Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

EnderMB

Coming out as homosexual in the Championship

Recommended Posts

They were saying next week.

Will be a good thing to breach , and let’s just get on with the game 

 

FWIW I wouldn’t be shocked if it was one of ours , not that it matters one cahoot

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, EnderMB said:

A few journalists have backed this up as being legitimate, so it's very likely that in the coming weeks a footballer currently playing in the Championship will come out as gay.

While I think people in 2019 are more progressive than before, I still worry for this poor guy. There are a lot of people out there that will openly abuse him, and if the BBC poll from a few years back is any indication, there may be some fans that choose to stop watching their team because one of their players is gay.

I'd like to think Bristol City fans are different, though. If one of our players were to come out, I hope he gets full support from the fans and his fellow players.

Hope so, don't want "fans" like that supporting mine or any other clubs.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, EnderMB said:

A few journalists have backed this up as being legitimate, so it's very likely that in the coming weeks a footballer currently playing in the Championship will come out as gay.

While I think people in 2019 are more progressive than before, I still worry for this poor guy. There are a lot of people out there that will openly abuse him, and if the BBC poll from a few years back is any indication, there may be some fans that choose to stop watching their team because one of their players is gay.

I'd like to think Bristol City fans are different, though. If one of our players were to come out, I hope he gets full support from the fans and his fellow players.

I'd be as disappointed to hear any player being abused for their sexuality as I would be for their race, religion or any other part of their DNA. 

  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

They were saying next week.

Will be a good thing to breach , and let’s just get on with the game 

 

FWIW I wouldn’t be shocked if it was one of ours , not that it matters one cahoot

In some ways, I feel this would be the best outcome, and it's pretty much why it was said on TalkSPORT that this is a very clever way to do this.

At the moment, the account is anonymous, so the initial discussion is around who it could be, and is all about support, wherever this person is playing. Once the announcement is actually made, there is less noise around the subject and while the support will continue to pour in, I think the player and the club will be hoping to focus on their work.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, EnderMB said:

A few journalists have backed this up as being legitimate, so it's very likely that in the coming weeks a footballer currently playing in the Championship will come out as gay.

At first I read that as gas - which would be completely unacceptable, obviously. . . 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It about time that a gay footballer came out. I’m not sure what the statics are but there must be many that remain ‘ in the closet are it’s understandable why they might be afraid to come out. Not just team mates but supporters, particularly away supporters may react negatively.

Whoever it is deserves much credit for his courage  as does Gareth Thomas and Nigel Owens in the macho world of rugby who both came out.

Im sure that in today’s world of equality and acceptance that once the initial revelation take place the story would be forgotten pretty soon.

I have a vague suspicion that it could be one of our former players.

Edited by Robbored

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He does follow the official City twitter account but I expect he follows a few champ clubs on Twitter. All we know is he's an U23 and plays for a Champ club. 

In this day and age, people shouldn't have to announce their sexuality to the world. But sadly, some backwards 1950s idiots still make a gay person feel inadequate and unaccepted. I only hope that more gay sportspersons are supported by this person's bravery and feel they too will be accepted, as they should be. Eventually, those homophobic morons who want to live in their bigoted world, will become far fewer.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Robbored said:

It about time that a gay footballer came out.

I’m sure plenty have, to their friends and family, like they would doing any other job. The media don’t seem interested in gay bin men, or bartenders, or postmen though as it doesn’t sell papers.  

I’d be gobsmacked if there aren’t already several footballers who’s sexuality is known amongst their colleagues but not in the wider media. 

Edited by BRISTOL86

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Robbored said:

It about time that a gay footballer came out. I’m not sure what the statics are but there must be many that remain ‘ in the closet are it’s understandable why they might be afraid to come out. Not just team mates but supporters, particularly away supporters may react negatively.

Whoever it is deserves much credit for his courage  as does Gareth Thomas and Nigel Owens in the macho world of rugby who both came out.

Im sure that in today’s world of equality and acceptance that once the initial revelation take place the story would be forgotten pretty soon.

I have a vague suspicion that it could be one of our former players.

I'm not sure what their choice in caravans has to do with it!? 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Ska Junkie said:

I really don't get the 'big deal' here TBH. I go to football to watch the football, not worry about the sexuality of individuals.

While I wish the 'gay footballer' well, I genuinely couldn't give a monkeys.

I apologise if that's not PC but why the pullava?  He's gay, right, let's get on with the football. 

Spot on !

I have no interest who is sleeping with men, women, nobody etc

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why does he need to tell his club? I don't see what's the point or need? It shouldn't be a big deal. 

People's sexual preferences has no place in football and it shouldn't have any effect on the game what so ever. 

