IGNORED

What could be learned from Hallen

Silvio Dante

The short answer to this is normally very little. Although Szmodics looked very good, Janneh stood out in game 3 and Semenyo a “baller” so they say, this was ultimately a game against a team many levels down so our players should look good.

I also don’t go with the theory that those who played in game 3 from the seniors are necessarily on their way out. I do think the COD move was to make a point, but Taylor Moore is fifth choice CB and third choice RB currently so when else would he play? 

The big takeaway for me today was a suggestion on how we may play next year. Although it looked like a 4-4-2 from lineup, that first half hour was more like 4-2-3-1, with Marley Watkins being the one up top and Eliasson, Szmodics and Weimann buzzing behind on a relatively narrow basis. Game two - Fam doing the Watkins job, Paterson, Adeluken & Semenyo doing the buzzing. In each game we then had a relatively deep two in Pack/Bakinson or Walsh/Brownhill. The narrowness (although fluid) was then offset by Hunt overlapping in game one - not as noticeable in game two due to Vyners less natural width.

So, what I think I see is that we’re playing 4-2-3-1 with a big man up top. Can definitely see Keiffer Moore fitting into that as a Fam rotation, and if anything did happen with Palmer/Nketiah then they could fit in the three behind (the former as being in a three may mean less work). It also shows the thinking in the Rowe signing as JDS cover as a mid-cum-defender as opposed to a pure LB. I think we may see another CM, big CF and reserve RB coming in who can play this system.

Oh, and the black kit looks dandy.

1 minute ago, Silvio Dante said:

The short answer to this is normally very little. Although Szmodics looked very good, Janneh stood out in game 3 and Semenyo a “baller” so they say, this was ultimately a game against a team many levels down so our players should look good.

I also don’t go with the theory that those who played in game 3 from the seniors are necessarily on their way out. I do think the COD move was to make a point, but Taylor Moore is fifth choice CB and third choice RB currently so when else would he play? 

The big takeaway for me today was a suggestion on how we may play next year. Although it looked like a 4-4-2 from lineup, that first half hour was more like 4-4-2-3-1, with Marley Watkins being the one up top and Eliasson, Szmodics and Weimann buzzing behind on a relatively narrow basis. Game two - Fam doing the Watkins job, Paterson, Adeluken & Semenyo doing the buzzing. In each game we then had a relatively deep two in Pack/Bakinson or Walsh/Brownhill. The narrowness (although fluid) was then offset by Hunt overlapping in game one - not as noticeable in game two due to Vyners less natural width.

So, what I think I see is that we’re playing 4-4-2-3-1 with a big man up top. Can definitely see Keiffer Moore fitting into that as a Fam rotation, and if anything did happen with Palmer/Nketiah then they could fit in the three behind (the former as being in a three may mean less work). It also shows the thinking in the Rowe signing as JDS cover as a mid-cum-defender as opposed to a pure LB. I think we may see another CM, big CF and reserve RB coming in who can play this system.

No wonder we scored 14..... 

What LJ was looking for was sharpness and signs of players playing intuitive passes with their teammates. It’s early days as LJ said but good early signs especially from some of the younger players.

Obviously the game was a massive mismatch but these community fixtures always are and not much more than a training session for the City professionals.

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

What LJ was looking for was sharpness and signs of players playing intuitive passes with their teammates. It’s early days as LJ said but good early signs especially from some of the younger players.

Obviously the game was a massive mismatch but these community fixtures always are and not much more than a training session for the City professionals.

?

52 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

The big takeaway for me today was a suggestion on how we may play next year. Although it looked like a 4-4-2 from lineup, that first half hour was more like 4-2-3-1, with Marley Watkins being the one up top and Eliasson, Szmodics and Weimann buzzing behind on a relatively narrow basis. Game two - Fam doing the Watkins job, Paterson, Adeluken & Semenyo doing the buzzing. In each game we then had a relatively deep two in Pack/Bakinson or Walsh/Brownhill. The narrowness (although fluid) was then offset by Hunt overlapping in game one - not as noticeable in game two due to Vyners less natural width.

So, what I think I see is that we’re playing 4-2-3-1 with a big man up top. Can definitely see Keiffer Moore fitting into that as a Fam rotation, and if anything did happen with Palmer/Nketiah then they could fit in the three behind (the former as being in a three may mean less work). It also shows the thinking in the Rowe signing as JDS cover as a mid-cum-defender as opposed to a pure LB. I think we may see another CM, big CF and reserve RB coming in who can play this system.

4-2-3-1 is exactly what I am hoping for. We have a range of players who can play in that narrow 3, with the full backs providing the width.

There is then the option of introducing wingers and switching to 4-4-2 as the need arises.

