinical in front of goal, but in that respect Famara is not the only culprit, but as our main striker is obviously the most prominent. His main weakness for me is being quick over 5 yards, in the way that someone like Bobby Reid was/is.

However, as others have already said he has proven himself to be a 1:2 scorer at this level, but i would also add that I suspect that if you asked championship defenders which striker they hate playing against, then Famara would be towards the top of the list

1 hour ago, downendcity said:

We need to be more clinical in front of goal, but in that respect Famara is not the only culprit, but as our main striker is obviously the most prominent. His main weakness for me is being quick over 5 yards, in the way that someone like Bobby Reid was/is.

However, as others have already said he has proven himself to be a 1:2 scorer at this level, but i would also add that I suspect that if you asked championship defenders which striker they hate playing against, then Famara would be towards the top of the list

We need others to take responsibility too.  Not enough goals from all over the pitch.

1 hour ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Fair shout that doesn’t reflect well on him! However his goals to minutes ratio is actually not too dissimilar to many other decent forwards at this level. I don’t think he’ll ever be a 20-25 scoring regular because he’s just not ‘that type’ of striker.  

I think people forget how much football he missed and still achieved a respectable goals tally though  

1 in 3 in a City shirt is not bad by any stretch and he’s now undoubtedly worth more than we paid for him.

I agree that we desperately need one of that type though, a Gayle type who you know you can rely on to finish those chances when they come. A proven goal scorer in our team last year and we’d have been competing for automatic promotion, never mind missing out on the playoffs. 

Yep I agree, that player to get a goal at a crucial time, also would probably help Fam as it would take some of the pressure away from him. 

I do wonder whether Johnson feels there's enough goals between weimann, seymeno and Taylor to not require spending anymore money, could szmodics be that player to spot weimanns runs and in turn weimann bags 20 goals, who knows? But let's hope next May were not saying if only we'd had a goalscorer we'd have won automatic promotion! 

Archived