IGNORED

Louis Carey - Extended interview

Shtanley

Just listened to this and I have to say that its changed my perception of Louis Carey in a positive way.

So thanks for that @Shtanley.

I really like that the podcasts aren't interviews as such, more of a chat with a friend - it gets the best out of them. 

Keep 'em coming.

Gary Johnson left the club after a defeat away to Plymouth. Gary on his podcast said that there had been a big bust-up at half time involving him and Ivan Sproule. 

There have always been rumours that after that game, Louis Carey led a delegation of players to Steve Lansdown to say that they could not play for Gary Johnson anymore. This seems to fit in with what Gary Johnson and Steve Lansdown and now Louis Carey have all said publicly, that the reason Gary Johnson was released was because there was a bad atmosphere around the club.

However on this podcast there seems to be proof that the story of Carey going to Lansdown to say they could not work with Johnson any more is true. Carey was not asked directly about this, but he said in passing at Gary Johnson's departure (1.36.20) "It is initially gut-wrenching 1. When someone has lost their job and 2. When you have been a part of that. But after that, it sounds brutal, but you move on."

29 minutes ago, Boston Red said:

However on this podcast there seems to be proof that the story of Carey going to Lansdown to say they could not work with Johnson any more is true. Carey was not asked directly about this, but he said in passing at Gary Johnson's departure (1.36.20) "It is initially gut-wrenching 1. When someone has lost their job and 2. When you have been a part of that. But after that, it sounds brutal, but you move on."

I'd have been interested for @Shtanley to ask Carey what his relationship with the Lansdown's is like now - not good apparently! And part of the reason he is at Saints coaching, and not City... 

9 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I'd have been interested for @Shtanley to ask Carey what his relationship with the Lansdown's is like now - not good apparently! And part of the reason he is at Saints coaching, and not City... 

Well he did seem to resist showing too much optimism about the club when asked at the end what he thought about our chances.

Surely McIndoe would be up for an interview. Hes got a book to plug.

On 16/07/2019 at 23:23, Shtanley said:

Not heard back from the 'middle man'

Amazing coup if this happens, really hope you can get it over the line - we’ve never heard the story from the man himself.

On 16/07/2019 at 17:43, Red white and red said:

I remember watching the old O’Driscoll interviews with Adam Baker. He must have been so frustrating to interview. Never answered a question just looked down, shook his head and made everything over complicated and negative. So uninspiring to play for I would imagine. 

He was a nightmare. I was training as a journalist when he was here, and went to interview him and John Ward at Rovers every week for a local station. Ward was polite, charming and really likeable.

SOD was worse than stand-offish. You’d ask him a routine question like “Will you be able to use the Cardiff game as an added motivation”, or something like that, he he’d trot out that “No, every game is the same”. I still don’t fully believe he didn’t look at the league table, because in most cases he just seemed to say anything that would go against what you were asking him.

3 minutes ago, RonWalker said:

Amazing coup if this happens, really hope you can get it over the line - we’ve never heard the story from the man himself.

Is SC actually able to talk freely about it now?

If he is on the podcast and says even 20% of what he has told people face-to-face (myself included) then there are going to be some big bombshells! 

Just now, Kid in the Riot said:

If he is on the podcast and says even 20% of what he has told people face-to-face (myself included) then there are going to be some big bombshells! 

Good question, never thought about the fact he might be under an NDA. The way he was fired was a disgrace but christ what he said to Ryan Fredericks must’ve been bad to get him signing one of them

36 minutes ago, mozo said:

Well he did seem to resist showing too much optimism about the club when asked at the end what he thought about our chances.

Surely McIndoe would be up for an interview. Hes got a book to plug.

I think that is more to do with his spirituality rather than the relationship (or lack thereof) with JL+SL. He’s big on his spiritual and ethological stuff. Doesn’t like predicting the future etc. Reiki healing he’s into iirc  

Didn’t know that rumour of the revolt so didn’t think to press more @Kid in the Riot. He did say that it was more than just a 1v1 bust up. He also said he’d be up for doing it again anytime though. 

Ill ask the friend of Cotts. Mickey Bell next player to show an interest in doing it. 

40 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Maybe people will appreciate more what was going on at the club at that time. Also the huge wasted momentum.Get him on

8 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

I think that is more to do with his spirituality rather than the relationship (or lack thereof) with JL+SL. He’s big on his spiritual and ethological stuff. Doesn’t like predicting the future etc. Reiki healing he’s into iirc  

Didn’t know that rumour of the revolt so didn’t think to press more @Kid in the Riot. He did say that it was more than just a 1v1 bust up. He also said he’d be up for doing it again anytime though. 

Ill ask the friend of Cotts. Mickey Bell next player to show an interest in doing it. 

IIRC that came through when he kept talking about people's 'energy'.

Some ideas for you...

"Curried Goat" - Stan meets Shaun Goater for a Caribbean meal and a convo about food.

