IGNORED

S82, atmosphere and membership

Redcliffe1990

5 minutes ago, lenred said:

No offence but you shouldn’t need to be a member of a club to sing and shout support for your team. There’s plenty of us outside of S82 that do as well. 

However expanding a larger, or encouraging newer groups would encourage those who may feel detached.

1 minute ago, Riaz said:

True. But S82 are all together as a group, which make them create an atmosphere. Those who shout support in the rest of the ground are scattered around the rest of the ground, so therefore unable to create much of an atmosphere

Can see both sides.  I’m in the middle of the south stand and many a time chants started there reverberate around the ground. As much as I appreciate the S82 and all they do and the effort that certain members go to, they are not the sole purveyors of sound in the ground. 

IMO there shouldn’t be an area of the ground called ‘singing section’ as I believe this discourages others from joining in (I previously sat in the Dolman where anything more than polite applause was frowned upon). But seriously, anyone in any part of the ground should feel free to sing, shout and generally let off as much steam as possible. The section of AG with the tightest security and stewarding is s25 - s27, not to keep the noisy lot from getting out, but to stop overcrowding from others trying to get in. Anyone seeing this on tv must think it’s the away fans. It’s usual practice to have to show your card 3 times whilst trying to negotiate your way through tighter security than checkpoint Charlie (trust me I’ve done both). Unfortunately until this section is moved/improved either by rail seating or expanding it will be difficult to improve on the good work that has already been done.

5 hours ago, Carey 6 said:

Really? Almost every game last season it was packed where I stand, a lot more in the rows than there should've been. Seems to sell out quickly for cup games as well I find. 

I would even go as far to say that some times last season it was even unsafe there was that many people in there. Where i stand there was 2/3 to a seat sometimes last season.

With that being said i don't think it needs to be expanded!! The problem is that you have a load of people in there simply because it's one of the cheapest parts of the ground and it's just easier to renew season on season then change seats. Near me there is 4 guys who i dont think ive ever even seen a COYRsssss come out their mouths. Which is there choice i guess but it begs the question why sit in this section of the ground when those 4 seats could be used by some of the people who sneak into that section week in week out.

1 hour ago, Pieman said:

IMO there shouldn’t be an area of the ground called ‘singing section’ as I believe this discourages others from joining in.............

In reality it’s a standing section but the club can’t call it that as standing isn’t allowed. Hence it’s called a “singing section”

6 hours ago, Carey 6 said:

Really? Almost every game last season it was packed where I stand, a lot more in the rows than there should've been. Seems to sell out quickly for cup games as well I find. 

It looked sparse on many occasions last season .... personally I think linking a fans’ group to the darkest hour in our history wasn’t the best idea - Section 94, Section 09 or Section 76 would at least celebrate happy and successful times, but what do I know...

21 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

It looked sparse on many occasions last season .... personally I think linking a fans’ group to the darkest hour in our history wasn’t the best idea - Section 94, Section 09 or Section 76 would at least celebrate happy and successful times, but what do I know...

Or the complete opposite, why not celebrate that we survived as a club and have got a lot better since?

10 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Good shout that, "A" Block Dolman was the upper part of E34 IIRC in old money.

Question is how many ST Holders etc, how many might already otoh be inclined for s82. Could be a goer though!

From the outside looking in on the subject that was my first thought when the club announced the discounts for Dolman Block A (old school) that area swinging in full flow would hugely add to the atmosphere and compliment the existing S82

13 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

12 hours ago, AshtonPark said:

Or the complete opposite, why not celebrate that we survived as a club and have got a lot better since?

Ashton Park is right. The Gas thrive on our failures. Good name to celebrate survival and how we've eclipsed them since.

I feel I should probably interject in this thread and give some factual, historical content - since I was the one who actually coined the name “Section 82”. 

So, back during the redevelopment when the East End season ticketers were moved to the Williams for onward manoeuvres to the Atyeo, the club labelled it as a “singing section”, which we didn’t really want it known as (anyone can sing wherever they sit, so we didn’t want to be known as a “singing” section as such). 

