IGNORED

Coming out as homosexual in the Championship

EnderMB

40 minutes ago, Pezo said:

Isn't that highlighting that the issue might be with the media and there constant sensationalisation and celebritisation of certain issues to the point where no one understands the issues any more but 1 person just saying how they live there life is somehow a noteworthy event. 

I do agree that the media very much set the agenda in selecting what qualifies as important news and what doesn't.

Once you step back and start looking at what isn't deemed newsworthy you begin to see that there is very much an agenda being pushed.

You will, for example, have heard of various human rights abuses by the Syrian government but will be totally unaware of far more horrendous abuses by the Equatorial Guinean government.

Why would this be? Possibly because the US and UK do not desire regime change in Equatorial Guinea.

1 hour ago, SteelCityRobin said:

Also 8 pages of debate show how much some of you just “don’t care”. 

There is a great deal of unnecessary virtue signalling. I would take it as read that for 99% of people posting upon OTIB, a self-selected group of people who like to have a good natured debate, it genuinely isn't an issue so I see little point in lining up to say it. I did as well so stripe me a virtue signaller.

The interesting discussion is the likely repercussions within the footballing world as it is rather  than within the footballing world as we think it should be.

The good news regarding this thread is that it doesn't seem like there would be any OTIB objection to City having an 'out' player. Everyone seems pretty cool with it. Some people probably wouldn't like it to be overstated, some would want to champion it, but those are just little differences between people's outlook. So if O'Dowda and Brownhill's special friendship ever does blossom into something more romantic, they'll have our support. 

On 13/07/2019 at 20:26, LondonBristolian said:

It isn’t telling people about your preferences though. I don’t think most gay people want to tell other people their sexuality but they do want to be able to talk about their lives. It’s not at all unusual for someone to come into work on a Monday and talk about where they went or what they did with their husband or wife over the weekend. It’s not all unusual for people to talk their friends about the boy or girl they have started dating.

If someone is gay, none of these things are people promoting their sexuality - just talking about their lives as anyone would. But it is hard to do that if you feel compelled to hide the gender of the person you are talking about.

Thanks for the positive response to my earlier comment. 

As LondonBristolian says we all meet new people all of the time and when you are gay you have to decide how open to be. Generally I am more likely to be open with women than men and have got quite good at talking about my partner indirectly without using “he”.

As I said before, I think the reason why we need to see some footballers come out is to break down stereotypes. A few years back I was at a birthday party and there were some big burly builders though so I was cautious around them. Then one of them mentioned that they were in fact a gay couple and we had a good old chat afterwards. They lived in the countryside and had dogs - so unlike the gay stereotype. I think they were involved with some group supporting LGBT people in construction.

A lot of stereotypes are hard to shake e.g people think of HIV and still think of the tombstone from the 80s. Actually it can’t be cured but with medication, people can now live a normal life and it has become a disease that can be managed like diabetes. Also around half of new diagnoses are now in straight people.

On 09/07/2019 at 17:15, Bar BS3 said:

I’ve got to say that it’s slightly ironic that no doubt the FA etc will be fully behind this “coming out”. They will insist on people liberalising their views (rightly so) as they have done with the race campaigns of the past. Their backing of the LGBT ?️‍? rainbow corner flags, suggests that should a man choose to attend a football match in a dress and stockings, it should be welcomed and “ignored” yet if you dare to sit in a part of the ground with the wrong colour football shirt on, then you will be ejected, possibly arrested & possibly banned from attending future matches..! 

So providing they don’t wear Leeds socks they should be ok? 

On 09/07/2019 at 18:08, AppyDAZE said:

How dare you! I am a 1 in 10 you know, and very proud to be left-handed (actually left-handed btw) It is never  boring to point out fellow lefties when I see 'em.

We are a community, and a repressed community. ever tried to cut with scissors for the wrong hand? Or get a decent guitar in exactly the colour you want???

On the upside you lefties have a massive advantage in boxing !

apparently one of the only sports where it is a big advantage

having boxed myself I can attest to this

but if you don’t believe me, google it and see how many left handed world champs there have been.  A disproportionate amount when compared to the percentage of lefties in the population   

On 09/07/2019 at 13:45, Ska Junkie said:

I really don't get the 'big deal' here TBH. I go to football to watch the football, not worry about the sexuality of individuals.

While I wish the 'gay footballer' well, I genuinely couldn't give a monkeys.

I apologise if that's not PC but why the pullava?  He's gay, right, let's get on with the football. 

Exactly this..... I'm sure me like most grew up in what ever chosen section of the ground and for me it was the Eastend and seem to remember 1 chat that would of been frowned upon today and I'm sure most on here took part in it at some stage of their city life so how times have changed. 

• Admin
On 15/07/2019 at 17:13, soultrader said:

On the upside you lefties have a massive advantage in boxing !

apparently one of the only sports where it is a big advantage

having boxed myself I can attest to this

but if you don’t believe me, google it and see how many left handed world champs there have been.  A disproportionate amount when compared to the percentage of lefties in the population   

Lefties can cause particular problems for an opposing team in cricket too.

9 hours ago, Robin1988 said:

At least @SX227 won’t have to worry he’s doing it for financial gain in that case.

Wow, all that sand in your vagina is causing quite the itch isn't it?

Just because I called you out - twattish PM's and now this garbage.

