IGNORED

Converting Marley Watkins

TBW

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

I wouldn't be surprised if he is still here as back up. He works hard and is versatile. His touch is not the greatest, but nor is Weimann's.

I reckon Marley and Weimann are similar type of players actually. Apart from Marley being stronger, better in the air. Weimann bit better technically. 

Both players like space to attack and both can play anywhere across the front line. Their work rate makes them the players they are more than what they do on the ball.

We don't know what is happening up top. But if we sell Taylor and bring in Moore then we will have 4 strikers. Johnson likes having 5, so Watkins could be our 5th option like Eisa was last season. As well as being a wide option too.

Not against that at all. We could easily get a couple of injuries up top and were suddenly worrying about how many strikers we have.

Get rid of Watkins and keep Taylor. Both not regulars but Taylor can have a big impact as a sub.

6 minutes ago, bcdc said:

If AR has swallowed a dictionary , as Robbored suggests, we need to know which one, so we can avoid it. 

Vimally?

Catennachio?

Cognuoscento?

Where has the finger-wagging emoji gone?  Just what I needed too!

P.S. Proust wasn’t an existentialist either ?

Never heard vimally before, I think  cantennachio is a defensive style of Italian football, cognuoscento.......at a educated guess I’d say it’s some kind of specific thinking ........:dunno:

4 minutes ago, WECANDO said:

Get rid of Watkins and keep Taylor. Both not regulars but Taylor can have a big impact as a sub.

Not that easy. It is easier and more economical to move Taylor. Taylor would give us some type of profit FFP wise. Whereas we would take a loss on Watkins most likely. 

As far as Watkins goes, he can play anywhere in a front 4. Meaning if we go 4231 he can play as the target striker or any of the positions behind that. That said he would seem third choice at best for any of those spots. Striker he’d be behind Fam and Semenyo as target types imo. Could see him on the right as an option back post for crosses but you have Szmodics, Eliasson, Weimann, Paterson, Semenyo, COD, Brownhill and Adelakun as options for those roles too. 

If we sell Taylor and O’Dowda perhaps he has a part to play but imo he is still taking minutes from Adelakun, Eliasson and Szmodics. Idk seems a long way for Watkins to play a vital role.

That said, in the right role, he is a capable player. I won’t write him off like some here. As mentioned above his couple goals were massive ones and he does seem to have a knack for arriving in the box at the right time. 

7 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Never heard vimally before, I think  cantennachio is a defensive style of Italian football, cognuoscento.......at a educated guess I’d say it’s some kind of specific thinking ........:dunno:

RR, my point about the dictionary was that vimally isn’t a word, and the other two are spelled wrongly. 

Google ‘cognoscente’ and you’ll perhaps be delighted about its relevance to a number of OTIB posters...

P.S. to save you one bit of googling it’s catenaccio not catennachio

3 hours ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

Hopefully this season we will witness the resuscitation of a great footballing tradition, when Bristol City come of age, with almost Proustian displays of modern existentialist football.

Vimally annihilating by midfield moral argument the now surely obsolescent catennachio defensive philosophy of Neil Warnock.

Cardiff indeed will be a side intellectually out argued by a City thrusting and bursting with aggressive Kantian positivism and outstanding in this fine team, the arch-thinker, free scheming, scarcely ever to be curbed, midfield coguoscento, Marley Watkins

Buongiorno nuovo AR,

You should take lessons in Italian spelling.

Catenaccio

Cognoscenti

Renew your seat with us and I'll give you Italian grammar lessons at half time!

All OK with you? @Abraham Romanovich

PS for all other posters. AR and I know each other so I'm only having a bit of summer banter. 

I've thought it for a while now. He's strong, good in air and works hard,pace?cant be slower then Diedhiou. Not sure about his finishing as I've not seen him play through the middle. Maybe we will see him up top in the coming friendly games. 

6 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Buongiorno nuovo AR,

You should take lessons in Italian spelling.

