IGNORED

Strangest football descions

FrozenRobin

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

One we will obviously disagree on ???

I don’t rate Harry Kane either ??? well certainly not as highly as others. Not world class imho 

Surprised.

More to being a world class striker than scoring goals but 150 in 220 for club and country combined is pretty sensational. 

His link up play is excellent too I would say

What is it about him you don’t like?

All depends what world class means though I guess!  I generally define it as if you made the best five teams in the world 4-4-2 , would they get in. So roughly ten strikers 

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I don’t rate Harry Kane either ??? well certainly not as highly as others. Not world class imho 

Really?

125 goals in 178 appearances for Spurs at the very highest level.

16th in the all-time England goalscoring charts, despite having only played for four years, and a goals per game ratio better than Hurst, Shearer, Charlton, Owen, Rooney and Finney.

Definitely world class. 

17 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Surprised.

More to being a world class striker than scoring goals but 150 in 220 for club and country combined is pretty sensational. 

His link up play is excellent too I would say

What is it about him you don’t like?

All depends what world class means though I guess!  I generally define it as if you made the best five teams in the world 4-4-2 , would they get in. So roughly ten strikers 

He is a good finisher. I can not deny that. 

I just don’t rate the rest of his game that much (should state I mean at international level). I don’t see him dragging an England team upwards. 

England aren’t good enough to just have a player up top who only scores goals!

Again, most people will disagree. I’m fine with that. 

A few that spring to mind:

Sir Alf Ramsey taking Charlton off and messing with the shape of the team against West Germany in 1970.

Sir Alex not picking Alan Hansen for the 1986 World Cup. 

Real Madrid signing Jonathan Woodgate. 

Sir Alex signing Ralph Milne

Newcastle selling Cole to Man Utd

Our managerial appointments between 1999 and 2000 including Clueless Pulis, Dave Burnside and Tony Fawthrop. 

5 hours ago, Davefevs said:

One we will obviously disagree on ???

If you're not world class winning the world cup golden boot then nobody is.

8 minutes ago, Barry Sheene said:

If you're not world class winning the world cup golden boot then nobody is.

Oleg Salenko, James Rodriguez, David Sukor, Schilliachi??????  Sometimes can depend massively who you play against, taking pens etc. 

As I said I doubt many agree with my non-rating of Kane or Carrick. It’s not that I think they are bad players, I just don’t get the “top class” views. 

George Best was world class...never played in a major tournament 

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Oleg Salenko, James Rodriguez, David Sukor, Schilliachi??????  Sometimes can depend massively who you play against, taking pens etc. 

As I said I doubt many agree with my non-rating of Kane or Carrick. It’s not that I think they are bad players, I just don’t get the “top class” views. 

Take your point on pens and opposition and would add that top class players in the team will certainly help your cause.

However in the top level professional game and particularly on the world stage there no faking it. If you're not good enough you simply will not get selected.

Harry Kane being golden boot in the world cup and then playing in the champions League final the following season is no coincidence in my opinion.

17 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

Awarding the World Cup to Quatar

"Strangest", not "openly corrupt". Also holding the Europa final in Baku for similar reasons.

* Schteve Maclaren getting the England job, purely because MACCARONE......

* Danny Wilson leaving out Leroy Lita in the '04 playoff final

* Man U hiring Moyes and thinking things wouldn't fall off a cliff

* Employing an action replay system in football with no transparent consultation with other sports leagues as how to iron the kinks

* Moving 50% of our home games this coming season from Saturday 3pm KOs. WITAF.

17 hours ago, Davefevs said:

About 30 too many ?

Never rated him from the time he got converted to a holding playmaker.  Don’t get me wrong decent player, but at Man Utd you needed to be better than that.  Never saw him run a game against top opposition.  Never saw him give a sterling protective performance in a crucial European game for example. 

Suspect I’m in a minority of 1. ?

Never seen him give the ball away?

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Don't bring Davor Suker into this! That man is a legend.

He won the Champions League at club level, third place at the world cup. A world cup golden boot, part of the team of the tournament. Ballon D'or runner up.

If you're voted the second best player in the world, but aren't world class, then there must only be 1 player who is.

At a certain point, being 'world class' becomes factual rather than a matter of opinion. Davor Suker reached that point.

20 hours ago, FrozenRobin said:

So I heard that Darren Moore has taken a job at Doncaster Rovers. Got me thinking about how he was sacked. To me was an absolutely ridiculous sacking but I'm not a WBA fan. So is there anything worse than that descion ?

Awarding a World Cup to Qatar.

Allowing Maradonna's handled goal to stand. What became of the Ref & Linesman who allowed it?

The FA & League permitting rule abuse by the larger clubs, but stamping on smaller ones for the same offence.

8 minutes ago, 22A said:

Awarding a World Cup to Qatar.

Allowing Maradonna's handled goal to stand. What became of the Ref & Linesman who allowed it?

The FA & League permitting rule abuse by the larger clubs, but stamping on smaller ones for the same offence.

They're in charge of VAR ! :shocking:

3 hours ago, Barry Sheene said:

Take your point on pens and opposition and would add that top class players in the team will certainly help your cause.

However in the top level professional game and particularly on the world stage there no faking it. If you're not good enough you simply will not get selected.

Harry Kane being golden boot in the world cup and then playing in the champions League final the following season is no coincidence in my opinion.

I know he’s a good player (I’m not saying he’s not good enough to play for England), and I accept he is a very good goalscorer, I just don’t think he’s top drawer overall.  Yes, controversial.

If I had to pick Kane or Lineker (another goalscorer), I would pick Lineker every day of the week.

13 hours ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

Notwithstanding the result, picking that midfield seems a strange footballing decision.

It was Graham Taylor, rest his soul.  He was full of strange footballing decisions.  My favourite was dropping Chris Waddle after he finished second in the European footballer of the year vote for Tony Daley.

2 hours ago, The Bard said:

It was Graham Taylor, rest his soul.  He was full of strange footballing decisions.  My favourite was dropping Chris Waddle after he finished second in the European footballer of the year vote for Tony Daley.

I have the front page from the sun pre euro 92 with a picture of graham Taylor walking up a grass bank hold the George cross with the headline

SIT BACK AND WATCH ENGLAND WITH THE EUROS......

i was home a week later ........ 

41 minutes ago, The Batman said:

West Ham signing Tevez & Mascherano and all the legal stuff that followed. 

It did relegate warnock though.

That was great, all his rants about West Ham cheating etc, coming from someone who got a game abandoned on purpose ?

Blokes a complete to$$er.

10 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

Southampton sacking Nigel Adkins(54 win %) mid season to bring in some unknown foreign bloke to replace him.

Sometimes a manager has to take the bullet for a result that is just too hard to stomach. 

Adkins’ job became untenable when he took his Southampton team to play Bristol Rovers. Only beating them 4-0 was just too humiliating and within a couple of days he was understandably replaced. 

Archived