@Silvio Dante thanks SD.  Ignoring it was Hallen, did the 3 rotate or was it Weimann | Szmodics | Eliasson?  Did Eliasson play narrower?  Did it impact his crossing, or benefit it?  Did the 3 get beyond the striker.  Too often Paterson won’t run beyond making it easier for defenders.  

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

Plus the chance for a local team to earn some decent cash I hope. 

25 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

@Silvio Dante thanks SD.  Ignoring it was Hallen, did the 3 rotate or was it Weimann | Szmodics | Eliasson?  Did Eliasson play narrower?  Did it impact his crossing, or benefit it?  Did the 3 get beyond the striker.  Too often Paterson won’t run beyond making it easier for defenders.  

I’d say two of the three rotated Dave, that being AW and SS. NE was a bit narrower and there was less opportunity for him to cross - don’t think that was formation, just reflective of most of the play being central or RHS. Certainly SS & AW got beyond Marley - and even ignoring it was Hallen, speed of passing/movement that facilitated that was very good

21 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Continuously. 

I have to admit that when the game started I was racking my brain as to who the number 10 was as he was buzzing around and scoring a couple with some good link up play. Only dawned on me it was Szmodics after the first 30 had ended. Ok, it was a kickabout, but I liked what I saw of him.

Other standouts for me;

Weimann, Adelakun, Semenyo, Janneh, - all looked like they'd been let loose after being locked up for a few months.

Few were rusty imo  - Kalas, Baker, Vyner, but a couple of competitive games will sort that out.

Couple were well off - Paterson, Diedhiou, heavy touches and clumsy imo

Fringe players - Moore did well and it was obvious he was trying to impress, didn't notice Walsh but that may just be me, Baldwin was good, and the CB in the first 30 (I think it was Batten ?) looked good.

3 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Continuously. 

I have to admit that when the game started I was racking my brain as to who the number 10 was as he was buzzing around and scoring a couple with some good link up play. Only dawned on me it was Szmodics after the first 30 had ended. Ok, it was a kickabout, but I liked what I saw of him.

Other standouts for me;

Weimann, Adelakun, Semenyo, Janneh, - all looked like they'd been let loose after being locked up for a few months.

Few were rusty imo  - Kalas, Baker, Vyner, but a couple of competitive games will sort that out.

Couple were well off - Paterson, Diedhiou, heavy touches and clumsy imo

Fringe players - Moore did well and it was obvious he was trying to impress, didn't notice Walsh but that may just be me, Baldwin was good, and the CB in the first 30 (I think it was Batten ?) looked good.

Batten?

Hers the starting eleven;

At least the City players didn’t celebrate like USA did even if they beat their score. Obviously only a community game but players with class will still shine through. A few observations:-

Bakinson - looks like he has got a good football brain and reads the game well. He knows what he is going to do with the ball before he receives it and gives the impression of having that extra bit of time that only classy players have. He passed the ball quickly and incisively. Whether he is combative enough to play in a midfield two I don’t know.  His height is obviously an advantage for defensive duties but I’m not sure he uses it as well as Pack.

Eliasson - I hope and believe he will have an essential part to play in the coming season with a few goals in him and plenty of assists as he almost always gets his dangerous crosses in.  A much more consistently effective player than O’Dowda.

Szmodics – looks like the ideal number 10 and I think he will combine goals, skill and work rate in the Championship.  Looks like he is a determined character and, early days but seems like the type of who will continue to shine as he moves up the leagues.

Watkins – ideally he will be moved on.  Might score a few though as a target man if we were desperate with injuries.  City have too many skilful wide players for him to be in contention there.

Famara – we need an upgrade. If City can get the figures talked about (£8m plus) for him then that’s very good business.  Would be happy if the Club get £5m plus.  The positive case is that he scored 13 goals and hit the cross bar / post a fair number of times last season and helps defensively.  The negatives are that he gets a lot of chances and has a poor conversion rate, if those were to fall to someone more clinical then 20 goals a season would be a given rather than an optimistic hope.  

Adelakun – lots of effort.  Probably a bit harsh for a 30 minute run out, but I  wasn’t over impressed. 

Semenyo -  Oozes class. Strong, well balanced, skilful, drives forward and links play well.  A must start for me. No surprise that Chelsea were interested. City have a gem of a player here.

Baldwin - don’t know much about him but he looked good. Looks like he has the physique and other attributes to be a very good centre half.

Janneh – looked good  and I’d like to see him retained and used from the subs bench.

Rowe – wrong side of the pitch to see much of him. 

Liam Walsh – made some nice runs and looks a tidy player.  City have struggled with results whenever he has played so maybe a season loan with a strong league 1 team will be best.

Weimann, full of energy and movement as usual and will play an important part of the season.

