IGNORED

Louis Carey - Extended interview

Shtanley

16 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

If there's one person I would like to see interviewed in this format and his health allowed it, Mr Terry Cooper would be top of my list by some margin.

Sounds like Stan is about my age or a little younger and if that's the case he is too young to remember the cooper era. 

22 minutes ago, Riaz said:

Sounds like Stan is about my age or a little younger and if that's the case he is too young to remember the cooper era. 

He's a journalist and a City fan. There's no doubt he'd want that interview.

13 minutes ago, Riaz said:

Yeah but his knowledge of that period of time (like mine) would be limited

Yeah mine too but actually some of his 90s guests so far were before his time (my era) but as a journo you just research the subject and try to place yourself in that time. As a fan you do that too. I used to read and reread the City history books and old programmes when I was a kid, and I love hearing about Gow and other players from before my time.

59 minutes ago, Riaz said:

Fair comment Riaz although as a journalist, the necessary research would surely be justified. It would be one hell of an interview TBH. 

On ‎22‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 21:55, J-mat said:

As I understand it he has had little to no acknowledgement from the club for his legendary contributions. 

He's apparently a decent coach, and for him to not be here is a joke. 

He's lucky though, the way Saints develop their coaches is unreal. The state of our academy, particularly at the younger ages is notorious. There's a reason why so many of our "home grown" players have been recruited in at 15s onwards. 

Its a particular interest of mine, as I have coaches kids who entered academies, have a family member within one and have acquaintances and friends who coach at development centres and academies.

Are you referring to how narrow in reach City's academy is? Lack of development centres? Skill schools?

On 23/07/2019 at 10:36, Oh Louie louie said:

I found it intresting and said a lot about the man.

Dropped under john ward and the wages cut, he never threw his toys out the pram.

Off all the people to offer a wage cut.

He was the most consistent and commited player we had in that era.

Loved that story about the bar be que!

Against the grain but personally I don’t see Carey as a City Legend 

Might have played a massive number  of games and decent player but a dressing room shop steward that didn’t always help the cause

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels the same way about Carey.

Might have played all those games...but if your face didn't fit in the dressing room and you weren't part of his clique....

Made more trouble than what it was worth from what I understand.

Totally different to the real Legends Atyeo or Cooper.

1 hour ago, Cowshed said:

Its a particular interest of mine, as I have coaches kids who entered academies, have a family member within one and have acquaintances and friends who coach at development centres and academies.

Are you referring to how narrow in reach City's academy is? Lack of development centres? Skill schools?

Have sent you a PM, Cowshed. 

On 23/07/2019 at 22:14, J-mat said:

But that's surely the point, it's a standard question. It's a leading question that's pushing a particular narrative and doesn't allow for any thinking or debate.

It's why written sports journalism is dying. You've got absolute morons like John Cross at the top of the profession FFS. 

I'd sooner listen to football podcasts like the Football Ramble or On the continent than read the clichéd musings of written journalists.

On two other points, the greatest sports coach in the history of sport is Bill Belechick. Have a look at his interviews.

And finally, every player who's spoken about SOD seems to have said great things about his coaching style. Football players are infinitely better judges of a coaches ability than... Well anyone really. 

When you go back and look at the way SOD tried to communicate with the fans with his programme notes then you can see that the issue wasn't with him, but with the way football journalism has become about dumbing down the game, talking about emotions and feelings rather than about things that really matter to our understanding.

But, as I said trying not to be rude about you as an individual as I don't know anything about your journalism. 

You're right that written journalism isn't to everyone's tastes and that it can be insipid, but when you're working for a local radio station who will use a 10-second clip of a recording then "Give me an in-depth tactical analysis of Cardiff, please Sean" wouldn't work particularly well. And as I said before, I guarantee he did use it as motivation for the players, otherwise he did a worse job than we all thought.  I think

One thing I hadn't mentioned (and had forgotten about actually) is he would often dismiss whatever you'd asked in your question at the start of his answer, but then go onto agree with you later in his reply!

There's a lot of pre-conceived ideas about the press which is fair enough, because it's looking from the outside. But when you sit and think about what people want to read, there is some place for things like the Football Ramble and The Coaches' Voice is my personal favourite but equally you can write a long, in-depth feature and find out some basic article has been received much better because it has the very sort of rudimentary topics in that you're rallying against. It's all down to personal preference but that's not to say one has a place and the other doesn't.

Back to the main point - SOD's programme notes were brilliant but he just had no understanding or attempt to co-operate with anyone trying to do their job - he constantly had run-ins with the in-house media team, partly perhaps because of "standard questions" which he evidently didn't care were part of what is essentially a positive PR campaign, but also away from the camera/microphone because from what I saw, he is (or was) a thoroughly grumpy and unhelpful individual outside of the dressing room.

Not so long ago when we had to win at forest to stay up.

Does anyone recall louis being man of the match?

Dexter blackstock poked him in the eye i think,

He was in a pretty bad way blood was everywhere.

He kept us in that game.

I think it was 2013, i recall chris wood scoring a penalty for us.

4 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Not so long ago when we had to win at forest to stay up.

Does anyone recall louis being man of the match?

Dexter blackstock poked him in the eye i think,

He was in a pretty bad way blood was everywhere.

He kept us in that game.

I think it was 2013, i recall chris wood scoring a penalty for us.

Was 2012 (Easter Saturday). 2013 was the year we went down.

Archived