Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

So what do we do with Callum?

If we get good offers then I would sell. But if we do not receive good offers then I would keep him till January at least.

By January if we are in with a chance of the playoffs and Callum has been a key player, then I would keep him till the end of the season and risk losing him for nothing.

If we are realistically out of the playoff race, or if we are still in it but Callum has not been playing regularly then I would sell in January with percentage of future profit.

That percentage of profit could be quite a lot in the future, even if we don't get much of a fee up front.

It all depends how much teams are willing to offer now. If it is only a few million then I would keep him as I think he still has a lot to offer this season.

People will say 'if he doesn't want to be here then get rid'. But that is not very smart imo. Ashton will not get good money for him if he is to think like that.

• Like 1

If his attitude improves and he wants to fight for his place, keep if not let him go asap. I think he had his head turned by a manager who is no longer at that club.

Best for all concerned that he goes soon if he isn’t signing the contract. LJ called him out so their relationship wont be the same. Hes a good player but maybe not first choice anymore, give greater responsibility to Eliasson etc

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Matty_Taylor_is_god said:

From the videos on social media he looks sharp and happy. Hoping he signs a new deal, could be a big player for us this season

Yes he does doesn’t he.

5 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Best for all concerned that he goes soon if he isn’t signing the contract. LJ called him out so their relationship wont be the same. Hes a good player but maybe not first choice anymore, give greater responsibility to Eliasson etc

Yep, pretty black and white imho.

1) sign a contract, re-integrate with squad and put it down to a parent trying to live his life through his son.  Imagine COD Snr, son of a famous Irish singer, father to an Irish international...but what is he himself?  Callum is a player who is improving.  I’d rather see that hear if he’ll sign a contract.

2) if he’s still intent on not signing, then try to get rid of now, when his value will be higher than January.  There will be takers at the right price, and it will free up wages which would probably be 2 to 3 times what he’s on now had a signed a new deal.  That price won’t be £4-5m though.

• Like 3

Here's a crazy suggestion that I haven't seen before... Could O'Dowda play as a striker?!

He's got the physical requirements: quick, athletic, tall. He's also proved that he can score good goals, albeit cutting in from out wide.

But could he lead the line? On the shoulder of centre backs? 

• Hmmm 1

2 minutes ago, mozo said:

Here's a crazy suggestion that I haven't seen before... Could O'Dowda play as a striker?!

He's got the physical requirements: quick, athletic, tall. He's also proved that he can score good goals, albeit cutting in from out wide.

No but could be very useful on the left/right of a front 3. 

• Like 1

City offered what he wanted in terms of a new contract....he then turns it down 🤔 - didn’t/doesn’t want to be here and so get rid....de ja vu from his time at Oxford.

Clearly continues to be mid-advised by daddy!

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Loosey Boy said:

City offered what he wanted in terms of a new contract....he then turns it down 🤔 - didn’t/doesn’t want to be here and so get rid....de ja vu from his time at Oxford.

And that’s what sticks with me . The club stated by LJ met the players demands and then still refused to sign. He and his agent thought they would get the big move. And as of yet hasn’t materialised. He could leave in 12 months for nothing. Not good in my opinion 

13 minutes ago, mozo said:

Not a crazy suggestion at all. I have said before that he looked very good there a couple of times when he has been up top on his own when we have been hanging on in games. Stoke in the League cup 2-0 win he went up top on his own in the final 10 minutes or so. He was an absolute handful on the counter.

He has also played just off of Diedhiou and they seemed to really work well together. That pace, energy and bit of power in behind Fam really worked well.

19 minutes ago, Kingswoodactor said:

No but could be very useful on the left/right of a front 3. 

Or in a narrow 3 behind the striker. We have a range of players who could play in that 3, a system that would suit us well imo.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Loosey Boy said:

Didn’t I hear something about it isn’t about money?

That implies either he doesn’t like the management, the area or thinks he should play at a higher level with Leeds or Notts Forest - who seem our equivalents.

In 2 years, he’s had a couple of good games and scored one decent goal. Been injured a lot.

Seems to have well and truly burnt his bridges with the Club and supporters.Think we’ve bought in his replacement(s) already.

Better gone and get him to say ‘hello’ to Zac and his dad on the way down. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Moor2Sea said:

Didn’t I hear something about it isn’t about money?

That implies either he doesn’t like the management, the area or thinks he should play at a higher level with Leeds or Notts Forest - who seem our equivalents.

In 2 years, he’s had a couple of good games and scored one decent goal. Been injured a lot.

Seems to have well and truly burnt his bridges with the Club and supporters.Think we’ve bought in his replacement(s) already.

Better gone and get him to say ‘hello’ to Zac and his dad on the way down. 

Reportedly he agreed the contract then reneged on it. Seems likely he was persuaded big clubs were in for him. If so they are taking their time about it.

If we’re keeping last seasons formation then he’s the first winger on the team sheet for me. If he goes then we need to bring in another quality winger. Hopefully he’ll stay and sign a contract. We’re only a right back and a striker away from a real quality squad with depth.

