IGNORED

Coming out as homosexual in the Championship

EnderMB

2 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

Maybe so, but that doesn't mean you need a flag if you're asexual or 'panromantic' 

It does seem odd but I think its a very human thing to do. We label people, categorise people, form tribes, defend our own groups over others. Bloody humans.

• Admin
1 hour ago, EnderMB said:

This news has really pissed me off.

If this is fake, then whoever is behind this account has probably put football society back another decade. Whether you like it or not, it is a big deal, especially for those that wish to be involved in the game and don't wish to hide who they are to the fans or their team mates. They might have thought that making a fake account to raise the subject in the public eye would've been good, but it's done the exact opposite by painting people in the LGBTQ+ community as attention seekers.

If it's true, then again, by going back into hiding the subject has been held back once again. I would've assumed that someone making such a big deal out of this would have put assurances in to whoever he leaked the information to (Jim White being the most notable) that a reveal was already in motion. The person behind the account also made a number of assurances to others that they would be involved in this story, so I wonder whether he'll be reaching out to those people to say sorry.

Either way, this news is damaging to equality in football.

Completely agree with the above.

But Jim White and Gary Lineker have both claimed to have spoke to the footballer concerned, surely it has to be real?

The last tweet was basically saying that they couldn't go through with it

19 minutes ago, phantom said:

But Jim White and Gary Lineker have both claimed to have spoke to the footballer concerned, surely it has to be real?

It was a big error of judgement from the player then, to go big, then duck out.

Maybe this won't be the end of it...

27 minutes ago, phantom said:

Not if they spoke to him through the twitter account, could've still been a randomer. 

Wouldn't surprise me if this was just some experiment to get people talking and see how people would react. 

28 minutes ago, phantom said:

Jim White made a **** of himself tweeting the ‘Gay Footballer’ (I think you will find he never spoke to him) desperate to get the exclusive interview

27 minutes ago, mozo said:

It was a big error of judgement from the player then, to go big, then duck out.

Maybe this won't be the end of it...

It seemed a silly way to go about it; if you want to draw vast media attention to yourself then that's what you would do.

A local radio presenter has "come out" as gay, previously had a girlfriend, but has never made a big deal of it or even openly said it on the radio AFAIK and it's not referred to.  He has a public social media account which shows pictures of him and his partner on holiday.

Now I accept that the Championship is not local radio but that sort of "so what, it's not an issue" approach is surely going to be better than this "big announcement coming" tack which is only going to stoke media interest.

If one of our players did the same with no big announcement but just allowed people to pick up that their media stream was mainly pictures of him and the same bloke all the time and his response was "so what, it's not an issue" then I don't think it would be much of one.

I know it isn't an issue for OTIB, as per this thread, but I don't think anyone expected it to be so anyway.  This is a polite place.

27 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

It seemed a silly way to go about it; if you want to draw vast media attention to yourself then that's what you would do.

A local radio presenter has "come out" as gay, previously had a girlfriend, but has never made a big deal of it or even openly said it on the radio AFAIK and it's not referred to.  He has a public social media account which shows pictures of him and his partner on holiday.

Now I accept that the Championship is not local radio but that sort of "so what, it's not an issue" approach is surely going to be better than this "big announcement coming" tack which is only going to stoke media interest.

If one of our players did the same with no big announcement but just allowed people to pick up that their media stream was mainly pictures of him and the same bloke all the time and his response was "so what, it's not an issue" then I don't think it would be much of one.

I know it isn't an issue for OTIB, as per this thread, but I don't think anyone expected it to be so anyway.  This is a polite place.

The approach chosen depends on the outcome you're trying to acheive.

The radio chap was presumably looking to acheive minimal impact. The player was looking for maximum impact, for the reasons debated in this thrrad.

29 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

I do sort of agree. I think everyone has to do these things their own way but I would quite like it if, when a player does come out, it’s more of a passing reference to celebrating with his boyfriend in a post-match interview rather than a massive press conference. But any player has to decide what is right for them.

If the Twitter account is genuine then the scale and complexity of the handling of the announcement seems to be what has put the player off.

