IGNORED

Louis Carey - Extended interview

Shtanley

Hi @Shtanley, just heard your story about how you struggle with praise. Your podcast is shit. 

Excellent episode, the best one yet. I could listen to Louis Carey all day and feel he deserves to join the City academy setup in the not too distant future. As others have commented, his love of O'Driscoll is really interesting. Everything he said was completely honest and it was really refreshing to hear. 

4 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Now what sort of question is that?

I'll let someone else respond with the punchline.

I'm with Carey on O'Driscoll.   I remember some tweets from players at the time that were positive about him as a coach.  Think Joe Bryan was one of them.

I'm not saying it wasn't right that he went, but he was always an interesting listen 

That was very entertaining, Louis is clearly an articulate, smart bloke grateful for the career he had had and seems very keen on self improvement.

towards the end I definitely got vibes that you might have been listening to “on the sporting coach” on talk sport @Shtanley no bad thing I must add, you seem to be able to get people to open up which is great and makes for a very engaging podcast

i do suffer from a dreadful case of not taking praise well, so I won’t go overboard and will just say, keep up the good work mate

Listened to the rest of it on way to and hone from work.

Really great listen.  Well interviewed Stanley Merton, but also credit to Louis Carey for handling the questions brilliantly.

Good to hear positive things about SOD...always thought he’d make a great DoF here.  Also he preconceptions re Cotts, and how he’d learned new stuff in France.

Best one so far....no pressure!!

I was there at York when he made his debut ad at his last game and saw most games in between a great player who speaks well, would be great as an after dinner speaker although lacks the jokes.

He glossed over the Tinnion stint as manager but loved Sean O'Driscoll and spoke well of Cottrill in fact hardly slagged off anyone apart from Pulis !

These podcasts are great to listen to give them a try.

As you can tell, I am a big Carey fan. I find it crazy that a few people don't appreciate what we had with Louis.

A lot complain about him leaving the club, and it has been mentioned on here a few times over the years that he was treated badly with his contractual situation but nobody knew for certain, glad we've now heard it from the horses mouth. 

2011/12 season (I think) we just stayed up thanks to him and Amougou forming a partnership that stopped us conceding goals. He was 35 at that point!

I've still got about 20 minutes left, I'm just at the point where he's talking about Cotterill surprising him with his approach. I think that was the same for most people!

I instantly thought of Christian Roberts when he said how a few players struggled with Tins going from mate to manager. Roberts mentions this in his book. Doesn't reflect too well on BT in that!

I still think the period under O'Driscoll was awful. The football was terrible lets not forget that. Often it was a long ball played towards the head of 5'6 Sam Baldock. I've never been more depressed as a City fan than I was at the Gate watching us under him. (Too young to remember the Pulis years)

He may have talked the talk, but he certainly didn't walk the walk. 

On 13/07/2019 at 08:57, Shtanley said:

Hello gang,

third sit down interview just went out, this time with City legend Louis Carey. 

We talk through his entire career from a schoolboy all the way to where he is now. 

Hope you all enjoy and cheers for the feedback and nice comments on the previous two.

Follow the podcast on twitter or facebook if you have it (@osibpodcast)

Subscribe to us on iTunes (The episode will appear when you do)

Listen via Libsyn

Top work @Shtanley - loved it

2 hours ago, Carey 6 said:

As you can tell, I am a big Carey fan. I find it crazy that a few people don't appreciate what we had with Louis.

A lot complain about him leaving the club, and it has been mentioned on here a few times over the years that he was treated badly with his contractual situation but nobody knew for certain, glad we've now heard it from the horses mouth. 

2011/12 season (I think) we just stayed up thanks to him and Amougou forming a partnership that stopped us conceding goals. He was 35 at that point!

I've still got about 20 minutes left, I'm just at the point where he's talking about Cotterill surprising him with his approach. I think that was the same for most people!

