IGNORED

Coming out as homosexual in the Championship

EnderMB

A few journalists have backed this up as being legitimate, so it's very likely that in the coming weeks a footballer currently playing in the Championship will come out as gay.

While I think people in 2019 are more progressive than before, I still worry for this poor guy. There are a lot of people out there that will openly abuse him, and if the BBC poll from a few years back is any indication, there may be some fans that choose to stop watching their team because one of their players is gay.

I'd like to think Bristol City fans are different, though. If one of our players were to come out, I hope he gets full support from the fans and his fellow players.

4 minutes ago, EnderMB said:

A few journalists have backed this up as being legitimate, so it's very likely that in the coming weeks a footballer currently playing in the Championship will come out as gay.

While I think people in 2019 are more progressive than before, I still worry for this poor guy. There are a lot of people out there that will openly abuse him, and if the BBC poll from a few years back is any indication, there may be some fans that choose to stop watching their team because one of their players is gay.

I'd like to think Bristol City fans are different, though. If one of our players were to come out, I hope he gets full support from the fans and his fellow players.

Hope so, don't want "fans" like that supporting mine or any other clubs.

3 minutes ago, EnderMB said:

I'd be as disappointed to hear any player being abused for their sexuality as I would be for their race, religion or any other part of their DNA. 

6 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

They were saying next week.

Will be a good thing to breach , and let’s just get on with the game 

FWIW I wouldn’t be shocked if it was one of ours , not that it matters one cahoot

In some ways, I feel this would be the best outcome, and it's pretty much why it was said on TalkSPORT that this is a very clever way to do this.

At the moment, the account is anonymous, so the initial discussion is around who it could be, and is all about support, wherever this person is playing. Once the announcement is actually made, there is less noise around the subject and while the support will continue to pour in, I think the player and the club will be hoping to focus on their work.

Hopefully once this is done the media can drop their misguided obsession with a footballer publicly revealing their homosexuality, and we can all get on with supporting our team irrespective of who they fancy. 

I, like 99.9% of proper football fans (I hope!) couldn’t give a rats arse who or what they sleep with - I’m a lot more interested in what they do in the shirt than out of it! This obsession with someone publicly coming out seems to be purely media driven, I’ve never met a single football fan who’s remotely interested in a player’s sexuality.

In fact until recent years when the media all of a sudden seemed obsessed with it, I’d never given it a moment’s thought. It’s as irrelevant to me as what flavour of ice cream they like or where they like to do their weekly shop. 

Fair play to the individual concerned, I’m sure he’ll be overwhelmingly supported within the industry and from the stands.

21 minutes ago, EnderMB said:

At first I read that as gas - which would be completely unacceptable, obviously. . . 

It about time that a gay footballer came out. I’m not sure what the statics are but there must be many that remain ‘ in the closet are it’s understandable why they might be afraid to come out. Not just team mates but supporters, particularly away supporters may react negatively.

Whoever it is deserves much credit for his courage  as does Gareth Thomas and Nigel Owens in the macho world of rugby who both came out.

Im sure that in today’s world of equality and acceptance that once the initial revelation take place the story would be forgotten pretty soon.

I have a vague suspicion that it could be one of our former players.

He does follow the official City twitter account but I expect he follows a few champ clubs on Twitter. All we know is he's an U23 and plays for a Champ club. 

In this day and age, people shouldn't have to announce their sexuality to the world. But sadly, some backwards 1950s idiots still make a gay person feel inadequate and unaccepted. I only hope that more gay sportspersons are supported by this person's bravery and feel they too will be accepted, as they should be. Eventually, those homophobic morons who want to live in their bigoted world, will become far fewer.

9 minutes ago, Robbored said:

It about time that a gay footballer came out.

I’m sure plenty have, to their friends and family, like they would doing any other job. The media don’t seem interested in gay bin men, or bartenders, or postmen though as it doesn’t sell papers.  

I’d be gobsmacked if there aren’t already several footballers who’s sexuality is known amongst their colleagues but not in the wider media. 

7 minutes ago, Robbored said:

It about time that a gay footballer came out. I’m not sure what the statics are but there must be many that remain ‘ in the closet are it’s understandable why they might be afraid to come out. Not just team mates but supporters, particularly away supporters may react negatively.

Whoever it is deserves much credit for his courage  as does Gareth Thomas and Nigel Owens in the macho world of rugby who both came out.

Im sure that in today’s world of equality and acceptance that once the initial revelation take place the story would be forgotten pretty soon.