5 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I do sort of agree. I think everyone has to do these things their own way but I would quite like it if, when a player does come out, it’s more of a passing reference to celebrating with his boyfriend in a post-match interview rather than a massive press conference. But any player has to decide what is right for them.

If the Twitter account is genuine then the scale and complexity of the handling of the announcement seems to be what has put the player off.

We'll all have our preferences, but ultimately they're their own people and have to do it their way.

This was evidently a failed attempt at a taboo-smashing PR stunt.

Obviously it was a hoax. Attention seeking for the gay community or it was bait hoping that another player would come out first. if a player came out he wouldn't get any abuse nowadays so they shouldn't have any worries. Once one comes out then more will. 

2 minutes ago, paul_fox said:

Obviously it was a hoax. Attention seeking for the gay community or it was bait hoping that another player would come out first. if a player came out he wouldn't get any abuse nowadays so they shouldn't have any worries. Once one comes out then more will. 

"Attention seeking for the gay community"?

I'm not gay, but I suspect that most in the gay community would appreciate a little less attention most of the time...

19 minutes ago, chipdawg said:

"Attention seeking for the gay community"?

I'm not gay, but I suspect that most in the gay community would appreciate a little less attention most of the time...

Maybe i worded it wrong. But yeah I know a lot of the gay community don't like the attention etc. Possibly a pr stunt by a group or media to get others to come out as they'd be all over it whilst most fans wouldn't really care  

49 minutes ago, paul_fox said:

They would get abuse. Racial abuse is vastly on the increase.  A gay footballer would get even more. 

7 minutes ago, Lucan said:

So now the obvious wind up has been put on ice, can OTIB members now stop competing to show how cool they are with the world of LGBTQIAPK+ ...?

The number of posts on here from people just itching to show how open minded they are just makes me cringe

I cringe at your closed mindedness! 

Just now, BobBobSuperBob said:

Try .......it’s now reported more and recorded in finite detail in a million places

Maybe you’re right.

The fact that there were still 274 reported incidents last season is still shocking.

I also heavily doubt reporting of racist abuse has risen so much over the last year, it does seem that it’s becoming a problem again, although only in minorities 

Try .......it’s now reported more and recorded in finite detail in a million places

I hope it's not on the rise, and that people are more willing to report it. I also hope it's recorded. Im not sure what you mean by a million places though?

8 minutes ago, Lucan said:

So now the obvious wind up has been put on ice, can OTIB members now stop competing to show how cool they are with the world of LGBTQIAPK+ ...?

The number of posts on here from people just itching to show how open minded they are just makes me cringe

Embrace it. It's really very important that people vocally show support for causes like LGBT+. The effect discrimination can have on young people trying to figure out who they are can be devastating, as can the consequences. If people want to speak out in support they should!

Be better if you kept  your political nonsense and posts for the appropriate forum

you can’t post more than a couple without sliding into it 

To be fair, if you read the article Roisin Hood (Kick it Out’s chief) says exactly the same thing so it may have some truth behind it

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Be better if you kept  your political nonsense and posts for the appropriate forum

you can’t post more than a couple without sliding into it 

It’s not nonsense if it’s relevant. After Brexit racism has been on the rise in this country.  That’s an appropriate point to make. It just doesn’t fit your agenda so you don’t like it. 

Just now, JBFC II said:

To be fair, if you read the article Roisin Hood (Kick it Out’s chief) says exactly the same thing so it may have some truth behind it

It’s clear. Statistically and anecdotally.  New life has been breathed into racists up and down the country.  I am guessing gay people scare Neanderthal’s more than non-white people so a gay footballer will get abuse. 

5 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

That would be my initial thought on the reported figures rising. In that BBC link it states that it includes social media and grassroots football. I can't see that it's risen on the professional games at stadiums but I only go to Ashton Gate. 

2 minutes ago, paul_fox said:

That would be my initial thought on the reported figures rising. In that BBC link it states that it includes social media and grassroots football. I can't see that it's risen on the professional games at stadiums but I only go to Ashton Gate. 

Since Brexit I’ve known of a few racist incidents at Ashton Gate. Wolves last season, Cardiff season before are the two I can remember the specific game. Hadn’t heard any for years before Brexit.

Archived