I instantly thought of Christian Roberts when he said how a few players struggled with Tins going from mate to manager. Roberts mentions this in his book. Doesn't reflect too well on BT in that!

I still think the period under O'Driscoll was awful. The football was terrible lets not forget that. Often it was a long ball played towards the head of 5'6 Sam Baldock. I've never been more depressed as a City fan than I was at the Gate watching us under him. (Too young to remember the Pulis years)

He was the right man in the wrong job. DoF would have suited him better.

3 hours ago, Carey 6 said:

Not listened to the interview yet, so I''ll try to avoid any spoilers on this thread ? but yeah agreed on Carey. Great for us.

Record holder, that alone speaks for itself.

On Carey and our survival from the 2011/12 Millen/McInnes season one thing does stick in the mind. Before Amougou but I do recall at at minimum in  a game v Millwall that year last minute Maynard winner, start of 2012 he was our best ball playing defender that night- even 34, 35. Had forgotten too until I did a quick search that his final game was a sub appearance v Stevenage at end of 2013! As I say no spoilers but hopefully he will explain why in the interview.

6 minutes ago, Reigate Red said:

All three have been insightful and well researched by our man Stanley. Who's up next?

Thought I had Jonathan Pearce sorted for this week but couldn't quite get organised annoyingly. Hopefully rearranged for September  

None sorted for near future.

Tony Robinson said yes for one in November. 

2 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

Thought I had Jonathan Pearce sorted for this week but couldn't quite get organised annoyingly. Hopefully rearranged for September  

Give yourself a well earned rest I say. Take it easy for a week or two before a little pre-season episode?

1 minute ago, ExiledAjax said:

Give yourself a well earned rest I say. Take it easy for a week or two before a little pre-season episode?

I’m away 25th-7th which makes everything very awkward, got enough people to fill in though. 

11 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

Any luck with Cotts yet mate? 

11 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

Time to prepare a cunning plan for Tony Robinson then?

Another brilliant interview Stanley, thank you.

Great questions answered with honesty and at times bluntness from Louis.

In particular I found his comments on Ward’s exit, Bennie’s time with us, Pulis and SOD very interesting.

Looking forward to the next one!

Great listen. Really interesting to hear his views on the big games at AG over the years from a players perspective. You can tell he still gets a buzz talking about those games now.  Three of the players mentioned by Louis that stood out for me were Noble, Elliott and Caulker.  What great players there were for us and all probably never reached their full potential for various reasons.

1 hour ago, The Wild Bunch said:

Great listen. Really interesting to hear his views on the big games at AG over the years from a players perspective. You can tell he still gets a buzz talking about those games now.  Three of the players mentioned by Louis that stood out for me were Noble, Elliott and Caulker.  What great players there were for us and all probably never reached their full potential for various reasons.

Behind the scenes info here, when he mentioned getting goosebumps he did flash me his nips. Was slightly surprised but then realised why he’d done it!

Terrific podcasts. 

To make 2x 2 hours plus of great content with GJ and Louis is terrific, not saying they can’t talk but more about drawing the stories, information etc out of them in an easy to listen way isn’t easy.

Massive kudos, really been enjoyable listen on my commutes. 

Thanks!

Two criticisms @Shtanley...

1. It's annoying that I didn't think of doing this before you, because it sounds like fun

2. You're too young for my liking, but that will improve with time

My thoughts...

I love the long form interviews and would happily have let you linger on questions longer. 

Louis was incredibly honest and ready to talk. Gary Johnson was a funny one because at times he struggled with questions, but Louis just delivered every time.

If you keep interviewing players and managers whose careers crossed you will build a great body of work. Eventually more and more detail will be pieced together.  

The more you do,  the confident you will be asking the difficult questions. You're already probing at times which is great.

Please get Tommy Doc!

By the way I was expecting this thread to discuss who Louis was referring to when he referenced older players coming in without the appetite required?!

Archived