So a few of us threw some ideas around about naming the area / group, in a similar fashion to the Vak E at Willem, or of course various others worldwide such as Gate 13, Sektor 15 etc. 

Initial ideas centered around 1894, or maybe even incorporating an 8, in respect of the AG8. However, where we were moving to the Atyeo, there was already an AG8 plaque, so we thought that was already done. I then suggested Section 82. My reasoning was thus:

1982 is a hugely significant and symbolic year for our football club. It is a year which should never be forgotten and never be downplayed. 

82 was also something which those sad blue fucko’s thought they had something over us, which of course they didn’t. So I felt that maybe we should reclaim the phrase ‘82’ from their shit-for-brains hollow skulls. 

I also then discovered that Section 82 within environmental law was around noise / nuisance, so that seemed apt in so far as we wanted to make as much noise as we could and of course we were already being a bit of a nuisance to the club at that time (what with trying to get allowance for flags, standing etc). 

So for those reasons, and after discussion amongst a group of us (around 20 or so people on a facebook messenger group), it was agreed that the majority were happy to go with it. 

And so it was done. Section 82 began and we then spent the next year or more trying to get the name out there, flags were made and flown with the name, stickers were produced, all to get as much exposure as possible and get the fan base familiar with the name. 

What I would make absolutely clear is that ‘Section 82’ is not an exclusive group, does not require a “membership” or any such thing. Section 82 is of course the name the group have adopted but it is essentially the name for the area (the ‘singing section’ as others would call it, but I know as the ‘unreserved seating area’). 

Everyone in that area is a part of Section 82. There’s no exclusive club. The guys who spend hours on flags and banners and displays are of course the visual manifestation of Section 82, but everyone is welcome and anyone in the ground can sing a song whenever they please. There’s no exclusivity, no ‘boys club’ and I would hope no sense of arrogance or entitlement amongst the group. 

For what it’s worth, I took a backseat on it all this season as I live too far away now to get down early to help displays, and next season I’m moving up to the family stand with my 5 year old daughters first season ticket. So I’m no longer ‘involved’ in it per se. Anyone who wants to get involved in flags/displays can do so. Anyone who wants to sing a song can do so wherever they are, and those within the unreserved area are, for me, standing in ‘Section 82’. 

So there’s the history. Straight from the horses mouth. 

7 minutes ago, Harry said:

I feel I should probably interject in this thread and give some factual, historical content - since I was the one who actually coined the name “Section 82”. 

So, back during the redevelopment when the East End season ticketers were moved to the Williams for onward manoeuvres to the Atyeo, the club labelled it as a “singing section”, which we didn’t really want it known as (anyone can sing wherever they sit, so we didn’t want to be known as a “singing” section as such). 

So a few of us threw some ideas around about naming the area / group, in a similar fashion to the Vak E at Willem, or of course various others worldwide such as Gate 13, Sektor 15 etc. 

Initial ideas centered around 1894, or maybe even incorporating an 8, in respect of the AG8. However, where we were moving to the Atyeo, there was already an AG8 plaque, so we thought that was already done. I then suggested Section 82. My reasoning was thus:

1982 is a hugely significant and symbolic year for our football club. It is a year which should never be forgotten and never be downplayed. 

82 was also something which those sad blue fucko’s thought they had something over us, which of course they didn’t. So I felt that maybe we should reclaim the phrase ‘82’ from their shit-for-brains hollow skulls. 

I also then discovered that Section 82 within environmental law was around noise / nuisance, so that seemed apt in so far as we wanted to make as much noise as we could and of course we were already being a bit of a nuisance to the club at that time (what with trying to get allowance for flags, standing etc). 

So for those reasons, and after discussion amongst a group of us (around 20 or so people on a facebook messenger group), it was agreed that the majority were happy to go with it. 

And so it was done. Section 82 began and we then spent the next year or more trying to get the name out there, flags were made and flown with the name, stickers were produced, all to get as much exposure as possible and get the fan base familiar with the name. 

What I would make absolutely clear is that ‘Section 82’ is not an exclusive group, does not require a “membership” or any such thing. Section 82 is of course the name the group have adopted but it is essentially the name for the area (the ‘singing section’ as others would call it, but I know as the ‘unreserved seating area’). 