Vyner- played right back so it looks like that’s where Lee Johnson will consider playing him if Hunt gets injured.  A bit hard to judge him given he is not being given an opportunity in his favoured position.  He obviously had a mixed season but ended strongly with a struggling team. 

16 hours ago, Robbored said:

What LJ was looking for was sharpness and signs of players playing intuitive passes with their teammates.

Just for interest's sake. Peterborough played St Mirren (SPL) in Spain yesterday and won 2-0. Cambridge Utd sent their team to Fulham (now back in the Championship) for a "behind closed doors" friendly and won 3-1. On the face of it PB and CB have already clicked. St Mirren play their first competitive game next Saturday.

Unable to go because of holiday.

I would not read too much into the composition of the three sides that played 30 minutes each. It is, after all, a day for the host club to get a bit of spotlight, City, to let the fans and especially the children, enjoy being close to our players, getting autographs and chatting to the players.

Deep down inside the heads of LJ and his coaching team, there may be some method or reason but it's basically a fly the flag day. as this annual Community Match is infintely better than an Open Day at Ashton Gate, IMO.

3 hours ago, bcfcnick said:

At least the City players didn’t celebrate like USA did even if they beat their score. Obviously only a community game but players with class will still shine through. A few observations:-

Bakinson - looks like he has got a good football brain and reads the game well. He knows what he is going to do with the ball before he receives it and gives the impression of having that extra bit of time that only classy players have. He passed the ball quickly and incisively. Whether he is combative enough to play in a midfield two I don’t know.  His height is obviously an advantage for defensive duties but I’m not sure he uses it as well as Pack.

Eliasson - I hope and believe he will have an essential part to play in the coming season with a few goals in him and plenty of assists as he almost always gets his dangerous crosses in.  A much more consistently effective player than O’Dowda.

Szmodics – looks like the ideal number 10 and I think he will combine goals, skill and work rate in the Championship.  Looks like he is a determined character and, early days but seems like the type of who will continue to shine as he moves up the leagues.

Watkins – ideally he will be moved on.  Might score a few though as a target man if we were desperate with injuries.  City have too many skilful wide players for him to be in contention there.

Famara – we need an upgrade. If City can get the figures talked about (£8m plus) for him then that’s very good business.  Would be happy if the Club get £5m plus.  The positive case is that he scored 13 goals and hit the cross bar / post a fair number of times last season and helps defensively.  The negatives are that he gets a lot of chances and has a poor conversion rate, if those were to fall to someone more clinical then 20 goals a season would be a given rather than an optimistic hope.  

Adelakun – lots of effort.  Probably a bit harsh for a 30 minute run out, but I  wasn’t over impressed. 

Semenyo -  Oozes class. Strong, well balanced, skilful, drives forward and links play well.  A must start for me. No surprise that Chelsea were interested. City have a gem of a player here.

Baldwin - don’t know much about him but he looked good. Looks like he has the physique and other attributes to be a very good centre half.

Janneh – looked good  and I’d like to see him retained and used from the subs bench.

Liam Walsh – made some nice runs and looks a tidy player.  City have struggled with results whenever he has played so maybe a season loan with a strong league 1 team will be best.

Weimann, full of energy and movement as usual and will play an important part of the season.

Vyner- played right back so it looks like that’s where Lee Johnson will consider playing him if Hunt gets injured.  A bit hard to judge him given he is not being given an opportunity in his favoured position.  He obviously had a mixed season but ended strongly with a struggling team. 

Good to hear that Aden Baldwin was in the squad because he had a nasty injury last season, just after going out on loan (was it to Cheltenham Town?)

When I saw him last play for our under 23's, he looked a very good prospect.

4 minutes ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

I see this as a bit of fitness and skill practice. Hats off to the Hallen boys for not getting frustrated and being tempted to put dangerous tackles in - it can’t be fun to be on the receiving end of a 14-0 thrashing. 

I was having those exact thoughts yesterday. One of them could easily put in a shit tackle by being frustrated. They were a credit to themselves. On watching MT yesterday obviously considering the opposition his movement and awareness really is fantastic. I hope we don’t sell him. Just my opinion 

14 hours ago, bcfcnick said:

Bit confused here. I'm sure Baldwin didn't play at all in any of the three games. Not sure he's fully recovered from his bad injury.

The CB in the 3rd game was Harvey Smith  I think.

6 minutes ago, ncnsbcfc said:

So I'm not going mad. Baldwin never played; and it was Smith. You missed the other Smith off your list @Davefevs.

But even in his physical state, he would have raced past their number 5. Who looked like he's had too many pork pies.

This is just a tab for Friendlies, which of course Korey won’t play.  Korey is in the master tab. ?

Archived