IGNORED

What Would You Want?

downendcity

12 minutes ago, Nibor said:

So far VAR hasn't improved decisions much (at all?) and has interrupted and annoyed.  In current form I want it to go away.

FFP is a nice theory but in practise you can drive a coach and horses through it, and if anything it favours parachute clubs even more.

So neither.  Instead what I'd like to see is:

1) Retrospective ten match bans for diving and simulation to make players stay on their feet and kill off this "contact = foul" horseshit people think is normal.

Agree, if you start with a harsh penalty, I don’t mind if refs get a few wrong, it’ll start self-policing itself, managers won’t want their players banned, and players don’t want to be banned either.

2) A cap of 23 players aged 18-21 allowed to be registered for a club, like the sound of that and a cap of 16 in each academy age band to stop big clubs warehousing talented youths that never get to play. Might need a larger number to allow them to train properly, e.g. 11v11 Training.

3) Mandatory competition at drop balls.

Yep, will stop teams kicking it out....which is only the rule for head injuries.  For head injuries outside the box, allow the trainer on and continue the game, for head injuries in the box, stop play.

4) A change to the obstruction rule to bring into scope shielding a ball out of play.

My dad would vote for this.  From corners, if a attacking players goes short to receive a pass from the taker, a defender should be allowed to follow him into the imaginary 10 yard quadrant.  If no player attends the taker, then defender must stay outside the 10 yard quadrant.  Would hopefully stop the two player obstruction by the corner flag.

I reckon most of those would make the game more watchable all over.

agree

29 minutes ago, Nibor said:

So far VAR hasn't improved decisions much (at all?) and has interrupted and annoyed.  In current form I want it to go away.

FFP is a nice theory but in practise you can drive a coach and horses through it, and if anything it favours parachute clubs even more.

1) Retrospective ten match bans for diving and simulation to make players stay on their feet and kill off this "contact = foul" horseshit people think is normal.

2) A cap of 23 players aged 18-21 allowed to be registered for a club, and a cap of 16 in each academy age band to stop big clubs warehousing talented youths that never get to play.

4) A change to the obstruction rule to bring into scope shielding a ball out of play.

3) A "Gerry Gow" challenge? :) 

4) Absolutely agree. Not sure what happened to the obstruction rule, as I can't remember the last time I saw an indirect free kick awarded. When defenders are effectively backing into attackers, and using their arms to push them away, with no attempt to play the ball,  I wonder whether we need worry about obstruction, as it resembles a full on foul. Why are referees so inept when it comes to offences of this nature?

It's the same with defenders holding and man handling attackers in the penalty area at free kicks and corners - I thought this was being addressed a few seasons ago, when the "clamp down" was announced with a fanfare at the start of the season. After a few weeks, when irate managers moaned about the injustice of their defenders being penalised for something they'd been getting away with for ages, once the fuss dies down normal service was resumed, and continues to this day.

34 minutes ago, Nibor said:

2) A cap of 23 players aged 18-21 allowed to be registered for a club, and a cap of 16 in each academy age band to stop big clubs warehousing talented youths that never get to play.

Agreed but I’d also add ...

at a corner kick, the ball must be placed IN the quadrant and

(to prevent time-wasting) once a referee has awarded a free kick, whether for offside, foul play or handball, no player from the offending team must intentionally touch the ball until play resumes. 

17 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Agreed but I’d also add ...

at a corner kick, the ball must be placed IN the quadrant and

(to prevent time-wasting) once a referee has awarded a free kick, whether for offside, foul play or handball, no player from the offending team must intentionally touch the ball until play resumes. 

Love that last one.  Simple.  But brilliant.

15 hours ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

VAR requires so many cameras at each ground, all of which have to be staffed. The output of every game would need to be reviewed in real time, requiring a veritable army of people to manage both sound, vision and communication technology. Multiply that by as many as 46 times (I appreciate that not all teams play on the same day each weekend) and you’ve likely got a bigger operation than the BBC and Sky combined!

I don’t think it’s feasible to implement VAR across the entire EFL and I don’t think that the professional game should apply too many technologies which create differences to parks football.

This is pretty much my point.

If the Premier League really wants VAR, then it needs to be tested, and there is simply no better way of testing that then stress testing it in as many football matches as humanely possible. The best way to do this is to whip around the clubs and say "right, everyone cough up a few mil and we'll roll it out across all of England".

It'll cost a ton to maintain, but that's the price of ensuring that English football plays to the same rules.

52 minutes ago, EnderMB said:

This is pretty much my point.

If the Premier League really wants VAR, then it needs to be tested, and there is simply no better way of testing that then stress testing it in as many football matches as humanely possible. The best way to do this is to whip around the clubs and say "right, everyone cough up a few mil and we'll roll it out across all of England".

It'll cost a ton to maintain, but that's the price of ensuring that English football plays to the same rules.

I think our opinions are very different on this, @EnderMB. You think that its viable for it to be implemented across the entire EFL provided the Premier League teams stump up the cash whereas I don't think it at all viable because of the monumental infrastructure and resource which such a project would demand (for a miniscule ROI).

Put a value on providing an infrastructure in place at Stevenage; they're beating Crewe 5-0 and in the last minute Crewe have a penalty appeal turned down and for the first time in the match a VAR review is called for; the referee's original decision is overturned and a penalty is awarded which Crewe miss. The cost of providing the remote infrastructure (cameras, camera crew, microphones, sound engineers, satellite communications, communications engineers etc) and resource (production crew, referees etc) to this match would be massive. The benefits - zero. The ROI negative.

The need to double the number of suitably qualified and experienced referees would just be the start. Regardless of how much money is thrown at the problem, it would take years to achieve such growth. These things do take time.

22 hours ago, RedDave said:

1.  No VAR other than goalline technology

2. Allow players to celebrate goals however they want within reason. Can take shirts off, can jump into the crowd.

3. Any clear dives to be punished retrospectively by a 3 game ban for gross misconduct

4. Away fans ticket prices to be no more expensive than the cheapest adult home ticket

5. Home ticket price deductions to be triggered depending on how many matches you see. I.E

Games 1-6 £35 each

Games 7-12 £30 each

Games 13-18 £23 each

Games 19-23 £15 each

Dwight Gayle ear cupping style celebrations to be punishable by firing squad or lethal injection 

On 11/07/2019 at 12:00, downendcity said:

The results of an EFL supporter survey shows that nearly two-thirds of fans want VAR & goalie technology.

In view of the issues raised by Derby & Villa's stadium "sales" , Wednesday's questionable financial situation with no accounts submitted and ffp apparently in a chaotic state, which is the more important to City fans:

1. The introduction of VAR & goalie technology, or

2. Ffp rules made airtight, properly administered and applied and any club breaching the rules and limits being properly punished, including substantial points deductions no matter how big the club?

2. Football managed for years without technology and was fine (though I have no problem with VAR). The influx of money is relatively new and needs to be sorted out

Archived