Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Sign in to follow this  
Gary Nanes

Pontus Jansson signs for Brentford

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

£4m is a bit cheap isn't it??

Just a bit for divisions best CB.

Bielsa has fallen out with him and frozen him out according to Twitter. Phil Hay and the BBC say he’s all but gone.

Just now, Gary Nanes said:

Bielsa has fallen out with him and frozen him out according to Twitter. Phil Hay and the BBC say he’s all but gone.

Well yeah- when you put it like that!

Probably blowback from Bielsa allowing Aston Villa to score and him trying to dive in and stop it- still I'd expect them to try to maximise any value even if they want him out!

• Like 1

Would love him here but think it’s a bit optimistic and that he will go for more than £4m. Will probably go to a lower or newly-promoted Prem side

4 minutes ago, Newquay-Red said:

Would love him here but think it’s a bit optimistic and that he will go for more than £4m. Will probably go to a lower or newly-promoted Prem side

Villa are looking for a centre back !

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Gary Nanes said:

Appears to have all started with Leeds allowing Derby to score and Jansson disagreeing and trying to stop it , IIRC Bielsa took him off 

• Like 1

Thought I read Sheffield United are interested. I wouldn't be a fan of going to a back 3 just for him. Didn't look right last season when Kalas was right and Webster left. They were more like full backs.

If I had him then I'd have Kalas and Webster ahead of him because of how great they are together. Can't really get someone like that in as back up.

15 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Appears to have all started with Leeds allowing Derby to score and Jansson disagreeing and trying to stop it , IIRC Bielsa took him off 

Against Villa that was. Didn’t bring him off, dropped him for the playoff games against Derby though.

2 minutes ago, Gary Nanes said:

Against Villa that was. Didn’t bring him off, dropped him for the playoff games against Derby though.

Sorry

yes your right

post season dementia !

it was Villa and think you are right about leaving him out

But it seemed to be the walk in goal that started the problem 

• Like 2

Has been linked with Fulham this summer and I imagine he has contacts in Italy still. He will find a home but I doubt it will be here. 

1 hour ago, Matty_Taylor_is_god said:

Get him in and sell baker. He’s a born winner

As if it were that easy.

It’ll be more like sell Baker first then get someone in.

2 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

The ONLY player to come out of that farce with any credit imo.

I do hope we aren’t in the mix for him, as that would probably mean Webster could well be off, or we’ll go for 3 at the back Webster, Jansson, and Kalas. What a dream that would be, the only downside would be that given Referees performances against us they’d have a field day with Jansson.

Edited by BCFC11
  • Aubergine 1

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

That would be some signing for them!

Totally agree

And they sold Mepham for ?

They run their business very well

still don’t like em for some reason  !

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Totally agree

And they sold Mepham for ?

They run their business very well

still don’t like em for some reason  !

Very well indeed- always thought with our better facilities, bigger revenue base we could be like a "Brentford Plus" or look at it as a model at least- obviously we have an academy but I don't think they do but some similar principles  applicable for sure.

Were they to hold onto Maupay and sign Jansson, playoff contenders IMO. They had a bad spell last year when Smith went but 2nd half of the season seemed to yield good results/displays for them.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Very well indeed- always thought with our better facilities, bigger revenue base we could be like a "Brentford Plus" or look at it as a model at least- obviously we have an academy but I don't think they do but some similar principles  applicable for sure.

Were they to hold onto Maupay and sign Jansson, playoff contenders IMO. They had a bad spell last year when Smith went but 2nd half of the season seemed to yield good results/displays for them.

Think it is inevitable they lose Maupay though. Maybe they look at Webster the same way?  Goal scorers tend to move on though. That said they will still have Watkins, Benrahma and Canos most likely. PJ and a striker makes them dangerous. Maybe even playing Watkins centrally. They will be good next season. Finished the season well

7 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Our recent activity has been very good and Brentford Like

Their new stadium puts them almost on an uncanny par with us

• Like 4

Just now, JoeAman08 said:

Think it is inevitable they lose Maupay though. Maybe they look at Webster the same way?  Goal scorers tend to move on though. That said they will still have Watkins, Benrahma and Canos most likely. PJ and a striker makes them dangerous. Maybe even playing Watkins centrally. They will be good next season. Finished the season well

They could always look to do some deal with him that guarantees a £15-20m release clause if no top 6 finish for summer 2020,  or even if they're well off the pace in the January window- could certainly look at ways of delaying the inevitable.