I assume 1988 refers to your birthdate - the unoriginality of it just adds to the fact that you are simply a very silly little boy, who at 31 should have grown out of temper tantrums by now.

For those who don't know, this manchild accused me of being essentially homophobic as I couldn't possibly have a clue about gay men, only to frantically backpeddle when I pointed him to the bit where  I posted about my youngest being gay.

So over a week later, with half of Weymouth beach up his front passage, he felt the need to revisit the issue.

I have no idea why. 

Still, you have got it off your chest, so I hope you feel better.

Go find a gay bloke, give him a hug and tell him how proud of him you are.  I'm sure he will be moved to tears by your amazing act of anti-homophobia.

You are my hero. I wish I could give you a cuddle.

41 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

This is definitely a prank I think, shame cause it’s turned something important into a bit of a joke

We’ll never know for sure whether this was a prank or not. It’s certainly very possible it was but it is also not impossible this was a genuine account and the person lost their nerve at the last moment.

Either way, I actually wonder if some good could come out of it. It may have got other gay footballers thinking and I would not be shocked if at least one footballer finally comes out before the end of this season.

If this is a hoax, it’s pretty disgusting as it’s an important moment which is so important for an underrepresented part of society/sport. At the time of the announcement a number if credible media sources were reporting that it’s definitely genuine. It’s also poor on their part to mislead the public. 

If it is genuine (which I am sceptical) it shows how badly the ‘player’ has handled the whole situation and he can’t deal with the media circus he created. 

Edit: I have no idea what is going on with my font size as if there’s some subliminal messaging ingrained within my post.

This news has really pissed me off.

If this is fake, then whoever is behind this account has probably put football society back another decade. Whether you like it or not, it is a big deal, especially for those that wish to be involved in the game and don't wish to hide who they are to the fans or their team mates. They might have thought that making a fake account to raise the subject in the public eye would've been good, but it's done the exact opposite by painting people in the LGBTQ+ community as attention seekers.

If it's true, then again, by going back into hiding the subject has been held back once again. I would've assumed that someone making such a big deal out of this would have put assurances in to whoever he leaked the information to (Jim White being the most notable) that a reveal was already in motion. The person behind the account also made a number of assurances to others that they would be involved in this story, so I wonder whether he'll be reaching out to those people to say sorry.

Either way, this news is damaging to equality in football.

39 minutes ago, EnderMB said:

This news has really pissed me off.

If this is fake, then whoever is behind this account has probably put football society back another decade. Whether you like it or not, it is a big deal, especially for those that wish to be involved in the game and don't wish to hide who they are to the fans or their team mates. They might have thought that making a fake account to raise the subject in the public eye would've been good, but it's done the exact opposite by painting people in the LGBTQ+ community as attention seekers.

If it's true, then again, by going back into hiding the subject has been held back once again. I would've assumed that someone making such a big deal out of this would have put assurances in to whoever he leaked the information to (Jim White being the most notable) that a reveal was already in motion. The person behind the account also made a number of assurances to others that they would be involved in this story, so I wonder whether he'll be reaching out to those people to say sorry.

Either way, this news is damaging to equality in football.

I think all the new 'gender identities' that keep cropping up are already painting people in the LGBTQ+ as attention seekers. I know several people in that community who aren't happy about it. 

6 hours ago, SX227 said:

Wow, all that sand in your vagina is causing quite the itch isn't it?

Just because I called you out - twattish PM's and now this garbage.

I assume 1988 refers to your birthdate - the unoriginality of it just adds to the fact that you are simply a very silly little boy, who at 31 should have grown out of temper tantrums by now.

For those who don't know, this manchild accused me of being essentially homophobic as I couldn't possibly have a clue about gay men, only to frantically backpeddle when I pointed him to the bit where  I posted about my youngest being gay.

So over a week later, with half of Weymouth beach up his front passage, he felt the need to revisit the issue.

I have no idea why. 

Still, you have got it off your chest, so I hope you feel better.

Go find a gay bloke, give him a hug and tell him how proud of him you are.  I'm sure he will be moved to tears by your amazing act of anti-homophobia.

You are my hero. I wish I could give you a cuddle.

No one back-peddled mate - you misread my post/PM quite badly if you thought “I’m even more amazed you’re so dismissive of casual homophobia considering you have a gay son” was doing that.

By the way, it’s great that he had such an easy coming out, but it may surprise you to know that not everyone has such an open, supportive family (even if you do hide it well) and network around them, as well as the general public. Especially anyone “in the closet” as a public figure in Britain in 2019.

The irony of being called a “man child” who has “sand in his vagina” amid a long angry ramble doesn’t even need dignifying.

It’s a crying shame if the Gay Footballer is fake, it could have been a real force for good just getting someone out there who’s proud to be known and, unfortunately, happy to take the stick (both ‘financial motivation’ and from the stands) which would come with it.

It’d make life so much easier for whoever comes next, but if it turns out to be bollocks imagine the added scepticism there will be for any genuine player considering doing it in the same ways. Hope they can throw the book at him/her.

8 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

I think all the new 'gender identities' that keep cropping up are already painting people in the LGBTQ+ as attention seekers. I know several people in that community who aren't happy about it. 

It could be that gender is actually a spectrum of hundreds of variances and we all land on a different place on that spectrum.

Archived