He’ll sign a new contract and have some humble pie washed down with cider whilst he’s signing it. 

He’s received bad advice maybe from now on he won’t be so keen to listen to Pops prattling shite in his ear. 

Hasnt made it to the big time yet and his best chance of doing so is with city. 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, OldlandReddies said:

Just a hunch.

You're Richard III?! 

• Haha 2

If he is interested in resigning now I’d probably be offering him less. Can spin it by saying we were planning to sell because he refused the first and can only afford a lesser amount

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Loosey Boy said:

His daddy’s mis-advice got him a move here 

6 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

We're converting him into a left back which will:

1. P**s him off making him more determined to leave

2. Give him a new challenge that persuades him to stay

I don’t think we are. Just finding a space to give him game time. 

1 minute ago, RedDave said:

His daddy’s mis-advice got him a move here 

I don’t think we are. Just finding a space to give him game time. 

I should have used an emoji. It was a tongue in cheek comment. However, with LJ who knows! 

Call me old school but how about sign a new contract and show us/club the same faith and phenomenal treatment that we showed him when he had a potentially career ending injury!

Daddy OD obviously has short term memory loss

Edited by RaspberryRed

3 hours ago, chinapig said:

Or in a narrow 3 behind the striker. We have a range of players who could play in that 3, a system that would suit us well imo.

I think we will be playing a 4231 with a narrow 3 this season.

2 hours ago, Westcountry Robins said:

He’ll sign a new contract and have some humble pie washed down with cider whilst he’s signing it. 

He’s received bad advice maybe from now on he won’t be so keen to listen to Pops prattling shite in his ear. 

Hasnt made it to the big time yet and his best chance of doing so is with city. 

100% agree (hope).

It would be bad for City if a player we’ve invested a lot in goes for less value than he’s worth because of contract situation.

Never really been sold on him, he’s got 5 goals and 10 assists in 89 Champ games for us. Eliasson, meanwhile, has 2 goals and 6 assists in 46 Champ games. Eliasson is nearly literally twice the player he is. Get rid of Callum and finally give our Swedish king his due. 

• Haha 1
  • Hmmm 4

4 minutes ago, Wade Wilson said:

Never really been sold on him, he’s got 5 goals and 10 assists in 89 Champ games for us. Eliasson, meanwhile, has 2 goals and 6 assists in 46 Champ games. Eliasson is nearly literally twice the player he is. Get rid of Callum and finally give our Swedish king his due. 

Eh? That’s pretty much the same ratio per game? 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Flames 1

One meeting, offer a reduced offer from the terms agreed (to show we hold the cards as no one is in for him) sign now or release him 

If he isn’t signing a new deal then get him out ASAP while we can still get a fee for him. 

Seems to think a lot higher of himself than his performances have ever justified as far as I can tell. 

• Like 6

48 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

We're converting him into a left back which will:

1. P**s him off making him more determined to leave

2. Give him a new challenge that persuades him to stay

He could potentially make an excellent left back. A couple of seasons ago there were times late in games when he was almost like a left back covering Bryan, and putting in excellent challenges. His defensive work is underrated.

And although O'Dowda has got a trick, he can sometimes get lost out wide, certainly at home. He seems to require space to attack. That's what you get as a full back more than a wide man, certainly in those home games when we have most of the possession he has gone missing on the left wing.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

He could potentially make an excellent left back. A couple of seasons ago there were times late in games when he was almost like a left back covering Bryan, and putting in excellent challenges. His defensive work is underrated.

And although O'Dowda has got a trick, he can sometimes get lost out wide, certainly at home. He seems to require space to attack. That's what you get as a full back more than a wide man, certainly in those home games when we have most of the possession he has gone missing on the left wing.

Agree, perhaps a left wing back? Hes an excellent athlete too, and could do that role

Personally hope he signs a new contract. With regards him playing at left back, could it not be just a way of getting him some minutes? Could it not be a way of getting him to see his role in the team from a different perspective? Rather than LJ trying to p**s him off? COYR 

4 hours ago, Wade Wilson said:

A bit better on the whole cause Eliasson has started way less games. 

COD has played twice as many minutes 4600 (Nic 2300).

Started twice as many games 48 (Nic 24)

So their stats are pretty equal.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

COD has played twice as many minutes 4600 (Nic 2300).

Started twice as many games 48 (Nic 24)

So their stats are pretty equal.

Haven't both of Eliassons goals been a bit special? So they count double of course!

Edited by JamesBCFC
  • Hmmm 1

8 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Haven't both of Eliassons goals been a bit special? So they count double of course!

Unlike O’Dowda’s pair home and away v Norwich???

Why am I debating this, i’m Not even a huge fan of O’Dowda!

Edited by Davefevs

O'Dowda and Eliasson's only similarities are that they're both quick and left footed. They're completely different players that bring completely different things to the team.

15 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Unlike O’Dowda’s pair home and away v Norwich???

Why am I debating this, i’m Not even a huge fan of O’Dowda!

