Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Shtanley

Louis Carey - Extended interview

Recommended Posts

26 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

Hello gang,

third sit down interview just went out, this time with City legend Louis Carey. 

We talk through his entire career from a schoolboy all the way to where he is now. 

Hope you all enjoy and cheers for the feedback and nice comments on the previous two.

Follow the podcast on twitter or facebook if you have it (@osibpodcast)

Subscribe to us on iTunes (The episode will appear when you do)

Listen via Libsyn

Two in quick succession??

You’re spoiling us!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good insight into LCs City career, a really enjoyable listen, if a little overlong.

Very diplomatic regarding previous mangers he’d played for.His fascinating opinion on SoD was a highlight for me. It seems it was lack of people skills were an issue but that his coaching abilities were top notch and that given more time would have been successful.

Well worth listening to if you have the spare time.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Only ever heard Louis talk with honesty, passion and pride about his career and BCFC. Sounds like a very self moderated and humble guy these days.

Another great podcast in the series. Been a fascinating listen.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Robbored said:

Good insight into LCs City career, a really enjoyable listen, if a little overlong.

Very diplomatic regarding previous mangers he’d played for.His fascinating opinion on SoD was a highlight for me. It seems it was lack of people skills were an issue but that his coaching abilities were top notch and that given more time would have been successful.

Well worth listening to if you have the spare time.

 

I Know I will probably get slated for this and I can’t defend the results he got but, I honestly think he played a massive part in where we are today and started(some may argue mcguiness did with cutting the wage bill) the rebuild signing a lot of the players from out promotion season who have gone on to be at least championship standard players. I remember him saying once that if he were to run a football club, he would do it in the way Bristol city were going to (around the time they released “the five pillars”) and that he may be victim to the process but the club will eventually get to where they want to be if they stick to it.

Edited by Aipearcey
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Aipearcey said:

I Know I will probably get slated for this and I can’t defend the results he got but, I honestly think he played a massive part in where we are today and started(some may argue mcguiness did with cutting the wage bill) the rebuild signing a lot of the players from out promotion season who have gone on to be at least championship standard players. I remember him saying once that if he were to run a football club, he would do it in the way Bristol city were going to (around the time they released “the five pillars”) and that he may be victim to the process but the club will eventually get to where they want to be if they stick to it.

I think many of us would agree he played an important part in the early stages of transforming the club.

Would have been better suited to a strategic role. Despite his coaching skills his downbeat public persona was dragging morale down.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you think about LJ had a very depressing start to his managerial career at AG and if we’re not for SL sticking by him he’d have been sacked at any other club.

In Sods situation it was undoubtedly his lack of people skills that cost him his job despite him having a very similar set of results as LJ did later on.

We all know that LJ is an excellent communicator and no doubt that stood him in good stead with SL and that faith in LJ has subsequently paid off.......but who knows if SoD have been given the same support that he wouldn’t have done as well as LJ has?

Anyhow it’s all academic now.......

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

50 minutes in, so just ending the Danny Wilson era.  What a fantastic interview.  Really like Carey’s honesty, and in particular that he thought Ward was poorly treated, and that Benny would have been great in charge of development.  Looking forward to the rest.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, chinapig said:

I think many of us would agree he played an important part in the early stages of transforming the club.

Would have been better suited to a strategic role. Despite his coaching skills his downbeat public persona was dragging morale down.

Was it? Do you mean morale amongst the fans? I have only read positive things from ex players of his, have you heard differently? He definitely had a major part to play in where we are today IMO. COYR 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Shtanley said:

Hello gang,

third sit down interview just went out, this time with City legend Louis Carey. 

We talk through his entire career from a schoolboy all the way to where he is now. 

Hope you all enjoy and cheers for the feedback and nice comments on the previous two.

Follow the podcast on twitter or facebook if you have it (@osibpodcast)

Subscribe to us on iTunes (The episode will appear when you do)

Listen via Libsyn

Fair play to you mate, the podcast is getting better by the episode imo. You're a thoughtful and insigthful interviewer asking questions that we all would.

Keep up the good work!

Edited by Stortz
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Simon79 said:

Was it? Do you mean morale amongst the fans? I have only read positive things from ex players of his, have you heard differently? He definitely had a major part to play in where we are today IMO. COYR 

Yes, the fans as you say. And I did say he played a major role. It's not recognised enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SOD certainly had a part to play in the formative stages of the “new way” of BCFC, however let’s not forget just how woeful we were under his tenure and there’s every chance that we could have found ourselves in League 2, had he not been replaced. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Yes, the fans as you say. And I did say he played a major role. It's not recognised enough.

