IGNORED

Fly Tipping

City Cat

Cant be bothered to go to the local tip, yet can be bothered to dump this down an obscure lane. Makes me sick.

Theres an alleyway round the corner from me, and I'm forever seeing dumped mattresses/sofas/coffee tables etc and especially bin bags that then get ripped open by the local fox wildlife.

On 08/07/2019 at 23:44, ziderheadarmy said:

Always amazes me with how open and assessable council tips are. Plus the risk of getting caught with cctv etc.

That’s the problem though - they are much much tighter now. In North Somerset you cant even go in one in a private van. It’s no surprise that since they’ve clamped down on what they must assume is commercial waste that we see much more fly tipping 

2 hours ago, TomF said:

That’s the problem though - they are much much tighter now. In North Somerset you cant even go in one in a private van. It’s no surprise that since they’ve clamped down on what they must assume is commercial waste that we see much more fly tipping 

This.

When I was moving a couple of years ago, I had massive problems at the tip as they’d only let vans in on certain days and you had to get a permit. As I was hiring a van, it was impossible for me to know the registration number to get the permit.

I ended up borrowing a letter from my uncle in Yate and pretended to be him at Mangotsfield tip - they let vans in but you had to prove you were from S Glos.

I don’t in any way condone fly tipping but the councils really need to make it easier to dispose of things.

I had a big up-and-down with Devon County Council over them saying one of those small table-top beer fridges that you can get from Argos was commercial waste because it was Guinness branded! They backed down and took it in the end - mainly because I said I`d dump it in a lay-by (I wouldn`t have) if they didn`t.

Perhaps a mandatory resident housing permit for everyone in the country.

Permits are per household. I know this would cost the government money but maybe only allowing 2 resident permit dumpings per month for white goods/sofas/coffee tables, and permits are checked by driver licence ID for those living in the household. Sure this itself could be open to some abuse, but surely, common sense would prevail that someone turning up with 5 fridge freezers and 3 sofas would be commercial waste.

It would at least cut the fly tipping down. Or is this a bad/too simple idea?

16 hours ago, BS2 Red said:

This.

When I was moving a couple of years ago, I had massive problems at the tip as they’d only let vans in on certain days and you had to get a permit. As I was hiring a van, it was impossible for me to know the registration number to get the permit.

I ended up borrowing a letter from my uncle in Yate and pretended to be him at Mangotsfield tip - they let vans in but you had to prove you were from S Glos.

I don’t in any way condone fly tipping but the councils really need to make it easier to dispose of things.

I had a similar experience.

Avonmouth RC now only allow van tipping 3 days a week and a van permit only allows 1 tip a month couple that with them changing the days to suit it makes it difficult. It was only domestic waste in the black bags as the bin the Council supply us now is half the size. I actually drove down in the (astra) van with 4 bags (had a party so excess) and they refused entry even with a valid permit. Drove all the way home collected another 4 bags from the bin put them in the wifes car and went back down, no issues...……….crazy and the amount of waste fly tipped in the stream running down Kings Weston Lane proves it.

Don’t some council charge now, Bath maybe, and people have been coming over to Bristol to take their rubbish to tips as they are free, that’s if they bother to actually go to a tip. The tip nearest me, St Phillips, asks for ID that you are a Bristol resident sometimes.

Years ago when I worked in the Netherlands one summer I stayed with some friends and got to know their rubbish collecting system. Recycling wasn’t a big thing then as people didn’t seem to waste so much back then, fridges and tv’s for example would be repaired not thrown after a couple of years. But the Dutch had a great system, each street or block of houses had a couple of skips delivered once a month for them to share. Anyone could dump unwanted stuff (apart from the normal household waste) but the skips were only there for one night. Funny thing was as fast as someone was putting something in someone else would be taking it out and going back home with it. A kind of swop shop one mans junk is another mans treasure type set up. All parties were happy, I saw no fighting or bad feeling just everyone happy and helping eachother, very Dutch. The skips were removed the next day and so there was no mess etc, if you missed your chance to add to the skip there would be another opportunity a month later.

No doubt although the idea is good there would be some factions to spoil it working over here, in this day and age anyway. People would probably be fighting over stuff to sell at car boot sales and the like. 

8 minutes ago, RedM said:

Don’t some council charge now, Bath maybe, and people have been coming over to Bristol to take their rubbish to tips as they are free, that’s if they bother to actually go to a tip. The tip nearest me, St Phillips, asks for ID that you are a Bristol resident sometimes.