Was in jest Dave. O'Dowda also scored a very good goal against Palace, albeit pouncing on some amateurish defending.

I like O’Dowda, I think he offers something we don’t have in the squad especially when running through the middle but if he won’t sign then get rid.  The individual isn’t better than the whole.

Still time to sell O'Dowda before the season starts but probably not for the price the club hoped, assuming that anyone still actually wants him. Now O'Neill has been sacked, the Forest move seems unlikely, while there's not much sign of intent from Elland Road.

If he doesn't go this window, I would suggest it's the "freezer" treatment: "Go and train with the U23s, and you won't be seeing the first team again until you sign s new contract. And by the way Eliasson is a much better crosser of the ball than you, better at corners than you and has a better attitude than you. So if you do want to make it back into the team, I suggest you get practising hard during those U23 games that no one external, including the RoI manager, will be watching."

Harsh? Very. Fair? Absolutely. No one is bigger than the club. And if you think you are, then either you should leave or you should soon realise what not playing is actually like. In short, stop being a Prima Donna and start acting like a professional!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JonDolman said:

5 hours ago, Simon bristol said:

Agree, perhaps a left wing back? Hes an excellent athlete too, and could do that role

4 hours ago, Simon79 said:

Personally hope he signs a new contract. With regards him playing at left back, could it not be just a way of getting him some minutes? Could it not be a way of getting him to see his role in the team from a different perspective? Rather than LJ trying to p**s him off? COYR 

Regards Callum playing as a left back. I was similarly surprised to see him there in a couple of the games so far, but I heard something from a mate when at Wimbledon on Tuesday which was of interest. 

My mate had a brief chat with Roy Keane outside AG last season, when he was down here watching Callum. Obviously Keane (and O’Neill), when they were at Forest were keen on Callum. Keano told my mate, and I quote “you keep playing him on the wing all the time, we see him as a left back”. 

So, whether Callum sees/knows this himself, the interest that was there from Forest was potentially for him to be going there and moving to left back. 

Whether Forest are even in for him any more now that O’Neill has left is another matter. But I can state for a fact that they were interested in him and saw his future as a left back. 

So, with LJ trying him out there, a lot of us have seen that as a ‘punishment’ as such, but maybe, just maybe, LJ is looking to convert him - he’d be 3rd choice there for me, but still. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

7 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

Still time to sell O'Dowda before the season starts but probably not for the price the club hoped, assuming that anyone still actually wants him. Now O'Neill has been sacked, the Forest move seems unlikely, while there's not much sign of intent from Elland Road.

If he doesn't go this window, I would suggest it's the "freezer" treatment: "Go and train with the U23s, and you won't be seeing the first team again until you sign s new contract. And by the way Eliasson is a much better crosser of the ball than you, better at corners than you and has a better attitude than you. So if you do want to make it back into the team, I suggest you get practising hard during those U23 games that no one external, including the RoI manager, will be watching."

Harsh? Very. Fair? Absolutely. No one is bigger than the club. And if you think you are, then either you should leave or you should soon realise what not playing is actually like. In short, stop being a Prima Donna and start acting like a professional!

That seems like a good management plan........

Diminish any value to nothing , and that sort of treatment not a good reflection or reputation for the Club going forward

These are multi million pound assets , not labourers on a building site 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Harry said:

Regards Callum playing as a left back. I was similarly surprised to see him there in a couple of the games so far, but I heard something from a mate when at Wimbledon on Tuesday which was of interest. 

My mate had a brief chat with Roy Keane outside AG last season, when he was down here watching Callum. Obviously Keane (and O’Neill), when they were at Forest were keen on Callum. Keano told my mate, and I quote “you keep playing him on the wing all the time, we see him as a left back”. 

So, whether Callum sees/knows this himself, the interest that was there from Forest was potentially for him to be going there and moving to left back. 

Whether Forest are even in for him any more now that O’Neill has left is another matter. But I can state for a fact that they were interested in him and saw his future as a left back. 

So, with LJ trying him out there, a lot of us have seen that as a ‘punishment’ as such, but maybe, just maybe, LJ is looking to convert him - he’d be 3rd choice there for me, but still. 

Interesting. Well the punishment thing is nonsense anyway. So if he wants to play left back, and maybe LJ now sees him as our back up left back, the fact he is back up might be the problem in him signing a new deal.

7 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

Taking the emotion out of it, I'm sure LJ/MA will try to do what's right for the club. But there's nothing stopping O'Dowda running his contract down in the hope of a much bigger payday on the back-end. So even if we get 'suitable' offers COD might not want to go anywhere.

What he needs to understand is that being a c0ck only gets you so far unless you've got the talent and work ethic to back it up. He's arguably got some of the former, but not much of the latter. If he turnd into a Tomlin type he should expect the number of decent clubs interested in employing him to drop like a stone.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Harry said:

Thanks, very interesting insight as usual.

9 hours ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

O Dowda is rubbish, sell him and get someone better 

rubbish 

• Like 1