I just don't care what a footballer's sexuality is, I wish other people thought the same way. I'd say the same for religion or cultural background. 

 

 

 

Edited by Sturny
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, phantom said:

I was surprised how many of our England team are lesbians, is it easier to "come out" in the womens game compared to the mens?

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/9251709/england-lionesses-partners-womens-world-cup/

Probably down to how little overall media coverage there is of the women's game comparatively. 

I strongly suspect that if you asked any gay footballer what has prevented them coming out, the media reaction / coverage that would come with it would be much higher than the reaction of the public / their colleagues. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, phantom said:

I was surprised how many of our England team are lesbians, is it easier to "come out" in the womens game compared to the mens?

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/9251709/england-lionesses-partners-womens-world-cup/

Massively. A lot more of a placid (and female orientated) crowd. Less testosterone, old school beliefs and intimidation. 

1 minute ago, Sturny said:

Why does he need to tell his club? I don't see what's the point or need? It shouldn't be a big deal. 

Because it's going to be big news, and he wants to ensure he has the support of his club.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did a bit of research into this and found that around 5 - 7% of the world's population are homosexual or have homosexual tendencies.  This would suggest at least one in every teams squad, so not as uncommon as I thought.

Each and every one to there own I suppose and it doesn't really bother me except when it is flaunted.

  • Confused 1
  • Aubergine 1
  • Hedgehog 1
  • Rovers 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, wendyredredrobin said:

I did a bit of research into this and found that around 5 - 7% of the world's population are homosexual or have homosexual tendencies.  This would suggest at least one in every teams squad, so not as uncommon as I thought.

Each and every one to there own I suppose and it doesn't really bother me except when it is flaunted.

Like getting off with your teammates when you score, that sort of thing? 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Sturny said:

Why does he need to tell his club? I don't see what's the point or need? It shouldn't be a big deal. 

People's sexual preferences has no place in football and it shouldn't have any effect on the game what so ever. 

I just don't care what a footballer's sexuality is, I wish other people thought the same way. 

Many do feel the same way including me but unfortunately there are a minority who don’t share that view and it’s that minority that holds back gay players from coming out.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dont see the need to make it a big issue.

I care what city players do on the pitch. Not who they share a bed with. Could'nt care less.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Each and every one to there own I suppose and it doesn't really bother me except when it is flaunted.

Why would this bother you? What do you regard as "flaunting"? 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Selred said:

Because it's going to be big news, and he wants to ensure he has the support of his club.

I don't see why Selred, I really don't. To me it sounds like an excuse for a book deal and £££££. I genuinely don't get the 'big news' bit although, I'm sure you're right due to the now inevitable media circus.Why not just get on with being a footballer. By bringing this to the media's attention, hasn't the gay footballer made it harder for others rather than easier?

One of my nephews is gay, he told the family and we got on with life. No big deal. Why should it be any different for a footballer?

Edited by Ska Junkie
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd be delighted if it's one of our team and sure the club and fans would give him our full support. It's about time this taboo got broken in football. Good luck to the player, whoever it may be!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Many do feel the same way including me but unfortunately there are a minority who don’t share that view and it’s that minority that holds back gay players from coming out.

Is it though? That minority exists in any industry but it doesn’t stop people coming out. 

The media are to blame IMO for making an enormous issue out of something that the 99% don’t give two hoots about. 

Edited by BRISTOL86
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Probably down to how little overall media coverage there is of the women's game comparatively. 

I strongly suspect that if you asked any gay footballer what has prevented them coming out, the media reaction / coverage that would come with it would be much higher than the reaction of the public / their colleagues. 

And yet the irony that this is being run as an extremely well oiled PR campaign. 

I don't mean to take anything away from the individual, but they certainly can't have been intimidated by the reaction because they are courting it. This is something I find with unease; just get on and do it and realise you're tomorrow's chip paper because no-one really gives a hoot.

Yes it will be a great thing and I look forward to putting to bed this connotation that football fans are less accepting, and sure fair play to the individual concerned - a brave lad who hopefully looks back and realises no bravery was actually needed - but the fanfare is a bit self-promoting to say the least. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, richwwtk said:

Because the media are scum

I agree but the gay footballer is using the media and that's the bit I don't get. He's going to make it much worse for any other players thinking of doing the same isn't he by using the media circus?

I really don't get his motivation unless it's financial gain.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, 29AR said:

And yet the irony that this is being run as an extremely well oiled PR campaign. 

I don't mean to take anything away from the individual, but they certainly can't have been intimidated by the reaction because they are courting it. This is something I find with unease; just get on and do it and realise you're tomorrow's chip paper because no-one really gives a hoot.

