Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Not so sure implementation of  VAR is the biggest issue

The new handball directives far more damaging to the game

and a complete farce 

It will not be implemented throughout football at its different levels. It certainly will not at youth and non league levels. Like VAR people have chosen to fragment a game that once had universal rules at each level regardless of ability, level etc … These are bad things from their outset. 

Edited by Cowshed
Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, WhistleHappy said:

I think the 'microscopic scrutiny' approach to 'offsides' that VAR allows is bloody farcical, annoying, stupid and if an attacker is offside by a toenail who gives a damn? So what, goal should stand, if purists don't like it well pardon the pun but that'll be just toe bad!

Reckon the offside rule should only apply if its shown that there was 'clear daylight' between the last defender and the goalside attacker..  (the onus then rests with the competence or otherwise of the defence to prevent such situations, if they cant then fair play to the attack for gaining a one on one with the goal keeper).   

Clear daylight or its not offside, keep the game flowing, create a few more striker v goalkeeper 'duels' .. goals and or saves.

 

 

I understand and agree with a whole host of issues with VAR

But

Once you introduce it , you reduce any leeway

 if you ignore , offside by a toe , where do you stop , is a few inches ok ?  A foot ?

You have put forward the daylight idea but Then there would be massive delays whilst the two lines are analysed to decipher..........whether there was ‘clear daylight’

And Clear daylight between what (Any part of the body ?)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Part I don’t agree with VAR is offside with a camera in the stand drawing a line which they think when the ball was passed. It’s not 100% accurate and if your going with such fine margins then there has to be leeway for the attacker.

Also don’t think there should be a them and us scenario in football. All laws should be same all levels not just Elite. Goal line technology is fair but we are now having competitions when depending on who’s ground it’s played at you get VAR.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Just puzzled about "40 years" in relation to offside law.

It's been in football ever since the game started 150 years ago. Changed a few times but always been there.

You are right, I was drunk. I had it in my head that there was some notion of forwards just standing by the goal waiting for long balls.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I understand and agree with a whole host of issues with VAR

But

Once you introduce it , you reduce any leeway

 if you ignore , offside by a toe , where do you stop , is a few inches ok ?  A foot ?

You have put forward the daylight idea but Then there would be massive delays whilst the two lines are analysed to decipher..........whether there was ‘clear daylight’

And Clear daylight between what (Any part of the body ?)

Preferably, scrap the var altogether, live with, like and lump incorrect refereeing (human error) decisions, they have been part of the game we love forever and let's not go down the route of using expensive technology to differentiate even further the 'elite' game and that of 'grassroots' football, (not withstanding goalline technology which is a valid and useful addition to the pro game) …. Let the linesman and ref make the decisions, good or bad, for better or for worse … albeit nowadays referees assistants and 'fourth official's ' etc.    Give the man/woman in the middle a whistle, cards and notebook and the person running the line a flag! Full stop. 

PS .. Offside decided by clear air between opposing players 'torso' IF spotted by referee of flagged from sidelines. (sod the half a shoesize decisions taken by technology)   

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, downendcity said:

I'm just waiting for VAR to be used at every corner and free kick into the box and the penalties that it will thereby identify for defenders holding and shirt pulling.

The again, I don't think I will hold my breath!

What I am anticipating is "good" goals being disallowed for a striker being 0.000000000001mm offside 5 minutes earlier in the build up.

For me if the body/torso is level it should be onside. If you foot is slightly ahead then so be it

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think VAR will be a good thing in the long run, but as many people are saying, it will take time to be properly implemented.

They need to put a stop to the arbitrariness of it's current application. Originally there was a big deal made of the fact that it would only be used for 'Clear and obvious' decisions. That's not happening now.

What it is, currently, is a set of additional officials using their own opinion to alter major decisions as they're made. We don't need that.

What I think would be a good place to start, is to draw a clear line on what it is used for, and to stop the lengthy pitch-side reviews.

My personal opinion would be, that the extra officials in the VAR studio make the final call on decisions, they signal to the referee what the final decision is. They're a team of officials afterall, why should it matter whether the referee on the pitch makes the final decision, as long as the majority of the team of officials agrees. As for what decisions are reviewed, I believe they should stick to: Every goal, a quick check for offside on the final pass leading to a goal, that's it, don't go back through the whole move. Same goes for fouls in the build up, if there's clearly a found immediately before a goal (may have to set an arbitrary time line here, say 5 seconds before a goal), fine, but no combing through the entire move. Every penalty, studio officials come to a consensus and tell referee what the decision is. Same goes for red cards. Obviously it can be used as it would be now for mistaken identity. That should be it imo.

As for people's complaints about handballs, that is down to the actual rules set by FIFA, not VAR. VAR is just applying those rules.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Snufflelufagus said:

For me if the body/torso is level it should be onside. If you foot is slightly ahead then so be it

As I think someone else has pointed out, with goal line technology the "camera" is viewing exactly along the goal line, so can measure definitively whether the ball has crossed the line .

By comparison, one of the fundamental issues I have  with VAR, when it comes to offside decisions, is that a line is superimposed across the pitch but there is no camera angle that can view at exactly 90 degrees to the touchline, and also judging the point at which the ball was struck.It's not an issue when the forward as well ahead of the defender, but it certainly is an issue when we are talking about a toe's length ahead.

I am sure a techno expert will tell me that the line that's superimposed is exact, but as I mentioned, it just not feel accurate enough when we are talking about judging such small margins.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Cowshed said:

It will not be implemented throughout football at its different levels. It certainly will not at youth and non league levels. Like VAR people have chosen to fragment a game that once had universal rules at each level regardless of ability, level etc … These are bad things from their outset. 

The problem is that every player in non league and youth football will now appeal for every ball to hand moment in the game, citing to the ref that it gets given at the higher level. The law makers are creating a monster.

Forget respect, non league refs are in for even more of a shit show than they already get.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, downendcity said:

As I think someone else has pointed out, with goal line technology the "camera" is viewing exactly along the goal line, so can measure definitively whether the ball has crossed the line .

By comparison, one of the fundamental issues I have  with VAR, when it comes to offside decisions, is that a line is superimposed across the pitch but there is no camera angle that can view at exactly 90 degrees to the touchline, and also judging the point at which the ball was struck.It's not an issue when the forward as well ahead of the defender, but it certainly is an issue when we are talking about a toe's length ahead.

I am sure a techno expert will tell me that the line that's superimposed is exact, but as I mentioned, it just not feel accurate enough when we are talking about judging such small margins.

 

The lines are definitely always perfect. :dunno:

0f49aa345a88eab0df0982cb228bd888.png

Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder how long it will be before a `big` club gets a result they don`t like overturned because their staff have found something in the tape of the match that should have been given/not given at the time. Worse still, they find something untoward in one of their rivals` games and demand that they are docked points.

I don`t watch football because I want to see every minute analysed in minute detail to ensure everything is correct - I go to be entertained by the wonderful, often flawed spectacle that is our beloved game.

Kill VAR dead now.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...