Totally agree. Some fans like someone who is good in front of the camera etc I suppose. COYR 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Will listen at some point this week. Out of interest, does LC mention what he's up to recently? Last I recall he was a youth team coach at Southampton?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Clevedon_Red said:

Will listen at some point this week. Out of interest, does LC mention what he's up to recently? Last I recall he was a youth team coach at Southampton?

Yeah coaching for u16-u18s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Robbored said:

If you think about LJ had a very depressing start to his managerial career at AG and if we’re not for SL sticking by him he’d have been sacked at any other club.

In Sods situation it was undoubtedly his lack of people skills that cost him his job despite him having a very similar set of results as LJ did later on.

We all know that LJ is an excellent communicator and no doubt that stood him in good stead with SL and that faith in LJ has subsequently paid off.......but who knows if SoD have been given the same support that he wouldn’t have done as well as LJ has?

Anyhow it’s all academic now.......

 

His first 25-30 odd games averaged out at around top 8 form.

Very depressing.

Edited by JamesBCFC
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A great listen. Also disagree that it's over long. What I like about these is that it does feel like a relaxed chat rather than an attempt to have a tight fifteen minute interview that we'd get on mainstream media and barely scratches the surface. Keep them coming please. Only addition: would be really interested to hear from these people talking through their all time personal City XIs. Although maybe that could be another series?

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh , a podcast, from the podcast guy, nod.

I remember being super excited when Sean O'Driscoll joined, and you could hear Carey light up when he spoke about his coaching. What I found interesting was how much emphasis he placed on having an assistant manager or whatever to fill in the gaps that a manager has. He sounds like he's learned a lot from the managers he's played for and will put that into use in the future.

Another thing is having a generally settled group of players and them getting on and that making such a big difference to a team. You can get new players to adapt to a culture that way, instead of acting out. What we're doing at the moment with the consistency of culture is clearly paying dividends. Louis from his own words clearly wasn't a locker room leader in the way where he could shape the culture to be positive and professional. He was definitely a follower of whatever was going on around him. And that comes from the change in managers, the change in players being brought in and having to deal with that. Everyone here was either brought in by LJ, or could have been gotten rid of by now. And the squad looks very united because of that.

Feels like Carey will be our manager one day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Prinny said:

Oh , a podcast, from the podcast guy, nod.

I remember being super excited when Sean O'Driscoll joined, and you could hear Carey light up when he spoke about his coaching. What I found interesting was how much emphasis he placed on having an assistant manager or whatever to fill in the gaps that a manager has. He sounds like he's learned a lot from the managers he's played for and will put that into use in the future.

Another thing is having a generally settled group of players and them getting on and that making such a big difference to a team. You can get new players to adapt to a culture that way, instead of acting out. What we're doing at the moment with the consistency of culture is clearly paying dividends. Louis from his own words clearly wasn't a locker room leader in the way where he could shape the culture to be positive and professional. He was definitely a follower of whatever was going on around him. And that comes from the change in managers, the change in players being brought in and having to deal with that. Everyone here was either brought in by LJ, or could have been gotten rid of by now. And the squad looks very united because of that.

Feels like Carey will be our manager one day.

Was a big fan of Louis for many years as a player. Stayed on the fence towards the end with rumours of being a leader of dressing room disquiet. My read is he’s not a fan of GJ from that interview. Harder to tell re Lee. Personally think if he had the brains or character he’d be nearer than Saints U16s by now. I like Louis but let’s move on 

  • Like 2
  • Aubergine 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I enjoyed the interview/chat very much - so thanks to Shtanley, you ask the questions we would all like to ask.

I'd love to hear a similar chat with Cotts and for you to ask him what really happened during that summer recruitment following promotion......don't think he'd want to talk about it though sadly

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The thing with O’Driscoll was that he didn’t live in the moment. Nobody wants to hear about five pillars and cosmic strategies for the future when you’re 23rd in League One losing game after game. The worst manager I’ve seen down there.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Dunc said:

Was a big fan of Louis for many years as a player. Stayed on the fence towards the end with rumours of being a leader of dressing room disquiet. My read is he’s not a fan of GJ from that interview. Harder to tell re Lee. Personally think if he had the brains or character he’d be nearer than Saints U16s by now. I like Louis but let’s move on 

Yeah coaching one of the most important age groups at arguably one the best academies in Britain, if not Europe, is a sure sign Louis lacks brains...

 

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/07/2019 at 08:57, Shtanley said:

Hello gang,

third sit down interview just went out, this time with City legend Louis Carey. 