Years ago when I worked in the Netherlands one summer I stayed with some friends and got to know their rubbish collecting system. Recycling wasn’t a big thing then as people didn’t seem to waste so much back then, fridges and tv’s for example would be repaired not thrown after a couple of years. But the Dutch had a great system, each street or block of houses had a couple of skips delivered once a month for them to share. Anyone could dump unwanted stuff (apart from the normal household waste) but the skips were only there for one night. Funny thing was as fast as someone was putting something in someone else would be taking it out and going back home with it. A kind of swop shop one mans junk is another mans treasure type set up. All parties were happy, I saw no fighting or bad feeling just everyone happy and helping eachother, very Dutch. The skips were removed the next day and so there was no mess etc, if you missed your chance to add to the skip there would be another opportunity a month later.

No doubt although the idea is good there would be some factions to spoil it working over here, in this day and age anyway. People would probably be fighting over stuff to sell at car boot sales and the like. 

Sounds like a great system but your last sentence is all too true. Facebook marketplace would crash with demand. 

I go to the tip maybe once a year tops (St Phillips also). When I last moved out I had so much stuff to get rid of I borrowed my mates Ford Ranger and piled the stuff on the back of there as unfortunately, my little car just isn't up to that. Got to the tip and was refused entry as it's technically a 'pick-up truck' which isn't allowed. 

I therefore had the pleasure of moving into my new place with all my old broken down rubbish as I had to get my mates 'truck' back to him the same afternoon. It all ended up at the tip eventually over 5 or 6 visits in my car over the days that followed which makes it all the more frustrating. It didn't and wouldn't ever cross my mind but it doesn't surprise me that some just dump it where they fancy. 

On ‎11‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 14:54, TomF said:

Can councils not understand that it costs more to collect waste from laybys/etc? whether its commercial "van" waste or not; it will all go to the tip anyway so why not let everyone use the tips for free and you will see fly tipping drop. We all pay our council taxes so open the tips to all vans. :dunno:

2 hours ago, glos old boy said:

Can councils not understand that it costs more to collect waste from laybys/etc? whether its commercial "van" waste or not; it will all go to the tip anyway so why not let everyone use the tips for free and you will see fly tipping drop. We all pay our council taxes so open the tips to all vans. :dunno:

It does seem like an error of judgement on the part of our local council. Not only have they started to charge they’ve also reduced the opening days in an attempt to reduce their costs. They quite rightly blame the government ‘austerity’ strategy, but all  that does is to encourage people to fly tip.............cutting off your nose to spite your face springs to mind......

Garden waste collection is an extra charge to collect green waste bins in Gloucester on top of Council Tax; reduced opening hrs mean bigger queues at tip so no wonder so much gets chucked over the hedge down the lane.

The tip is now just about full and not just with Glos waste; a new incinerator that will burn waste and generate electricity, is just about complete but those extinction "people" are going to try to stop it opening, may I ask what the hell do we do with the millions of tonnes of waste then? bury it in another hole for someone else to worry about? :gaah:

9 hours ago, glos old boy said:

Garden waste collection is an extra charge to collect green waste bins in Gloucester on top of Council Tax; reduced opening hrs mean bigger queues at tip so no wonder so much gets chucked over the hedge down the lane.

The tip is now just about full and not just with Glos waste; a new incinerator that will burn waste and generate electricity, is just about complete but those extinction "people" are going to try to stop it opening, may I ask what the hell do we do with the millions of tonnes of waste then? bury it in another hole for someone else to worry about? :gaah:

Get general waste/ glass and paper and garden waste bins for no additional cost (B-o-T).

On ‎08‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 23:18, City Cat said:

Totally dismayed today to see this on a walk near Abbots Pool (bridal way off Weir Lane, Abbots Leigh) Starting to lose my faith in humanity.....

Screenshot_20190708-231811.png

Councils are making it difficult to near impossible for a man in a van to take it to a tip, it seems they would much rather spend our money paying others to collect dumped stuff.

While no doubt there would still be some dumping it would ease greatly if they opened the tips to all vans/pickups:dunno:

2 hours ago, Midred said:

Mansfield now charge £10 per item for any out of the ordinary collection, mattress, chair, carpet etc.

Bristol charges for bulky waste, eg fridges, furniture etc. All items must be less than 6 foot. 

one to three items: £25

four to six items: £50

And yes for garden waste it’s a one off charge for a green bin then an annual charge. Think it was around £50 the first year then £36 ish after that, collected every two weeks. Amazing how councils vary in what they collect and what they do for free.

Don't get me going on the government's joined up message about recycling where every council collects different waste items. If you have something hazardous like an empty paint tin then that's supposed to go to the regional point 30 miles away!

Archived