IGNORED

Louis Carey - Extended interview

Shtanley

Hello gang,

third sit down interview just went out, this time with City legend Louis Carey. 

We talk through his entire career from a schoolboy all the way to where he is now. 

Hope you all enjoy and cheers for the feedback and nice comments on the previous two.

Follow the podcast on twitter or facebook if you have it (@osibpodcast)

Subscribe to us on iTunes (The episode will appear when you do)

Listen via Libsyn

26 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

Hello gang,

We talk through his entire career from a schoolboy all the way to where he is now. 

Hope you all enjoy and cheers for the feedback and nice comments on the previous two.

Listen via Libsyn

Two in quick succession??

You’re spoiling us!!

Good insight into LCs City career, a really enjoyable listen, if a little overlong.

Very diplomatic regarding previous mangers he’d played for.His fascinating opinion on SoD was a highlight for me. It seems it was lack of people skills were an issue but that his coaching abilities were top notch and that given more time would have been successful.

Well worth listening to if you have the spare time.

Only ever heard Louis talk with honesty, passion and pride about his career and BCFC. Sounds like a very self moderated and humble guy these days.

Another great podcast in the series. Been a fascinating listen.

7 hours ago, Robbored said:

Good insight into LCs City career, a really enjoyable listen, if a little overlong.

Very diplomatic regarding previous mangers he’d played for.His fascinating opinion on SoD was a highlight for me. It seems it was lack of people skills were an issue but that his coaching abilities were top notch and that given more time would have been successful.

Well worth listening to if you have the spare time.

I Know I will probably get slated for this and I can’t defend the results he got but, I honestly think he played a massive part in where we are today and started(some may argue mcguiness did with cutting the wage bill) the rebuild signing a lot of the players from out promotion season who have gone on to be at least championship standard players. I remember him saying once that if he were to run a football club, he would do it in the way Bristol city were going to (around the time they released “the five pillars”) and that he may be victim to the process but the club will eventually get to where they want to be if they stick to it.

7 minutes ago, Aipearcey said:

I Know I will probably get slated for this and I can’t defend the results he got but, I honestly think he played a massive part in where we are today and started(some may argue mcguiness did with cutting the wage bill) the rebuild signing a lot of the players from out promotion season who have gone on to be at least championship standard players. I remember him saying once that if he were to run a football club, he would do it in the way Bristol city were going to (around the time they released “the five pillars”) and that he may be victim to the process but the club will eventually get to where they want to be if they stick to it.

I think many of us would agree he played an important part in the early stages of transforming the club.

Would have been better suited to a strategic role. Despite his coaching skills his downbeat public persona was dragging morale down.

If you think about LJ had a very depressing start to his managerial career at AG and if we’re not for SL sticking by him he’d have been sacked at any other club.

In Sods situation it was undoubtedly his lack of people skills that cost him his job despite him having a very similar set of results as LJ did later on.

We all know that LJ is an excellent communicator and no doubt that stood him in good stead with SL and that faith in LJ has subsequently paid off.......but who knows if SoD have been given the same support that he wouldn’t have done as well as LJ has?

Anyhow it’s all academic now.......

50 minutes in, so just ending the Danny Wilson era.  What a fantastic interview.  Really like Carey’s honesty, and in particular that he thought Ward was poorly treated, and that Benny would have been great in charge of development.  Looking forward to the rest.

30 minutes ago, chinapig said:

I think many of us would agree he played an important part in the early stages of transforming the club.

Would have been better suited to a strategic role. Despite his coaching skills his downbeat public persona was dragging morale down.

Was it? Do you mean morale amongst the fans? I have only read positive things from ex players of his, have you heard differently? He definitely had a major part to play in where we are today IMO. COYR 

11 hours ago, Shtanley said:

Hello gang,

Listen via Libsyn

Fair play to you mate, the podcast is getting better by the episode imo. You're a thoughtful and insigthful interviewer asking questions that we all would.

Keep up the good work!

10 minutes ago, Simon79 said:

Was it? Do you mean morale amongst the fans? I have only read positive things from ex players of his, have you heard differently? He definitely had a major part to play in where we are today IMO. COYR 

Yes, the fans as you say. And I did say he played a major role. It's not recognised enough.

