IGNORED

Bentley, Szmodics & Rowe: Fan's opinions

The Exiled Robin

Over the past week I've been posting articles on my blog around those of our new signings that fans may not be quite so aware of.  Here are all the links, posted in one go for you to read as you wish.

Sammie Szmodics: https://theexiledrobin.org/2019/07/supersonicszmodics/

Tommy Rowe: https://theexiledrobin.org/2019/07/tommy-rowes-in/

Daniel Bentley: https://theexiledrobin.org/2019/07/bentleyrollsin/

Summarising their views I'd say we might just have found a diamond in Szmodics, Rowe's move was as big surprise to Doncaster fans but we know his his versatility would have appealed to Lee Johnson who likes those types of players, especially as a sub - even if he might not be the Korey Smith type of player I think many of us thought he might be, whilst the Bees fans confirm Daniel Bentley has lots of ability and potential,  but also go over a fairly poor last 12 months for him...

14 minutes ago, bristolcitysweden said:

In general, with only reading the line of subject, I have a major problem with keepers who are not humble thinking they are far better than they actually are. Kind of sea side resort ideas that need to be closed down.

I’ll have a bit of whatever you’re on

4 hours ago, bristolcitysweden said:

I have followed Bentley for a long time. He knows he is gifted but can't handle it. In my opinion.

Hopefully competing for the spot will make a huge difference here. Seems like he was guaranteed a spot in that Brentford team whatever the circumstance.

16 hours ago, The Exiled Robin said:

Over the past week I've been posting articles on my blog around those of our new signings that fans may not be quite so aware of.  Here are all the links, posted in one go for you to read as you wish.

Sammie Szmodics: https://theexiledrobin.org/2019/07/supersonicszmodics/

Tommy Rowe: https://theexiledrobin.org/2019/07/tommy-rowes-in/

Daniel Bentley: https://theexiledrobin.org/2019/07/bentleyrollsin/

Summarising their views I'd say we might just have found a diamond in Szmodics, Rowe's move was as big surprise to Doncaster fans but we know his his versatility would have appealed to Lee Johnson who likes those types of players, especially as a sub - even if he might not be the Korey Smith type of player I think many of us thought he might be, whilst the Bees fans confirm Daniel Bentley has lots of ability and potential,  but also go over a fairly poor last 12 months for him...

Great articles, thank you for posting.

Really looking forward to seeing what Szmodics can do for us as it sounds like he's eager to prove himself against tougher opposition.

But I'm concerned that Rowe has been described as 'inconsistent' by Doncaster fans as surely that can't improve at Championship level?

I would like to say that I trust LJ to spot a relatively cheap player who can provide backup in several positions....but I'm not sure I have that faith. Marley Watkins hasn't really demonstrated that versatility outweighs fans' uncertainty.

More than anything, I hope Rowe and Bentley don't block the opportunities for youth and academy players.

10 hours ago, Xiled said:

Great articles, thank you for posting.

Really looking forward to seeing what Szmodics can do for us as it sounds like he's eager to prove himself against tougher opposition.

But I'm concerned that Rowe has been described as 'inconsistent' by Doncaster fans as surely that can't improve at Championship level?

I would like to say that I trust LJ to spot a relatively cheap player who can provide backup in several positions....but I'm not sure I have that faith. Marley Watkins hasn't really demonstrated that versatility outweighs fans' uncertainty.

More than anything, I hope Rowe and Bentley don't block the opportunities for youth and academy players.

Rowe is a good technical player.  My hope is that he benefits from playing with better players.  

On 08/07/2019 at 17:48, AppyDAZE said:

"There aren’t too many fans who can lay the claim that their goalkeeper has saved a man from drowning. Or has saved a shot with his private parts."

Blimey! Someone might be able to come up with a song for this guy

On 08/07/2019 at 17:58, bristolcitysweden said:

In general, with only reading the line of subject, I have a major problem with keepers who are not humble thinking they are far better than they actually are. Kind of sea side resort ideas that need to be closed down.

So he thinks he's Bertie Big Bollocks

10 hours ago, Xiled said:

It’s important not to underestimate just how good the training regimens at Failand are. A tremendous amount of data goes into the design along with expertise of LJ, Macca and Deano.

Given a full preseason the coaching team will  have time to maximise the potential of each player and Instil the ‘Bristol  City style -whatever that is. No one on here seem to know............:dunno:

Despite the signings there’s still a pathway from academy to first team - it’s all about whether the academy players have the quality to become first team candidates and we all know that the percentage that do make it is very small.