We talk through his entire career from a schoolboy all the way to where he is now. 

Hope you all enjoy and cheers for the feedback and nice comments on the previous two.

Follow the podcast on twitter or facebook if you have it (@osibpodcast)

Subscribe to us on iTunes (The episode will appear when you do)

Listen via Libsyn

Really good interviews @Shtanley, certainly get the interviewee comfortable and happy to talk. I would echo @Tom Fleuriot comment about an individuals best City 11. I did chuckle at the 3000 plus at Mansfield in the away end.

@Code Red you may find Cotts maybe a little more open about his time at City, especially as we’re not paying him anymore. A really good interview would be Mrs Dolman if that could be arranged 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A great interview. Thoroughly enjoyable. And what an intelligent, pleasant bloke Louis is. Thanks for your efforts Stan! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Prinny said:

Oh , a podcast, from the podcast guy, nod.

I remember being super excited when Sean O'Driscoll joined, and you could hear Carey light up when he spoke about his coaching. What I found interesting was how much emphasis he placed on having an assistant manager or whatever to fill in the gaps that a manager has. He sounds like he's learned a lot from the managers he's played for and will put that into use in the future.

Another thing is having a generally settled group of players and them getting on and that making such a big difference to a team. You can get new players to adapt to a culture that way, instead of acting out. What we're doing at the moment with the consistency of culture is clearly paying dividends. Louis from his own words clearly wasn't a locker room leader in the way where he could shape the culture to be positive and professional. He was definitely a follower of whatever was going on around him. And that comes from the change in managers, the change in players being brought in and having to deal with that. Everyone here was either brought in by LJ, or could have been gotten rid of by now. And the squad looks very united because of that.

Feels like Carey will be our manager one day.

I hope not! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Stan, that made a long drive a bit more bearable.  Very enjoyable.

How about one with Sean O'Driscoll?   

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi @Shtanley, just heard your story about how you struggle with praise. Your podcast is shit. 

Excellent episode, the best one yet. I could listen to Louis Carey all day and feel he deserves to join the City academy setup in the not too distant future. As others have commented, his love of O'Driscoll is really interesting. Everything he said was completely honest and it was really refreshing to hear. 

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, RedSkin said:

Thanks Stan, that made a long drive a bit more bearable.  Very enjoyable.

How about one with Sean O'Driscoll?   

Now what sort of question is that?

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Now what sort of question is that?

I'll let someone else respond with the punchline.

I'm with Carey on O'Driscoll.   I remember some tweets from players at the time that were positive about him as a coach.  Think Joe Bryan was one of them.

I'm not saying it wasn't right that he went, but he was always an interesting listen 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That was very entertaining, Louis is clearly an articulate, smart bloke grateful for the career he had had and seems very keen on self improvement.

towards the end I definitely got vibes that you might have been listening to “on the sporting coach” on talk sport @Shtanley no bad thing I must add, you seem to be able to get people to open up which is great and makes for a very engaging podcast

 

i do suffer from a dreadful case of not taking praise well, so I won’t go overboard and will just say, keep up the good work mate

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Listened to the rest of it on way to and hone from work.

Really great listen.  Well interviewed Stanley Merton, but also credit to Louis Carey for handling the questions brilliantly.

Good to hear positive things about SOD...always thought he’d make a great DoF here.  Also he preconceptions re Cotts, and how he’d learned new stuff in France.

Best one so far....no pressure!!

  • Flames 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was there at York when he made his debut ad at his last game and saw most games in between a great player who speaks well, would be great as an after dinner speaker although lacks the jokes.

He glossed over the Tinnion stint as manager but loved Sean O'Driscoll and spoke well of Cottrill in fact hardly slagged off anyone apart from Pulis !

These podcasts are great to listen to give them a try.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As you can tell, I am a big Carey fan. I find it crazy that a few people don't appreciate what we had with Louis.

A lot complain about him leaving the club, and it has been mentioned on here a few times over the years that he was treated badly with his contractual situation but nobody knew for certain, glad we've now heard it from the horses mouth. 

2011/12 season (I think) we just stayed up thanks to him and Amougou forming a partnership that stopped us conceding goals. He was 35 at that point!

I've still got about 20 minutes left, I'm just at the point where he's talking about Cotterill surprising him with his approach. I think that was the same for most people!

I instantly thought of Christian Roberts when he said how a few players struggled with Tins going from mate to manager. Roberts mentions this in his book. Doesn't reflect too well on BT in that!

I still think the period under O'Driscoll was awful. The football was terrible lets not forget that. Often it was a long ball played towards the head of 5'6 Sam Baldock. I've never been more depressed as a City fan than I was at the Gate watching us under him. (Too young to remember the Pulis years)

He may have talked the talk, but he certainly didn't walk the walk. 