I have a vague suspicion that it could be one of our former players.

I'm not sure what their choice in caravans has to do with it!? 

I really don't get the 'big deal' here TBH. I go to football to watch the football, not worry about the sexuality of individuals.

While I wish the 'gay footballer' well, I genuinely couldn't give a monkeys.

I apologise if that's not PC but why the pullava?  He's gay, right, let's get on with the football. 

• Admin
Just now, Ska Junkie said:

I really don't get the 'big deal' here TBH. I go to football to watch the football, not worry about the sexuality of individuals.

While I wish the 'gay footballer' well, I genuinely couldn't give a monkeys.

I apologise if that's not PC but why the pullava?  He's gay, right, let's get on with the football. 

Spot on !

I have no interest who is sleeping with men, women, nobody etc

Why does he need to tell his club? I don't see what's the point or need? It shouldn't be a big deal. 

People's sexual preferences has no place in football and it shouldn't have any effect on the game what so ever. 

I just don't care what a footballer's sexuality is, I wish other people thought the same way. I'd say the same for religion or cultural background. 

2 minutes ago, phantom said:

I was surprised how many of our England team are lesbians, is it easier to "come out" in the womens game compared to the mens?

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/9251709/england-lionesses-partners-womens-world-cup/

Probably down to how little overall media coverage there is of the women's game comparatively. 

I strongly suspect that if you asked any gay footballer what has prevented them coming out, the media reaction / coverage that would come with it would be much higher than the reaction of the public / their colleagues. 

4 minutes ago, phantom said:

I was surprised how many of our England team are lesbians, is it easier to "come out" in the womens game compared to the mens?

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/9251709/england-lionesses-partners-womens-world-cup/

Massively. A lot more of a placid (and female orientated) crowd. Less testosterone, old school beliefs and intimidation. 

1 minute ago, Sturny said:

Why does he need to tell his club? I don't see what's the point or need? It shouldn't be a big deal. 

Because it's going to be big news, and he wants to ensure he has the support of his club.

I did a bit of research into this and found that around 5 - 7% of the world's population are homosexual or have homosexual tendencies.  This would suggest at least one in every teams squad, so not as uncommon as I thought.

Each and every one to there own I suppose and it doesn't really bother me except when it is flaunted.

Just now, wendyredredrobin said:

I did a bit of research into this and found that around 5 - 7% of the world's population are homosexual or have homosexual tendencies.  This would suggest at least one in every teams squad, so not as uncommon as I thought.

Each and every one to there own I suppose and it doesn't really bother me except when it is flaunted.

Like getting off with your teammates when you score, that sort of thing? 

3 minutes ago, Sturny said:

People's sexual preferences has no place in football and it shouldn't have any effect on the game what so ever. 

I just don't care what a footballer's sexuality is, I wish other people thought the same way. 

Many do feel the same way including me but unfortunately there are a minority who don’t share that view and it’s that minority that holds back gay players from coming out.

7 minutes ago, Selred said:

Because it's going to be big news, and he wants to ensure he has the support of his club.

I don't see why Selred, I really don't. To me it sounds like an excuse for a book deal and £££££. I genuinely don't get the 'big news' bit although, I'm sure you're right due to the now inevitable media circus.Why not just get on with being a footballer. By bringing this to the media's attention, hasn't the gay footballer made it harder for others rather than easier?

One of my nephews is gay, he told the family and we got on with life. No big deal. Why should it be any different for a footballer?

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Many do feel the same way including me but unfortunately there are a minority who don’t share that view and it’s that minority that holds back gay players from coming out.

Is it though? That minority exists in any industry but it doesn’t stop people coming out. 

The media are to blame IMO for making an enormous issue out of something that the 99% don’t give two hoots about. 

5 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Probably down to how little overall media coverage there is of the women's game comparatively. 

I strongly suspect that if you asked any gay footballer what has prevented them coming out, the media reaction / coverage that would come with it would be much higher than the reaction of the public / their colleagues. 

And yet the irony that this is being run as an extremely well oiled PR campaign. 

I don't mean to take anything away from the individual, but they certainly can't have been intimidated by the reaction because they are courting it. This is something I find with unease; just get on and do it and realise you're tomorrow's chip paper because no-one really gives a hoot.

Yes it will be a great thing and I look forward to putting to bed this connotation that football fans are less accepting, and sure fair play to the individual concerned - a brave lad who hopefully looks back and realises no bravery was actually needed - but the fanfare is a bit self-promoting to say the least. 

Archived