"Ask the Doc" - Stan directs listeners medical questions to Tommy Doherty

"Savage Garden" Gardening tips with big Bas Savage. Let's hope he doesn't take a tumble on the way to his hydrangea...

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I'd have been interested for @Shtanley to ask Carey what his relationship with the Lansdown's is like now - not good apparently! 

Sounds plausible. Carey spoke emotionally in the podcast about how upset he was after the play off final defeat in 2004 to Brighton, when, as a top player and performer, he was offered a contract on less money. That was why he went to Coventry, and he said he was doubly bitter when they were offering new signings more than him. He must have felt that because he was a loyal Bristolian the club felt they could get away with ripping him off. He said it still made him angry now. Well, the only person he can be talking about here is Lansdown. And it is interesting to note that Lansdown has gone out of his way to offer his chosen ones a job (Jon Lansdown, Lee Johnson, Brian Tinnion, Scott Murray, Jamie Mcallister), but Louis Carey, Mr-Bristol-City, our record appearance holder, is nowhere near the club, even though he only coaches U18s at Southampton and a place could surely be found for him at our club there.

Also, the first thing he said, when asked about Gary Johnson, was "I learnt from him how not to do things.", which is a bit of a back-handed compliment. 

And if Carey pushed SL into getting rid of Gary Johnson then I suspect Lee Johnson is probably not keen on Carey.

And when Carey was asked about City's chances now he sounded very detached from it, saying they had to get a settled squad and really go for it. He sounded like an outsider looking in. 

6 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

As I understand it he has had little to no acknowledgement from the club for his legendary contributions. 

He's apparently a decent coach, and for him to not be here is a joke. 

He's lucky though, the way Saints develop their coaches is unreal. The state of our academy, particularly at the younger ages is notorious. There's a reason why so many of our "home grown" players have been recruited in at 15s onwards. 

5 hours ago, RonWalker said:

He was a nightmare. I was training as a journalist when he was here, and went to interview him and John Ward at Rovers every week for a local station. Ward was polite, charming and really likeable.

SOD was worse than stand-offish. You’d ask him a routine question like “Will you be able to use the Cardiff game as an added motivation”, or something like that, he he’d trot out that “No, every game is the same”. I still don’t fully believe he didn’t look at the league table, because in most cases he just seemed to say anything that would go against what you were asking him.

Not to be rude, but that is such a boring, uninspiring and intellectually void question.... 

Granted, playing "the game" is part of life, but surely that responsibility falls on the "journalist" to ask pertinent questions that engage the subject rather than meekly looking for some bs spiel about how a derby game means more to a group of 15 players (most of whom have no emotional ties to the club or area). 

Perhaps it's a failure of yours that the interviews were so bad? 

It’s a real shame not having Carey at the club. If he’s good enough to be working with the under 18s of one of the best academies in the country then he’s clearly as a talented coach.

Itd be nice to see him back one day.

12 hours ago, J-mat said:

Not to be rude, but that is such a boring, uninspiring and intellectually void question.... 

Granted, playing "the game" is part of life, but surely that responsibility falls on the "journalist" to ask pertinent questions that engage the subject rather than meekly looking for some bs spiel about how a derby game means more to a group of 15 players (most of whom have no emotional ties to the club or area). 

Perhaps it's a failure of yours that the interviews were so bad? 

It's not the Watergate Interviews but I think you're being a bit harsh; I'm sure he's been asked worse questions, and if he doesn't mention to the players at any point the extra importance of the game to the fans, he's not doing his job right.

I'm not suggesting I'm the world's greatest interviewer but that's one example of many to a pretty standard question, and everyone in them media around Bristol City at that time who worked with SOD found him tetchy and disagreeable - so perhaps he is difficult to work with after all.

11 hours ago, RonWalker said:

It's not the Watergate Interviews but I think you're being a bit harsh; I'm sure he's been asked worse questions, and if he doesn't mention to the players at any point the extra importance of the game to the fans, he's not doing his job right.

I'm not suggesting I'm the world's greatest interviewer but that's one example of many to a pretty standard question, and everyone in them media around Bristol City at that time who worked with SOD found him tetchy and disagreeable - so perhaps he is difficult to work with after all.

But that's surely the point, it's a standard question. It's a leading question that's pushing a particular narrative and doesn't allow for any thinking or debate.

It's why written sports journalism is dying. You've got absolute morons like John Cross at the top of the profession FFS. 

I'd sooner listen to football podcasts like the Football Ramble or On the continent than read the clichéd musings of written journalists.

On two other points, the greatest sports coach in the history of sport is Bill Belechick. Have a look at his interviews.

And finally, every player who's spoken about SOD seems to have said great things about his coaching style. Football players are infinitely better judges of a coaches ability than... Well anyone really. 

When you go back and look at the way SOD tried to communicate with the fans with his programme notes then you can see that the issue wasn't with him, but with the way football journalism has become about dumbing down the game, talking about emotions and feelings rather than about things that really matter to our understanding.

But, as I said trying not to be rude about you as an individual as I don't know anything about your journalism. 

Archived