IGNORED

Pitch markings

Desso

With a lot of pitches now being used for football and rugby, perhaps now is the time for the authorities to see if any of the traditional markings could be dispensed with. Regarding football, is the centre circle and the D on the penalty area really necessary. I'm sure that the referee could use his judgement or even his magic spray to keep the players from encroaching at kick offs and penalties. This would make the playing surface less "liney" when the rugby lines are marked.

Regarding rugby, I dont know if there are any lines that can be removed so can't comment.

It won't happen of course but something to think about during this lull in activity. 

The d's are essential to help player run ups on pens, no way can a ref keep 12 or so players at a distance from pen taker.

the simpler solution is to use a paint that simply dissolves when something is added to it. Its mad in this day and age the rugby markings are so visible. And with football now a business how on earth are all these rugby markings even allowed, ive seen better non marked park pitches!

36 minutes ago, Redwhitepurple said:

The d's are essential to help player run ups on pens, no way can a ref keep 12 or so players at a distance from pen taker.

the simpler solution is to use a paint that simply dissolves when something is added to it. Its mad in this day and age the rugby markings are so visible. And with football now a business how on earth are all these rugby markings even allowed, ive seen better non marked park pitches!

Any clever budding entrepreneurs out there. You could become very rich.

3 hours ago, Countryfile said:

Ref could use his magic spray to mark the centre circle, or ten yards for penalties 

There have been times when a groundsman has had to bring on his paint, at the request of the ref , as the original penalty spot had disappeared due to appalling conditions (a televised MOTD Derby County game for instance).

However, to shrink the distance from 12 yards to 10 is certainly another talking point!

1 hour ago, Norn Iron said:

There have been times when a groundsman has had to bring on his paint, at the request of the ref , as the original penalty spot had disappeared due to appalling conditions (a televised MOTD Derby County game for instance).

However, to shrink the distance from 12 yards to 10 is certainly another talking point!

Was I thinking metres? Help me here?

I meant to say the distance opposing players must be from the ball...I think

31 minutes ago, Countryfile said:

Was I thinking metres? Help me here?

I meant to say the distance opposing players must be from the ball...I think

Countryfile, you're right. The distance from the penalty spot to the edge of the D ( where opposing players congregate) is 10 yards.

12 yards is 10.9 metres so maybe if you're rounding down, then you're right on both counts!

It's interesting if you like figures, how important 22 is in British sport. In cricket the distance between wickets is 22 yards. 

A furlong is 220 yards. 

Originally golf courses had 22 holes but it was shortened to 18 to save time. 

There are 22 players on a football pitch. 

The average IQ of a Bristol Rovers player is.....

34 minutes ago, Norn Iron said:

Countryfile, you're right. The distance from the penalty spot to the edge of the D ( where opposing players congregate) is 10 yards.

12 yards is 10.9 metres so maybe if you're rounding down, then you're right on both counts!

It's interesting if you like figures, how important 22 is in British sport. In cricket the distance between wickets is 22 yards. 

A furlong is 220 yards. 

That decision has probably saved my marriage 

2.2?

I just love figures, my favourite is 36-24-36.

All to do with chains apparently.

23 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

I think they should just change Rugby to be played on football pitches. 

Rugby is football, just like Soccer is (and League, Aussie, American, etc)... all football.

;)

It shouldn't be a problem, last season I'm sure the wrong paint or something was being used. It was odd and I hope will return to how it was prior to that. Biggest issue for me were the sidelines; I'm not sure why LJ wanted the pitch narrowed and given City's home record/form during last season I'm not sure it worked out as intended. Any news on his plans for the coming season? I'm sure someone said on here it was going to be widened somewhere but no idea if they're ITK or not.

7 hours ago, Norn Iron said:

A furlong is 220 yards. 

The length of a cricket pitch is one chain and a furlong is 10x that. I think it`s great that we haven`t abandoned some of these old historical measures of distance like we have with others (rods, poles and perches). It winds me up that the acre is disappearing though and it`s all hectares now. I find it so difficult to visualise when a hectare is about two and a half acres. As someone who was taught both imperial and metric at school since it was around the time things were changing this is the only one I struggle with.

Archived