IGNORED

Strangest football descions

FrozenRobin

1 hour ago, Red7 said:

Spelling 'decision' wrong twice?

Getting a bus, then train, and walking to Filbert Street only to find it was an all-ticket game.

Standing around for 45 minutes hoping that they might let me in at half time.  Vainly.

That's two bad footballing descions.

39 minutes ago, The Bard said:

Bollocks to Lineker.  Real problem was that Shearer stayed sat on the bench...

Lineker and Shearer didn’t play for the England team at the same time though? Lineker’s last game was vs Sweden at the 1992 Euro Champs and Shearer’s full international career started after that ...

42 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

About 30 too many ?

Never rated him from the time he got converted to a holding playmaker.  Don’t get me wrong decent player, but at Man Utd you needed to be better than that.  Never saw him run a game against top opposition.  Never saw him give a sterling protective performance in a crucial European game for example. 

Suspect I’m in a minority of 1. ?

36 minutes ago, Red7 said:

No, you're not. The only thing I disagree with is the '30 too many'. More like 34 too many, in my book.

Amazed how under-appreciated he was and seemingly still is. Fergie picked him continuously. He played in all the big games whilst United were winning countless trophies in England and Europe.

Controlled games, protected his defence and crucially could unlock defences and play superb balls in between the lines, spotting and finding runners easily.

Think he got in PFA teams of the year and won United player of the year as well.  All whilst England managers, who I assume knew better than Fergie, didn’t pick him. 

Should have won 100 caps and then the golden generation might have won something.  

1 hour ago, cidercity1987 said:

Sacking Johnson for finishing 10th and getting our comeuppance by then going 15th-20th-24th-League One without him

We were 18th when he was sacked and playing god awful football including a 6-0 defeat to Cardiff. He contributed to a lot of the damage that happened in the seasons after by signing poor players on long contracts we couldnt shift.It was a good decision to sack him but the strangest thing that happened was Steve Coppell who followed and the whole fiasco around David James.

48 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Lineker and Shearer didn’t play for the England team at the same time though? Lineker’s last game was vs Sweden at the 1992 Euro Champs and Shearer’s full international career started after that ...

Wasn’t Shearer fairly woeful for England, until Euro 96..? 

I could be wrong, but that’s how I remember it. 

9 minutes ago, 42104RED said:

Anyone who buys a season ticket to watch the gas.

Not many make that mistake though...! 

1 minute ago, downendcity said:

Lita not even on the bench at the Mill Stad.

Signing Tony Rougier but not signing his twin brother.

Can add Murray on the bench to this one too. Will never forget that day, got the feeling we genuinely didn’t want promotion  after seeing that line up.

5 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

Johnson didn’t get sacked for finishing 10th..!

An overexaggeration for sure but we finished 10th the season before and 10th that season.

We were actually 15th at the time (with game/s in hand as far as I remember) not 18th as per another poster. Millen getting 15th the next season was a positive success compared to what was to follow.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/b/bristol_city/8573494.stm

5 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

They overlapped briefly, for example they both played against France in February 1992 at Wembley:

https://www.11v11.com/matches/england-v-france-19-february-1992-243462/

14 minutes ago, North London Red said:

They overlapped briefly, for example they both played against France in February 1992 at Wembley:

https://www.11v11.com/matches/england-v-france-19-february-1992-243462/

Notwithstanding the result, picking that midfield seems a strange footballing decision.

8 hours ago, Coppello said:

Genuine question @FrozenRobin. Have you made resolution to make a thread every day in July? I've noticed you've recently joined the forum and started a lot of topics but a lot of the threads lack a little substance/genuine discussion points.

Hello

Yes I am new. 

No  I have not made resolution to make a thread every day in July

Yes some of my threads are poor

8 hours ago, RedDave said:

Amazed how under-appreciated he was and seemingly still is. Fergie picked him continuously. He played in all the big games whilst United were winning countless trophies in England and Europe.

Not denying he more often than not did the business for Man. Utd. But he never really looked like he belonged in an England shirt when he played, in my opinion - almost like the step up was too much. Some players look like they belong straight away. I don't think he did.

9 hours ago, RedDave said:

Controlled games, protected his defence and crucially could unlock defences and play superb balls in between the lines, spotting and finding runners easily.

Think he got in PFA teams of the year and won United player of the year as well.  All whilst England managers, who I assume knew better than Fergie, didn’t pick him. 

Should have won 100 caps and then the golden generation might have won something.  

One we will obviously disagree on ???

I don’t rate Harry Kane either ??? well certainly not as highly as others. Not world class imho 

Archived