Yes it will be a great thing and I look forward to putting to bed this connotation that football fans are less accepting, and sure fair play to the individual concerned - a brave lad who hopefully looks back and realises no bravery was actually needed - but the fanfare is a bit self-promoting to say the least. 

I guess the difference here is that at least the individual is the one dictating the direction of the ‘story’ rather than some scumbag rag ‘exposing’ someone who didn’t want to have their sexuality revealed in the first place. 

It does feel that for the last few years the red tops have been desperate to be the one to ‘bag’ the exposing of a gay footballer. 

Edited by BRISTOL86

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ska Junkie said:

I agree but the gay footballer is using the media and that's the bit I don't get. He's going to make it much worse for any other players thinking of doing the same isn't he by using the media circus?

I really don't get his motivation unless it's financial gain.

Or, he knows the media will be all over it regardless and is trying to do it on his own terms.

I can't think there's any ulterior motive behind it at all.

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I fear there will be a few idiots who engage in derogatory chants but hopefully the player will find comfort in that the gauntlet he runs will make it easier for those who follow him.

Hopefully the majority of fans will support him. As others have said, there must be gay players in the game and they should have the right not to hide who they are. People sometimes question why gay people need to come out at all but nobody should feel unable to talk about or be seen out and about with the person they love.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

I agree but the gay footballer is using the media and that's the bit I don't get. He's going to make it much worse for any other players thinking of doing the same isn't he by using the media circus?

I really don't get his motivation unless it's financial gain.

I kind of do.

Like it or not, this is a huge story (it shouldn’t be), and now he’s out to family and close friends (assumedly), his preferences will be known. It only takes one person to blab to the media and they’ll out him. It’s far better for him to manage it in a controlled way - put it this way, the press will be all over it. Better that’s with them on his side then doing it in a way which causes him stress when he’s just done what must have been a very hard thing.

Edited by Silvio Dante
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well anyone chanting derogatory things should  be aware that would be construed as a hate crime,hefty fine and a banning order me thinks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

I don't see why Selred, I really don't. To me it sounds like an excuse for a book deal and £££££. I genuinely don't get the 'big news' bit although, I'm sure you're right due to the now inevitable media circus.Why not just get on with being a footballer. By bringing this to the media's attention, hasn't the gay footballer made it harder for others rather than easier?

One of my nephews is gay, he told the family and we got on with life. No big deal. Why should it be any different for a footballer?

There hasn't been an openly gay professional in Britain since Fashanu. It will be big news. The media will make it big news. 

And to be honest, it being big news isn't a bad thing. Hopefully it'll inspire many others to come out, many young people to understand it's okay to be gay. 

It's about destroying the stigma, and you cannot deny there isn't one. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

I really don't get the 'big deal' here TBH. I go to football to watch the football, not worry about the sexuality of individuals.

While I wish the 'gay footballer' well, I genuinely couldn't give a monkeys.

I apologise if that's not PC but why the pullava?  He's gay, right, let's get on with the football. 

I think the issue is as much about team mates. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Selred said:

There hasn't been an openly gay professional in Britain since Fashanu. It will be big news. The media will make it big news. 

And to be honest, it being big news isn't a bad thing. Hopefully it'll inspire many others to come out, many young people to understand it's okay to be gay. 

It's about destroying the stigma, and you cannot deny there isn't one. 

I suppose my disdain has more to do with society TBH Selred, rather than football.  The fact that a bloke is gay, shouldn't be newsworthy IMHO, far from it TBH.

 

2 minutes ago, Selred said:

There hasn't been an openly gay professional in Britain since Fashanu. It will be big news. The media will make it big news. 

And to be honest, it being big news isn't a bad thing. Hopefully it'll inspire many others to come out, many young people to understand it's okay to be gay. 

It's about destroying the stigma, and you cannot deny there isn't one. 

Will it inspire or terrify though? I would suggest any professional sportsman with the same dilemma would be put off by the forthcoming reaction rather than inspired but that's just my opinion.

Did the diver from Plymouth get hammered when he came out? I can't remember.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, EnderMB said:

A few journalists have backed this up as being legitimate, so it's very likely that in the coming weeks a footballer currently playing in the Championship will come out as gay.

While I think people in 2019 are more progressive than before, I still worry for this poor guy. There are a lot of people out there that will openly abuse him, and if the BBC poll from a few years back is any indication, there may be some fans that choose to stop watching their team because one of their players is gay.

I'd like to think Bristol City fans are different, though. If one of our players were to come out, I hope he gets full support from the fans and his fellow players.

It's interesting that there are plenty of openly gay female footballers and no one gives a hoot about that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Ska Junkie said:

I suppose my disdain has more to do with society TBH Selred, rather than football.  The fact that a bloke is gay, shouldn't be newsworthy IMHO, far from it TBH.