Catenaccio

Cognoscenti

Renew your seat with us and I'll give you Italian grammar lessons at half time!

All OK with you? @Abraham Romanovich

PS for all other posters. AR and I know each other so I'm only having a bit of summer banter. 

Blimey I didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition.

After about 10 seconds

6 hours ago, bcdc said:

If AR has swallowed a dictionary , as Robbored suggests, we need to know which one, so we can avoid it. 

Vimally?

Catennachio?

Cognuoscento?

Where has the finger-wagging emoji gone?  Just what I needed too!

P.S. Proust wasn’t an existentialist either ?

.............but he was pretty good behind the wheel of an F1 car.   :) 

I blame @Silvio Dante.  Had he not explained that our 4231 v Hallen shaped up the way it did, I would be quaffing the suggestion of signing Kieffer Moore or the thought of Watkins up top.

But there is a possibility (it’s just one friendly vs Toolstation Hallen However) that LJ wants a mobile big-man to allow his forward three to buzz around.

If there was a criticism of Fam (from me, plenty of criticism from many others) it was he never run his CB markers into the channel, he rarely spun off their shoulders, he was a static easy to mark / bully, and his first touch came into question.

I have wondered all close season how LJ intends to play this season.  I still am, but I'm starting to see a plan.  I might be back to square one when we see tomorrow’s line-up, or the ones in Florida, especially Derby.  I do expect something different from last season.  I could see a scenario where Fam isn’t an auto-pick too.

Watkins does have a goalscoring capability, arriving at the far post of the wing, or cutting inside as we saw at Barnsley.  He’s not a player I particularly rate, but he can be effective.

10 hours ago, TBW said:

Something has to be done with the guy ultimately and I doubt we've given up just yet.

I can't help thinking that we might take the cheap way out of finding a striker option and hope Watkins can fill the void now we've spent pretty hard already...

Not saying I want to, just that the staff might think we can pull a Bobby Reid job on him?

Let’s hope not. He ain’t gonna be a Bobby and I’d be pretty unhappy to see so much quality come in to just take a punt on Watkins coming good. Get rid.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I blame @Silvio Dante.  Had he not explained that our 4231 v Hallen shaped up the way it did, I would be quaffing the suggestion of signing Kieffer Moore or the thought of Watkins up top.

But there is a possibility (it’s just one friendly vs Toolstation Hallen However) that LJ wants a mobile big-man to allow his forward three to buzz around.

If there was a criticism of Fam (from me, plenty of criticism from many others) it was he never run his CB markers into the channel, he rarely spun off their shoulders, he was a static easy to mark / bully, and his first touch came into question.

I have wondered all close season how LJ intends to play this season.  I still am, but I'm starting to see a plan.  I might be back to square one when we see tomorrow’s line-up, or the ones in Florida, especially Derby.  I do expect something different from last season.  I could see a scenario where Fam isn’t an auto-pick too.

Watkins does have a goalscoring capability, arriving at the far post of the wing, or cutting inside as we saw at Barnsley.  He’s not a player I particularly rate, but he can be effective.

Yeah, sorry about that Dave - must be less observant next time ???

1 hour ago, Chris_Brown said:

A lot of people seem keen to write off a player who's only played around 500 minutes of football for us. 

Makes a change from people writing off players before they've played any minutes of football for us.

:whistle:

1 hour ago, Chris_Brown said:

A lot of people seem keen to write off a player who's only played around 500 minutes of football for us. 

I don't think any reasoned person is keen to right Pearson off. However:

Is that all he's played for us as it seems so much, much, much longer....;

Thank Christ it's only 500 minutes.

His like are exactly why we haven't progressed to the next step.

12 hours ago, TBW said:

Something has to be done with the guy ultimately and I doubt we've given up just yet.

I can't help thinking that we might take the cheap way out of finding a striker option and hope Watkins can fill the void now we've spent pretty hard already...

Not saying I want to, just that the staff might think we can pull a Bobby Reid job on him?

Too late that's Sammies Role

Archived