My Leeds mate who has good links to the club reckons that Pontus is trouble. Thats apparently from Heckingbottom, make of that what you will, just passing it on.

• Thanks 1

Be a quality signing for Brentford. 

Surprised one of the promoted clubs wouldn’t take him on, he’s premier league quality easily. 

Would rather we put the 5.5 million towards a striker though

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JBFC II said:

Would rather we put the 5.5 million towards a striker though

As long as he’s better than our last £5m+ striker ...

19 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

As long as he’s better than our last £5m+ striker ...

Diedhiou is seriously underrated by many on here, and certainly worth more then the £5.2 million we paid for him. 

However, we do need to get a top goal scorer and really I’d see that as more of a priority than another centre back

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Diedhiou is seriously underrated by many on here, and certainly worth more then the £5.2 million we paid for him. 

However, we do need to get a top goal scorer and really I’d see that as more of a priority than another centre back

I agree - we definitely need a top goalscorer - our great run of having them has tailed off - Baldock, Wilbs, Kodjia, Tammy, Reid (surprisingly) then we’ve faltered in this area ...

Edited by BS4 on Tour...
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I agree - we definitely need a top goalscorer - our great run of having them has tailed off - Baldock, Kodjia, Tammy, Reid (surprisingly) then we’ve faltered in this area ...

You could probably add JET, Agard and Wilbs to that list as well. It’s certainly somewhere we’ve been very good at recruiting in recently, need to do that in the next month if we are serious about the play offs

1 minute ago, JBFC II said:

You could probably add JET, Agard and Wilbs to that list as well. It’s certainly somewhere we’ve been very good at recruiting in recently, need to do that in the next month if we are serious about the play offs

Apologies JB - I edited my post to add Wilbs before your reply came through ... but if we are serious about having a go at going up we need a top, proven goalscorer ... we were lucky to discover Reid’s prowess in the goalscoring stakes, we’d do well to find another overnight sensation like that. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JBFC II said:

Don’t agree.

His touch for a player in a top 10 Championship side is worse than appalling.

He does not have the pace required.

Misses chance after chance.

Anyone offering our money back should have their arm grabbed off.

He tries, no question of that, and he cares, but at this level that is nowhere near enough.

• Like 5
  • Aubergine 2
  • Rovers 1

5 hours ago, ScottishRed said:

Don’t agree.

He tries, no question of that, and he cares, but at this level that is nowhere near enough.

But scores goals!

6 hours ago, ScottishRed said:

Don’t agree.

His touch has improved immeasurably over the past season, although I agree it still isn’t good enough. 

Judging him off of his pace is harsh as that isn’t what his game is built around. 

He does miss chances, but he also scores goals. Not enough to make him a striker to rely on, but he’s certainly won us a lot of points with his goals. 

If we accepted £5.2 mill for him I’d be very disappointed, especially in today’s market

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

He does miss chances, but he also scores goals.

Yep just like every other striker on the planet, I imagine his conversion of clear cut chances is nowhere near as bad statistically as people like to make out. Good luck to Fam if he moves on, I imagine he’s pretty frustrated at the stick he gets having been our top scorer for the last two seasons. 

Better than 1 in 3 apps in a City shirt, very good return for the type of forward he is. I wouldn’t dream of letting him go unless we have at least two incoming strikers. 

Edited by BRISTOL86
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, ScottishRed said:

Don’t agree.

‘Worse than appalling’?  Come on, get real.  His touch is not that much worse than many big centre forwards, some playing at higher levels.  Give the guy a break.

• Like 2

Great signing for Brentford if true....£5.5m would appear to be very cheap vs other fees being paid out

They seem to be improving their squad this summer too, just like us

If they keep hold of their forward-line, could do really well this season