 

Will it inspire or terrify though? I would suggest any professional sportsman with the same dilemma would be put off by the forthcoming reaction rather than inspired but that's just my opinion.

Did the diver from Plymouth get hammered when he came out? I can't remember.

Totally agree, it shouldn't be newsworthy.

We have had 30 odd years with gay footballers not being able to live their lives in public. That is terrifying. 

Knowing you aren't, and won't be, the only gay footballer and making gay footballers a common thing, can only help. 

Yes Daley got a lot of abuse. And that show's how awful society is. And the only way to challenge this is to stand up, to be proud and beat the haters. Not live your life in silence. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Selred said:

There hasn't been an openly gay professional in Britain since Fashanu. It will be big news. The media will make it big news. 

And to be honest, it being big news isn't a bad thing. Hopefully it'll inspire many others to come out, many young people to understand it's okay to be gay. 

It's about destroying the stigma, and you cannot deny there isn't one. 

I think the bigness of the news will be directly proportionate to the bigness of the player and the club. I’m not sure, say, if it was a (for example) Joe Morrell it will be anything other than an inside story and a small follow up. However, if it was (for example), an Adam Webster it’d be bigger news. If it was one of our players, the biggest publicity would be for Kalas/Weimann as ex premier league with national name recognition.

The long and short of that is that the media will be all over it, but they’d only stop their hunting for another player to out when they felt that a big enough name had come out. That’s why Gareth Thomas was huge - there was nowhere to go for the media in rugby post him 

Sad, but how the media work

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Selred said:

Totally agree, it shouldn't be newsworthy.

We have had 30 odd years with gay footballers not being able to live their lives in public. That is terrifying. 

Knowing you aren't, and won't be, the only gay footballer and making gay footballers a common thing, can only help. 

Yes Daley got a lot of abuse. And that show's how awful society is. And the only way to challenge this is to stand up, to be proud and beat the haters. Not live your life in silence. 

Thanks Selred, excuse my ignorance, I couldn't remember Daley's name.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Regarding the OP, city fans will certainly not be any different to other fans. He will get abuse I am sure. Maybe not every game but he will.  

There are racist city fans and there will be homophobic city fans

For those questioning why make a big deal of it and they don’t care what sexual preference footballers have...you are missing the point.  Footballers coming out will continue to normalise homosexuality. Progress needs to keep happening to make everyone see it as normal.  The more celebrities and footballers that come out the better for this end

Homosexuality is perfectly normal

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I’m not sure, say, if it was a (for example) Joe Morrell it will be anything other than an inside story and a small follow up

It's the first openly gay footballer, it will be BIG news regardless of the professional player. 

Obviously the bigger name, the better. But even if it was a league 2 kid, with 4 games under his belt, it'll still be back page, big splash.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RedDave said:

Regarding the OP, city fans will certainly not be any different to other fans. He will get abuse I am sure. Maybe not every game but he will.  

There are racist city fans and there will be homophobic city fans

For those questioning why make a big deal of it and they don’t care what sexual preference footballers have...you are missing the point.  Footballers coming out will continue to normalise homosexuality. Progress needs to keep happening to make everyone see it as normal.  The more celebrities and footballers that come out the better for this end

Homosexuality is perfectly normal

I agree with your points Dave but this media circus could make people targets again rather than normalise things, unfortunately. It really could backfire although I hope it doesn't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the plus side if he does 'come out', and Pannini release a gay footballer sticker album, you'd only have to buy one packet and have four swapsies as well.. 

 

😐

  • Hmmm 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

I agree with your points Dave but this media circus could make people targets again rather than normalise things, unfortunately. It really could backfire although I hope it doesn't.

People are already targets.  I believe there is 20 hate crimes reported per day in the UK and allegedly 80% of hate crimes go unreported on top of that number. 

I can’t see the negatives here really. The first person would be a circus anyway however it was handled.  The person accusing them of doing it for money has baffled me.

Why do you think people will react negatively ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, fishy said:

It's interesting that there are plenty of openly gay female footballers and no one gives a hoot about that.

Certain men are offended by gay men but not by lesbians. 

16 minutes ago, Selred said:

Totally agree, it shouldn't be newsworthy.

We have had 30 odd years with gay footballers not being able to live their lives in public. That is terrifying. 

Knowing you aren't, and won't be, the only gay footballer and making gay footballers a common thing, can only help. 

Yes Daley got a lot of abuse. And that show's how awful society is. And the only way to challenge this is to stand up, to be proud and beat the haters. Not live your life in silence. 

Absolutely spot on post 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...