IGNORED

AFC Wimbledon v Bristol City - Friendly Matchday Thread

Selred

2 hours ago, Selred said:

Overall strong turn out, must of been circa 300 city fans. Few chants. Good laugh. 

In terms of the game, hard to judge players when they are only getting 30 mins each. 

Special shout outs to Sammie, boy looks class. Great movement, good touch. Also thought Moore looked rather tidy, and Hunt had a good game. 

Bakinson I thought was poor, some bad passes as he didn’t look up, and lost his man a few times. Also thought Webster didn’t have his best game, bottled a few headers and some suspect positioning. Although did spray a couple of lovely passes. 

Still think there is a long way to go before we can judge the squad. Big pre-season away trip now, chatted to Scotty pre-game, he’s got his submarine ready to take all the gear over.  

I had a very different outlook on Bakinson than you thinking he did OK tonight,  although your version of events was of a player more like Marvin Eliot who he was likened to in another thread. The interesting bit for me was how he was deployed in the Pack role after Marlon's departure (with Rowe also moving into midfield and O'Dowda taking over at left wing back).

Agree that Hunt had a good game and comment on Szmodics, Walsh  was very accurate and could have dropped a ball on a sixpence. Good crossing from Eliasson to be expected and a great cross from Vyner for Fams second less expected. Not sure about Moore, generally solid but silly penalty conceded. Interesting to see Opi Edwards on the pitch tonight. Is he a surprise inclusion on the plane tomorrow. All in all a decent workout. 

Enjoyable game this evening and City were well supported. I was quite surprised to see 200-300 fans in the away end so fair play. 

It's hard to give a proper write-up given that there were so many players on the pitch and changes being made throughout. However, we were far better on the ball in the first 60 minutes than the last half an hour. This correlates with the removal of Webster and Kalas as we struggled to build from the back. 

In the first half an hour, I was very keen to watch Semenyo. He struggled to get into the game but was also victim to a few pointless balls into the box. He's one of the things that I'm most excited about this season so it was disappointing to not see more of him influencing the game. Conversely to what another poster mentioned, I actually thought Bakinson looked good and it was also reiterated by my mates who are not City fans. He often dropped deep and looked eager to get on the ball and make things happen. Given his large athletic frame, he could be a good alternative to Pack in the not too distant future. 

It was good to see Kalas back in a City shirt but I thought he looked a bit rusty while defending. Tommy Rowe slotted in well at left back and Gilmartin looked better than the prizewinner he was deemed to be by the Colchester fans. 

A number of changes were made before the break (I think!) and the biggest impact of note was the introduction of Diedhiou. Although it was against League 1 opposition in a friendly, he showed tonight how much we would miss his power, pace and desire if he were to move on. He took his goals very well and the second was put on a plate after a fantastic ball by Vyner. 

Around the 60-65th another mass change was made, with Bailey Wright and Taylor Moore forming a new centre back pairing. I think they both struggled to get on the same wavelength tonight and it impacted the rhythm of the game as we struggled to bring it out from the back. Moore was at fault for the first penalty which was stonewall given that he hooked his outstretched foot round the attackers leg. The patterns of play were also affected by the midfield which was primarily made up of wingers playing out of position. Marley Watkins needs to a big pre-season to make the bench for the opening game as he looked lost at times tonight. 

A massive mention has to go to Szmodics for his desire and contribution tonight. Playing in a free role behind the attacker, he didn't stop buzzing around trying to make things happen. He was scathing of Janneh who could've played him through at 1 point and even kicked the advertising hoarding when misplacing a cross. All of this when we were 3-0 up. I think it shows his desire to impress. 

A small mention should also go to Woolacott who made some excellent saves when coming on from both long and short range. He looks excellent for a fourth/fifth choice keeper and will hopefully secure a loan move when the other goalies are back fit, 

All of this can be taken with a pinch of salt given it's very early in pre-season but there is plenty to get excited about. An enjoyable evening in Norbiton. 

15 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

@Coppello nice to see you had your eagle eye on Bakinson.  I’ve heard him likened to a lower league Vieira....is that near the mark, or is he a different type of player?