SOD certainly had a part to play in the formative stages of the “new way” of BCFC, however let’s not forget just how woeful we were under his tenure and there’s every chance that we could have found ourselves in League 2, had he not been replaced. 

16 hours ago, Robbored said:

If you think about LJ had a very depressing start to his managerial career at AG and if we’re not for SL sticking by him he’d have been sacked at any other club.

In Sods situation it was undoubtedly his lack of people skills that cost him his job despite him having a very similar set of results as LJ did later on.

We all know that LJ is an excellent communicator and no doubt that stood him in good stead with SL and that faith in LJ has subsequently paid off.......but who knows if SoD have been given the same support that he wouldn’t have done as well as LJ has?

Anyhow it’s all academic now.......

His first 25-30 odd games averaged out at around top 8 form.

Very depressing.

A great listen. Also disagree that it's over long. What I like about these is that it does feel like a relaxed chat rather than an attempt to have a tight fifteen minute interview that we'd get on mainstream media and barely scratches the surface. Keep them coming please. Only addition: would be really interested to hear from these people talking through their all time personal City XIs. Although maybe that could be another series?

Oh , a podcast, from the podcast guy, nod.

I remember being super excited when Sean O'Driscoll joined, and you could hear Carey light up when he spoke about his coaching. What I found interesting was how much emphasis he placed on having an assistant manager or whatever to fill in the gaps that a manager has. He sounds like he's learned a lot from the managers he's played for and will put that into use in the future.

Another thing is having a generally settled group of players and them getting on and that making such a big difference to a team. You can get new players to adapt to a culture that way, instead of acting out. What we're doing at the moment with the consistency of culture is clearly paying dividends. Louis from his own words clearly wasn't a locker room leader in the way where he could shape the culture to be positive and professional. He was definitely a follower of whatever was going on around him. And that comes from the change in managers, the change in players being brought in and having to deal with that. Everyone here was either brought in by LJ, or could have been gotten rid of by now. And the squad looks very united because of that.

Feels like Carey will be our manager one day.

1 hour ago, Prinny said:

I remember being super excited when Sean O'Driscoll joined, and you could hear Carey light up when he spoke about his coaching. What I found interesting was how much emphasis he placed on having an assistant manager or whatever to fill in the gaps that a manager has. He sounds like he's learned a lot from the managers he's played for and will put that into use in the future.

Another thing is having a generally settled group of players and them getting on and that making such a big difference to a team. You can get new players to adapt to a culture that way, instead of acting out. What we're doing at the moment with the consistency of culture is clearly paying dividends. Louis from his own words clearly wasn't a locker room leader in the way where he could shape the culture to be positive and professional. He was definitely a follower of whatever was going on around him. And that comes from the change in managers, the change in players being brought in and having to deal with that. Everyone here was either brought in by LJ, or could have been gotten rid of by now. And the squad looks very united because of that.

Was a big fan of Louis for many years as a player. Stayed on the fence towards the end with rumours of being a leader of dressing room disquiet. My read is he’s not a fan of GJ from that interview. Harder to tell re Lee. Personally think if he had the brains or character he’d be nearer than Saints U16s by now. I like Louis but let’s move on 

I enjoyed the interview/chat very much - so thanks to Shtanley, you ask the questions we would all like to ask.

I'd love to hear a similar chat with Cotts and for you to ask him what really happened during that summer recruitment following promotion......don't think he'd want to talk about it though sadly

7 hours ago, Dunc said:

Was a big fan of Louis for many years as a player. Stayed on the fence towards the end with rumours of being a leader of dressing room disquiet. My read is he’s not a fan of GJ from that interview. Harder to tell re Lee. Personally think if he had the brains or character he’d be nearer than Saints U16s by now. I like Louis but let’s move on 

Yeah coaching one of the most important age groups at arguably one the best academies in Britain, if not Europe, is a sure sign Louis lacks brains...

On 13/07/2019 at 08:57, Shtanley said:

Hello gang,

Listen via Libsyn

Really good interviews @Shtanley, certainly get the interviewee comfortable and happy to talk. I would echo @Tom Fleuriot comment about an individuals best City 11. I did chuckle at the 3000 plus at Mansfield in the away end.

@Code Red you may find Cotts maybe a little more open about his time at City, especially as we’re not paying him anymore. A really good interview would be Mrs Dolman if that could be arranged 

12 hours ago, Prinny said:

I hope not! 

Archived