 

 

Edited by Carey 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/07/2019 at 08:57, Shtanley said:

Hello gang,

third sit down interview just went out, this time with City legend Louis Carey. 

We talk through his entire career from a schoolboy all the way to where he is now. 

Hope you all enjoy and cheers for the feedback and nice comments on the previous two.

Follow the podcast on twitter or facebook if you have it (@osibpodcast)

Subscribe to us on iTunes (The episode will appear when you do)

Listen via Libsyn

Top work @Shtanley - loved it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Carey 6 said:

As you can tell, I am a big Carey fan. I find it crazy that a few people don't appreciate what we had with Louis.

A lot complain about him leaving the club, and it has been mentioned on here a few times over the years that he was treated badly with his contractual situation but nobody knew for certain, glad we've now heard it from the horses mouth. 

2011/12 season (I think) we just stayed up thanks to him and Amougou forming a partnership that stopped us conceding goals. He was 35 at that point!

I've still got about 20 minutes left, I'm just at the point where he's talking about Cotterill surprising him with his approach. I think that was the same for most people!

I instantly thought of Christian Roberts when he said how a few players struggled with Tins going from mate to manager. Roberts mentions this in his book. Doesn't reflect too well on BT in that!

I still think the period under O'Driscoll was awful. The football was terrible lets not forget that. Often it was a long ball played towards the head of 5'6 Sam Baldock. I've never been more depressed as a City fan than I was at the Gate watching us under him. (Too young to remember the Pulis years)

He may have talked the talk, but he certainly didn't walk the walk. 

 

 

He was the right man in the wrong job. DoF would have suited him better.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Carey 6 said:

As you can tell, I am a big Carey fan. I find it crazy that a few people don't appreciate what we had with Louis.

A lot complain about him leaving the club, and it has been mentioned on here a few times over the years that he was treated badly with his contractual situation but nobody knew for certain, glad we've now heard it from the horses mouth. 

2011/12 season (I think) we just stayed up thanks to him and Amougou forming a partnership that stopped us conceding goals. He was 35 at that point!

I've still got about 20 minutes left, I'm just at the point where he's talking about Cotterill surprising him with his approach. I think that was the same for most people!

I instantly thought of Christian Roberts when he said how a few players struggled with Tins going from mate to manager. Roberts mentions this in his book. Doesn't reflect too well on BT in that!

I still think the period under O'Driscoll was awful. The football was terrible lets not forget that. Often it was a long ball played towards the head of 5'6 Sam Baldock. I've never been more depressed as a City fan than I was at the Gate watching us under him. (Too young to remember the Pulis years)

He may have talked the talk, but he certainly didn't walk the walk. 

 

 

Not listened to the interview yet, so I''ll try to avoid any spoilers on this thread 🙈 but yeah agreed on Carey. Great for us.

Record holder, that alone speaks for itself.

On Carey and our survival from the 2011/12 Millen/McInnes season one thing does stick in the mind. Before Amougou but I do recall at at minimum in  a game v Millwall that year last minute Maynard winner, start of 2012 he was our best ball playing defender that night- even 34, 35. Had forgotten too until I did a quick search that his final game was a sub appearance v Stevenage at end of 2013! As I say no spoilers but hopefully he will explain why in the interview.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember watching the old O’Driscoll interviews with Adam Baker. He must have been so frustrating to interview. Never answered a question just looked down, shook his head and made everything over complicated and negative. So uninspiring to play for I would imagine. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Reigate Red said:

All three have been insightful and well researched by our man Stanley. Who's up next?

Thought I had Jonathan Pearce sorted for this week but couldn't quite get organised annoyingly. Hopefully rearranged for September  

None sorted for near future.

Tony Robinson said yes for one in November. 

 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

Thought I had Jonathan Pearce sorted for this week but couldn't quite get organised annoyingly. Hopefully rearranged for September  

None sorted for near future.

Tony Robinson said yes for one in November. 

 

Give yourself a well earned rest I say. Take it easy for a week or two before a little pre-season episode?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ExiledAjax said:

Give yourself a well earned rest I say. Take it easy for a week or two before a little pre-season episode?

I’m away 25th-7th which makes everything very awkward, got enough people to fill in though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

Thought I had Jonathan Pearce sorted for this week but couldn't quite get organised annoyingly. Hopefully rearranged for September  

None sorted for near future.

Tony Robinson said yes for one in November. 

 

Any luck with Cotts yet mate? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...