Everyone in that area is a part of Section 82. There’s no exclusive club. The guys who spend hours on flags and banners and displays are of course the visual manifestation of Section 82, but everyone is welcome and anyone in the ground can sing a song whenever they please. There’s no exclusivity, no ‘boys club’ and I would hope no sense of arrogance or entitlement amongst the group. 

For what it’s worth, I took a backseat on it all this season as I live too far away now to get down early to help displays, and next season I’m moving up to the family stand with my 5 year old daughters first season ticket. So I’m no longer ‘involved’ in it per se. Anyone who wants to get involved in flags/displays can do so. Anyone who wants to sing a song can do so wherever they are, and those within the unreserved area are, for me, standing in ‘Section 82’. 

Slim.

Sounds exactly the same as being a member of the Barmy Army.

Which seems double sound to me.

In other news, can't believe Sarah agreed to your family stand plan!

7 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Slim.

Sounds exactly the same as being a member of the Barmy Army.

Which seems double sound to me.

In other news, can't believe Sarah agreed to your family stand plan!

Ha ha. Yep, well with the 2nd arrival, getting one of the kids out of Sarah’s hair for an afternoon was most agreeable with her. 

4 minutes ago, Harry said:

Ha ha. Yep, well with the 2nd arrival, getting one of the kids out of Sarah’s hair for an afternoon was most agreeable with her. 

I'll wager that two thirds of the time, the second ticket doesn't get used and you 'end up' in the South Stand!

On 09/07/2019 at 13:40, Riaz said:

I'd like to see section 82 given another block. Its sold out and popular. It also gets the ground going and a bigger section 82, can only be good.

All for expansion.

Although I can't count on one hand how many times it got my part of the ground going last season.

Far too many ultra songs are sung and not enough Bristol City songs. 

In fact I'd say you sometimes have the opposite effect to what you intend. Sometimes there will be a corner, the SS start to take voice with a traditional BC song and then the drummer and s82 start singing a ultra type song. Totally kills any atmosphere in other stands.

Just something for you to think about. 

4 hours ago, Harry said:

I quite liked the EastEnder's name tbh. 

Kind of felt like you erased a huge part of our history by rebranding to something that in all honesty sounds quite generic.

4 hours ago, Up The City! said:

All for expansion.

Although I can't count on one hand how many times it got my part of the ground going last season.

Far too many ultra songs are sung and not enough Bristol City songs. 

In fact I'd say you sometimes have the opposite effect to what you intend. Sometimes there will be a corner, the SS start to take voice with a traditional BC song and then the drummer and s82 start singing a ultra type song. Totally kills any atmosphere in other stands.

Just something for you to think about. 

Kind of felt like you erased a huge part of our history by rebranding to something that in all honesty sounds quite generic.

I stand at the back of the block closest the dolman, and I can count on one hand the amount of times I heard other stands last season.

This isn’t a “no one sings in other stands” as that’s complete rubbish, they obviously do,  but have you thought they might not be able to hear the other stands? I stand nowhere near the drum and I can’t hear other stands, noise doesn’t travel well.

What traditional songs do you mean? We hardly have anything unique, I’m guessing you mean songs like “come on you reds” etc which is generic in itself. 

A lot of the younger generation don’t “like” singing the older songs, that’s just a progression football has taken not just at our club but a lot of others. I imagine it was the same 30 years ago,  fast forward another 30 years and people will be saying the same again. 

5 hours ago, Up The City! said:

At the time we were being moved to the North West corner of the ground, so Eastenders didn’t seem relevant, plus there were no signs that we’d be returning to the ‘traditional’ east end at that time. 

I also recall there being a very divisive feeling amongst a lot of the fan base - there were many many arguments around at that time about an ‘us and them’ attitude - I’m not saying there was, but I saw lots of others saying so. Therefore it was also felt at the time that something new needed to be established. Under the same philosophy as the ‘Forza Eastend’ movement but with a new identity. 

But again, it’s just a name and the ‘eastend’ identity is still there and so are the songs. 

Archived