I might be jumping the gun.......but i believe we could have unearthed a little gem in Szmodics, he's different to anyone we presently have, and his style of play looks the type to cope with the step up in standard.   We could have got ourselves a bargain, and at 23 his best days are ahead, what a fantastic bit of business.  He also turned down other clubs to sign for us, so really has shown commitment.  Also the point made about Peterboro is spot on, they must have an excellent scouting system, and have over time recruited some outstanding strikers, theyr'e cannot be another lower league side who has bought low and sold high, some real goalscoring talent.............Gayle,  Assombalonga and Marriott to name just three.

40 minutes ago, maxjak said:

I might be jumping the gun.......but i believe we could have unearthed a little gem in Szmodics, he's different to anyone we presently have, and his style of play looks the type to cope with the step up in standard.   We could have got ourselves a bargain, and at 23 his best days are ahead, what a fantastic bit of business.  He also turned down other clubs to sign for us, so really has shown commitment.  Also the point made about Peterboro is spot on, they must have an excellent scouting system, and have over time recruited some outstanding strikers, theyr'e cannot be another lower league side who has bought low and sold high, some real goalscoring talent.............Gayle,  Assombalonga and Marriott to name just three.

Yeah I really have a good feeling about him this season too, and he also speaks really well when interviewed etc! Weren't Derby, Hull and possibly Leeds very interested in him too? Very glad we got that deal over the line.

On 08/07/2019 at 17:48, AppyDAZE said:

"There aren’t too many fans who can lay the claim that their goalkeeper has saved a man from drowning. Or has saved a shot with his private parts."

Blimey! Someone might be able to come up with a song for this guy

“Dan Bentley....woooah, Dan Bentley...

He dived into the docks

He saved one with his cock

Dan Bentley....woooah, Dan Bentley...”

Bentley needed a new challenge after the season Brentford had last year. Class is permanent. I'm sure he will prove to be a top signing. Let's face it, none of us knew anything about Rowe or Sammie before they were signed. That said you can already see that Rowe will be an invaluable utility player and being left footed is a further bonus. Sammie looked the business on you tube and I am happy to say looks even better in the skin. He is going to be a real star who even after two pre season games looks a cert to start on Aug 3rd. Rene has surpassed my expectations in the two games as well. He looks as though he can challenge the other two keepers for the number 1 spot which can only be good news. All of them seem to have gelled really quickly. The last time we signed this many and they immediately clicked, we walked the League. Here's for much of the same !!

35 minutes ago, OldlandReddies said:

Bentley needed a new challenge after the season Brentford had last year. Class is permanent. I'm sure he will prove to be a top signing. Let's face it, none of us knew anything about Rowe or Sammie before they were signed. That said you can already see that Rowe will be an invaluable utility player and being left footed is a further bonus. Sammie looked the business on you tube and I am happy to say looks even better in the skin. He is going to be a real star who even after two pre season games looks a cert to start on Aug 3rd. Rene has surpassed my expectations in the two games as well. He looks as though he can challenge the other two keepers for the number 1 spot which can only be good news. All of them seem to have gelled really quickly. The last time we signed this many and they immediately clicked, we walked the League. Here's for much of the same !!

Some of us watch the other leagues too.  Also, We were very interested in Rowe in 14/15 when he went to Wolves.  Been a good technical player for years floating between Champ and League One (Lg1 predominantly).  Szmodics less so, but as a midfielder he’s got 10+ the last two seasons, so featured a lot in EFL Quest highlights.

5 hours ago, OldlandReddies said:

The last time we signed this many and they immediately clicked, we walked the League. Here's for much of the same !!

Also the last time we had a long haul training camp. I firmly believe the Botswana tour set us up nicely for the season we had. Here's for much the same from this trip.

3 hours ago, Up The City! said:

Also the last time we had a long haul training camp. I firmly believe the Botswana tour set us up nicely for the season we had. Here's for much the same from this trip.

I wish they could do Botswana again. It seemed that the Football was secondary to a lot of the community work they did (from memory!) which seemed to really pull the squad together. Look at that team now, they all still go to each other’s weddings etc and holiday together. I think that togetherness, in part,  stems from that trip. 

1 hour ago, CyderInACan said:

I wish they could do Botswana again. It seemed that the Football was secondary to a lot of the community work they did (from memory!) which seemed to really pull the squad together. Look at that team now, they all still go to each other’s weddings etc and holiday together. I think that togetherness, in part,  stems from that trip. 

@CyderInACanA bit like us from Smurfs wedding. All dressed as Leprechauns. ?

Archived