Not really got the speed or strength to burst like Viera imo, perhaps closer to a Carrick or Skinny Matic. Technique like pogba but probably won't burst forward much.

He may yet fill out and get better physically but I think he's just a skinny gangly lad who may remain that way. 

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

I am afraid we will be seeing a lot of penalties this season with the new interpretation of the rules, particularly handball. People seem to think it will be easy for defenders who have been schooled in taking up particular positions and body shapes when defending, to just change those positions overnight. It's deeply ingrained and I think it will take a while for the coaches to change a lot of players and the way they play.

Why have we given away 4 and been awarded 0 then?

18 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

@Coppello nice to see you had your eagle eye on Bakinson.  I’ve heard him likened to a lower league Vieira....is that near the mark, or is he a different type of player?

It's not a bad comparison but if he could become half the player Viera was we'd have hell of a player. 

quite a few positives from the pre-season friendlies then.

How this will translate when the real business starts is hard to tell.

Biggest questions for me are:

1. Will we sign a proven goalscorer before the end of the window?

2. When is Korey Smith likely to be fit again.

3. What cover/alternatives do we have in the right back position?

I guess that everything will become clear on the 4th August, though I do remain cautiously optimistic subject to the above three questions being answered positively.

6 hours ago, ZiderEyed said:

Shows how far we've come in such a short space of time. Baker and Wright are both solid Championship players who could do a job for most teams in this division imo. Not worth worrying about at all.

Wright is solid. But LJ often plays Baker who really isn't solid imo.

6 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

I guess that everything will become clear on the 4th August, though I do remain cautiously optimistic subject to the above three questions being answered positively.

LJ as quoted by GMcG has stated we are still looking to bring in a CM and forward so your wishes may come true yet

I think Walsh's injury looked pretty minor. Just guessing but I think he stayed down out of caution. He didn't need any help or even limp when he left the field. I certainly hope it's minor - he was excellent. Szmodics too was brilliant and also looked at one stage like he'd hurt himself. Seemed to run it off but I wondered if he was hiding it and he didn't finish at quite the same pace.

I didn't see what others saw in Bakinson. I thought he didn't look up to speed and got frustrated with himself.

COD had a great game. No doubt there were scouts at the game, so I wondered who he was trying to impress. Hopefully his manager!

1 hour ago, JamesBCFC said:

His brothers are called Cole and Rio!

I even had an FM15 save where I signed both Jay and Cole DaSilva on loans and had them as my 2 wingbacks.

So it appears that the Josh Dasilva at Brentford is not related. Ta

13 hours ago, Davefevs said:

So it appears that the Josh Dasilva at Brentford is not related. Ta

I really think DaSilva could turn to gold.  He finished the season pretty impressively and I thought he looked better than Danny Rose did at a similar age.  Shame he doesn't have an extra couple of inches, though that could probably be said for most of you ?

8 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

I really think DaSilva could turn to gold.  He finished the season pretty impressively and I thought he looked better than Danny Rose did at a similar age.  Shame he doesn't have an extra couple of inches, though that could probably be said for most of you ?

Silva to gold. ?

On 10/07/2019 at 00:52, wendyredredrobin said:

1. Everyone wants a goal scorer so maybe. But from what I’m reading about Szmodics maybe we are thinking about using him in the Bobby Reid position and have him score and increase service so maybe we are sticking to what we have.

2. Korey is Oct/Nov at the earliest I think.

3. Bailey Wright played RB for the best part of a season for us, and can’t Zak play there too. Not ideal I grant you but we have got cover.

9 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

All fair points RedM, but I still have my doubts as to whether Fam is the man to take us into the top 2.  Would love to be proved wrong yhough.

Oh I’m totally with you, I was just saying what I think we will do not particularly what I personally would like. We have strengthened a few positions by making loan players our own and even paying out a few million for a Keeper is something we haven’t seen before. But as ever it’s goals that get you promotion and now hopefully we have sorted out keeping them out we need to score a few too, but I’m feeling we won’t be paying out millions for a striker unless we get millions for one we can sell.

But that said with our intent this season, and Villa for example promoted out of the way, if we don’t go for it now when will we? 

Archived